PDA

View Full Version : Ring Rolls For Boxes

Boxinator
24th January 2007, 02:47 AM
Any of you guys make your own ring rolls and if so how do you go about it? I just can't find anything I want to use. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Corey

mlsa
24th January 2007, 08:39 AM
Any of you guys make your own ring rolls and if so how do you go about it? I just can't find anything I want to use. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Corey

Ok, this Texas boy will play the dummy? What's a ring roll?

Boxinator
24th January 2007, 09:37 AM
Hi David.. I am referring to those dividers that are in jewlery boxes covered in velvet material that you stick a ring down in between the 2 rolls. I know you have seen them and maybe that isn't what they are really called, but I have seen them called that before. :)

Corey

masoth
24th January 2007, 09:57 AM
Dense sponge rubber waste (off cuts) from a bedding manufacturer:

Method one: Cut to size and using a sharp knife carefully cut out a groove. Cover with velvet and push into the groove; and

Method two: (the best option) Cut pieces of rubber to fit the box(?) and comlpetely cover in velvet. Then insert tightly into box. This is better because when removing ring or other displayed item the velvet is not pulled out/wrinkled.

Boxinator
24th January 2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks Masoth, that gives me some ideas, appreciate it!

Corey

Barry_White
24th January 2007, 01:25 PM
Here in Australia in our Bunnings Stores they sell a round dense foam in various diameters that they use in the building industry as a filler strip in brick or concrete joints in walls.

They push this into the joint and then use sealant such as silicone or sikaflex to close the gap.

I am sure that it would be available over in the States at one of the larger building supply stores. I think the right term for it is "Joint Filler" You could use this and cover it with velvet or some other material to make your ring rolls,

Boxinator
24th January 2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks Bazza! I will have to give a look around!

Corey

Barry_White
24th January 2007, 01:40 PM
Actually it is called backer rod.

Have a look at this site 2nd product down.

http://www.harperandcompany.com/products/products_maintenance_patch.htm

Boxinator
24th January 2007, 03:51 PM
That looks perfect! Thanks will see if I can find some!

Corey

Sprog
24th January 2007, 05:38 PM
How about this?

Boxinator
25th January 2007, 12:46 AM
Hmmm that looks good to Sprog, thanks. Any idea where to get those in the USA?

Corey

joe greiner
25th January 2007, 01:36 AM
Hmmm that looks good to Sprog, thanks. Any idea where to get those in the USA?

Corey

Home Despot or Lowest. Paint department. Near the sealants.

Joe

Bwillie
25th January 2007, 04:49 AM

Thanks,
Corey

OK Corey, gonna give you a highly valued secret. Perfect density and sponginess (I Think), is....3/4 inch x 1/2 thick weather strip purchased at Lowes in 10 ft. rolls. One side has adhesive and you pull off the tape.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=66682-81-02311&pad=true

I take some suede cut to greater than the size of the ring roll (in this case...rectangular in shape) , stick the foam on since it has one side sticky, and use 3M 77 spray adhesive all over the rest. I wrap it and sort of cut and fold the ends on, using a razor knife to cut slits on the end to help fold. I've tried lots of foam, but this works the best, especially because the weather strip has one adehisive side that helps to pre stick it to the lining material before spraying the 77 on the rest of it.

Beautiful ring holders. But not round on top. I actually prefer a more squared off look.

Hope this helps,

ICN,

Bill

ciscokid
25th January 2007, 06:55 AM
Great tip, BWillie. Got any pictures of one of those?

Boxinator
25th January 2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks all for the help, got some great ideas!

Corey

Billylad
25th January 2007, 08:07 PM
I agree,any chance of pictures bwilly.:D

Bwillie
26th January 2007, 03:46 AM
I agree,any chance of pictures bwilly.:D

I'm actually finsihing one box now...I'll take a few pics tonight and post them.

ICN,

Bill

masoth
26th January 2007, 08:36 AM
...... and I agree with Bwillie: "But not round on top. I actually prefer a more squared off look.", a much tidier presentation.:2tsup:

soth

Big Shed
26th January 2007, 04:58 PM
Just skipping thru some FWW magazines whilst watching the cricket, too hot in the shed today!

Reading an article about boxes in #185, pg 79, "How to make ring holders"

Hope that helps

Fred

Bwillie
27th January 2007, 02:12 AM

Corey, BillyLad and Cisco,

Here is one ring holder that I just completed. The tray still needs sanding and finishing but I'll do that later.

I may replace one or two that are a little too long as you can see the crinkle, but hey...you get the idea. Also in the last pic, the flash didn't go off, so they are not really that dark. The 3rd and 4th pic are near the true color which is a very light (not white) suede. This synthetic suede was from JoAnnes Fabrics "Liz Clayborne style" at $20 yard which I bought on sale at $10 yard.

Hickory
27th January 2007, 04:53 AM
I tried making them in much the same manner as discribed by the aforementioned (more skilled than I) Craftsmen. With great disappointment. :~

I did find a Woodworking store that had just what I wanted.
Padded Ring Bars.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9875 This Catalog lists a small piece for $2.89 (USD) but I was in their store just this week and they had a long section (perhaps 4" X 16" in length) that you can cut to your size. (didn't check the price) :doh:

The price is minimal compared to the frustration :C

ciscokid
27th January 2007, 06:10 AM
Thank you, BWillie. The photos were exactly what I needed. For some reason, I was thinking of slicing the foam part of the way through and somehow tucking a fold of the suede material down into the slice before completing the wrap. Couldn't figure out what I would do with the ends if I did that.
The way you do it is much easier. And the best part of your process is that if you make only three rolls, you get two slots for rings. I expect they would hold earrings just fine also.
Next week, I will hit a Michael's craft store for the necessary materials.

Thank you! This is really most helpful.

zenwood
27th January 2007, 07:38 AM
Another method is to fold the cloth concertina-style and insert foam (and glue) between the folds.

Big Shed
27th January 2007, 09:23 AM
That is how they did it in the above FWW article.

Boxinator
27th January 2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for doing that Bill, sure appreciate it. A picture is worth a 1000 words.
Thanks again,
Corey

Bwillie
27th January 2007, 01:30 PM
Another method is to fold the cloth concertina-style and insert foam (and glue) between the folds.

Yep. Forgot about that one. :2tsup:

Thanks

Billylad
29th January 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks Bwilli,we always learn from you.