PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix III - started

mcchaddy
23rd January 2007, 10:53 PM
Hi All,

Well I have made a start. I have cut templates for the Rudder, Cheeks and filler. I'm so glad I cut out templates first as I would have ruined a nice piece of 18mm Hoop Pine Ply.

Having studied the plans for days now and deciding that this is where I would start. I marked out the grid for the Rudder using 50mm squares as outlined in the plans. The scale was 1:5 and that meant the rudder would be approximately 700mm H x 300mm W(not including cheeks).

As I sat looking at the great work I had just cut out the nice lines of the curves cut with the jigsaw. I realised that something was amiss. It seemed so big for a little boat. Then it dawn on me that I had reverse the scale on the Height and got it right on the width. My first attempt was a 1400mm h x 300mm W rudder.

Oh well, like I said, better it was done in 3mm MDF than Hoop Pine ply. I will start cutting out MDF frames this weekend. Hopefully will have some oictures for you next week.

Cheers.

Michael.

KRH
23rd January 2007, 11:32 PM
Hi Michael

Glad to see you have started and looking forward to the pics.

By coincidence, my Phoenix III plans arrived today. What a great set of plans and instructions! I have read through them once and there is not too much I don't understand. Looking forward to starting as soon as I can get my act together.

Regards

Ken

onthebeachalone
24th January 2007, 03:16 PM
I realised that something was amiss. Isn't it great when that happens. You know something's bound to go wrong. Very reassuring once you know what it is.
:doh:
Looking forward to more progress reports...

Deefa
24th January 2007, 08:12 PM
Good to see another Pheonix started around SE Qld, I went up to Caloundra to have a look at the first on last year... a real nice boat. Ross will give you as much assistance as you require, great guy to deal with. Hope it all progresse well.

KRH
12th February 2007, 09:07 PM
Hi Michael.

How's it going. I have built a few cleats and fairlears, the tiller and mast partner. I'll post pictures soon.

Any pictures of your progress yet?

Ken

mcchaddy
12th February 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Ken

I have cut out patterns for the rudder, cheeks, filler and stems. I need to buy some Hoop pine ply. I have some white oak which i am using for the tiller, cleats, mast partner and step. I have marked it out but not cut it. I using some oregon for the skeg. I was given a heap of old hoop pine and oregon by an uncle. So i'm trying to but it to good use.

Tonight I have been working out the building frame. I have 2 I beams 300mm deep and 6m long. I want to use the building frame for another project I have so i'm figuring out the best size to make it so it will accomodate the other boat when the time comes.

I have marked out the first mould but have not cut it out. I wont do that until i know the actual width of the building frame.

Cheers

Michael.

mcchaddy
15th February 2007, 09:29 PM
Hi All,

I have just finished the strongback for the Phoenix III. I used 2 x 300mm I beams. It is 5mtrs long and 800mm wide. It is 500mm off the ground. I will hopefully have some of the moulds on this weekend.

Here are some photo's

Michael.

onthebeachalone
16th February 2007, 08:51 AM
I have just finished the strongback for the Phoenix IIIThat sure looks STRONG! It should do the job for this, and the next few boats, even if they grow quite a bit. :wtg:

I take it you can buy the I-Beams already made up? They are just ideal for the job aren't they?

Looking forward to progress pics.

KRH
18th February 2007, 12:07 PM
Hi All,

I have just finished the strongback for the Phoenix III. I used 2 x 300mm I beams. It is 5mtrs long and 800mm wide. It is 500mm off the ground. I will hopefully have some of the moulds on this weekend.

Here are some photo's

Michael.

Look great Michael. What price are the I beams? I intend to use structual beams of some sort and there are various types available. Yours look exceptionally strong.

I'm still awaiting the move to the new house and shed (about 4 weeks away now). Can't wait to get started. Though I will have to try and moderate SHMBO's new garden requirements. But I will probably lose that one.

Regards

Ken

mcchaddy
18th February 2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Ken,

The I beams were cheap as I got them from a builder friend. They are usually around 80 - 120 for a 6m by 300mm deep. I got 4 of them for $140.

I have cut all the temporary molds and positioned them on the strongback. Still need level them and fix them to the cross braces.

Here are some photo's

mcchaddy
20th February 2007, 08:13 PM
Hi All,

Well things are progressing along. I cut the tiller handle(see Photo) this afternoon and started to shape it. Its made from White Oak. It is extremely strong, dense timber. I think the rudder would break before the tiller did.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should coat it with. My cousin uses Linseed oil. I was thinking of epoxy.

Also, I'm trying to decide what ply to use for the bulkheads. Either Pacific Maple or Hoop pine. Pacific maple is a lot cheaper but i'm told not as good a quality as the hoop pine. Any thoughts on this and where to source hoop pine ply in the brisbane area.

Thanks

Michael.

Deefa
20th February 2007, 08:44 PM
G'day Micheal

The tiller looks good, I reckon it would look better if it was oiled.

I am using Pacific Maple marine ply for my boat (and the previous one) and while it is lighter and cheaper than hoop pine it also is harder to cut without buring the edges. This batch also has the odd void. Not a big deal if you are using a lot of fillets to cover the edge cuts but not so good if you arte going for a clear finish anywhere. :C

I decided up front to go for a painted finish so it's not a big deal but I would be dissapointed with the Pacific Maple if my abilities were good enough to warrant a nice clear finish.

Sharp Plywood, Brisbane (07 3271 4511) can supply Hoop Pine ply.

eemgee
4th March 2007, 06:04 PM
Michael & Ken,
My good friend Andy is about to start on a Phoenix III and although an experienced boat builder in steel is looking for as much help in wood as he can muster. He is expecting his plans this week after much perusing of the study plans. I mentioned that I would look on the forum to see if anyone is building one & although he is not computer literate I was hoping that maybe he could ring you up occasionally if he runs into any trouble or wants to let you know at what stage he's at.
If you don't mind, can you send me a personal message.
I intend to take photo's of his progress to post on the forum so that he can pass on any tips to anyone else building one.
Wayne

mcchaddy
5th March 2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Wayne,

Only to happy to help where I can. I'm a complete novice to boat building myself. There are guys on this forum far more knowledgable then me when it comes to building boats. But i'm learning fast.

But i'm only to happy to share/swap experiences and problems I have had building the Phoenix. So far there have been none, but then again all i have done is cut out moulds and templates.

Cheers.

Michael.

mcchaddy
25th November 2007, 10:16 PM
Hi All,

It has been a long time but I finally got some time this weekend to work on the boat. All the moulds and Bulkheads have been setup on the strongback. The Stem is in place and I have dry fitted the Keelson. Everything looks to be fair and in order.

I just picked up 4 sheets of hoop pine ply. Need to scraf them and start planking soon hopefully.