PDA

View Full Version : Learner

Sarge
3rd June 2003, 07:25 AM
Hi guys....(and Girls)

I have just purchased a lathe for the first time, I have never used one before and am in need of lots of training and advice.

Firstly, what is the best book to buy that will teach me all I need to know, well at least most of what I need to know ??

Secondly, whats the best wood to practice with, would it be pine, nice and cheap and plenty of off cut around my shed, or should I practice with some thing else ??

Thirdly, I purchased a set of six Record chisels, obviously I don't know how to use them yet, for my standard, beginner, is this everything I need ??

All advice is most welcome

Thanks

JackoH
3rd June 2003, 10:27 AM
Get some lessons.Or at least join a club.PLEASE! (See links on this B.B.or try :-Eltham & District Woodworkers
PO Box 701
(03)9439 7088 Eltham 3095 )
Also lots of discussion over the years, and lots of advice in the archives.
:D

arose62
3rd June 2003, 11:11 AM
My first half-dozen turnings were all pine bits-n-pieces.

The very first thing I turned started out just to be a round bit of wood, as I learned what a roughing gouge did. Then, I sort of turned it into a mallet, and 4 revisions later, it's one of the most used tools I have !

I use it to thump the drive centre into bits of wood, to tap turnings into a jam chuck, to fit handles onto tools, etc. etc.

Pine also makes OK toilet roll holders, and paper towel holders, and even (lightweight) gavels.

I suggest you read up on 1) "rubbing the bevel", and 2) sharpening.

Cheers,
Andrew

barnsey
3rd June 2003, 11:17 AM
G'day Sarge,

I was lucky - my old man taught me the basics, but those lessons have I know stopped me from doing myself a mischief on several occasions so a few lessons is excellent advice either through a club or one of the reputable tutors.

I've read a number of books and probably Kieth Rowley's Woodturning A foundation Course is as good as any but hands on is the way to go to start, then practise.

Anyway - my tupence worth.
And the tools are fine - you will want more as you go along and then you might want to spend a bit more on better quality ones. You will find that you will appreciate the difference when you use them after a while.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jamie;)

barnsey
3rd June 2003, 11:21 AM
Oh and I missed the bit on Pine.

It's OK - sometimes the coarse grain can give you a bit of trouble with the radiata we have lying around the shed. I found some old pine cleats that came from overseas as packing material were free, more evenly grained and great practice material.:)

Jamie

ubeaut
3rd June 2003, 02:49 PM
Pine is a great material to begin with. It's readily available in a heap of sizes up to 4" square and works very well.

You would do better getting a couple of videos than books. Richard Raffan, and Dell Stubbs both have excellent videos that are available through Taunton Press and for loan at most libraries. Mike Darlow also has a set of 3 videos on basic turning but they appear to be made for insomniacs as most viewers seem to sleep throught them.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS if you go to a club it is possible that the above videos and others may also be in the club library.

Baz
3rd June 2003, 09:00 PM
Sarge, you are going to need a grinder to keep those tools nice and sharp, a 200mm model with white or pink grinding wheels. Best of luck and practice,practice, practice.
Cheers
Barry

John Saxton
3rd June 2003, 09:10 PM
Sarge,a good suggestion by John Hambly/Neil..get involved with a club but if that is not possible thru distance work etc then use the archives herein ...they have a lot to offer as may your local library with its resources available ...find a name of a book or video and they can check their data-base for you..often you can access their listings and order the loan of a book/video once you know the name of the book/video you're after.

Helped me understand things somewhat before I joined the local mob hereabouts all those years ago...couldn't do without the practical experience they willingly offered up.
A book/video is one thing ...but there's no accounting for physical experience.
Cape Lilac,Jacaranda,as well as pine are all Ok to practice on before you tackle the OZ hardwoods where your tools will need a keen edge.

Cheers:) good luck in your endeavours.