PDA

View Full Version : Munro is awesome, Hughie!!

OGYT
24th January 2007, 10:14 AM
This is from a limb crotch on a huge American Elm tree that was felled by a tornado:oo: in Childress, TX, in May, 2006. :D This vase is 285mm tall X 209mm dia at the top. The rim's about 6 mm thick, taperin' down to about 3-4mm inside... Bottom's about 8-10 mm at the thick rings. Turned end grain. Sanded to 600, finish is Lacquer. Final rubdown hasn't been done yet. Thinking of puttin' it back on and turnin' the foot off. :o Comments? Critiques? :? :?

Hughie, I turned this with the Munro. :D What a tool!!! Give yourself some pats on the back, Mate. It's definately a keeper!!:2tsup: :2tsup: Made it seem like butter... Long, thin, shavin's flew all over the shed!!

Little Festo
24th January 2007, 11:38 AM
OGYT,

Which one do you have, the "regular" or his new one, the mini? i have both but i think that the mini is a bit better. It has a carbide cutter and stays sharp longer. The small one can still remove a lot of material. Have you seen Rolly Munroe demo the tool. He does the outside shaping as well as the hollowing. They are both nice tools to use

The piece looks good although I agree about the foot.

Peter

OGYT
24th January 2007, 12:25 PM
OGYT,

Which one do you have, the "regular" or his new one, the mini?
The piece looks good although I agree about the foot. Peter

I don't know which size it is, :B Peter... about a 12mm shaft... cutter about the same size... It's truly awesome, tho'!:2tsup:
Thanks for the comments.

hughie
24th January 2007, 01:49 PM
Thinking of puttin' it back on and turnin' the foot off. :o Comments? Critiques? :? :?

Al stick with the foot I reckon, maybe lower it a tad and give it more defintion, other wise fine looking vase :2tsup:

. It's definately a keeper!!:2tsup: :2tsup: Made it seem like butter... Long, thin, shavin's flew all over the shed!!
[/QUOTE]

:U yep it loves end grain, glad you've got the hang of it. As to what type I guess we could call it the regular size ... I guess :D

ss_11000
24th January 2007, 02:43 PM
what a great peice of wood. you made one awesome vase mate:2tsup:
and i rekon you should keep the foot too....without it i think it would look weird:shrug:

rsser
24th January 2007, 04:26 PM
+1. Keep the foot but reduce it.

Vern, I think Al is talking about Hughie's version of a hollower.

Did your mini-Munro come with a tungsten cutter standard?

Wayne Blanch
24th January 2007, 10:11 PM
I agree that you need to keep the foot but I think that it could be a little smaller. I think it is one really nice bit of work.:cool: and lovely wood.:2tsup:

TTIT
25th January 2007, 09:31 AM
+1. Keep the foot but reduce it.

Vern, I think Al is talking about Hughie's version of a hollower.

Did your mini-Munro come with a tungsten cutter standard?Ern - I think you meant 'Peter' - I was going to post the same comment!!!! :shrug:

Al - If I were to remount the vase I would just define the foot with a sharper change of direction and maybe a small bead - but it's nice as it is :U

Cheers
Vern

lubbing5cherubs
25th January 2007, 10:00 AM
Hey Al
Very nice indeed but one thing you wrote the date wrong. There not 22 months in a year. Looks odd.:p :D
Toni

ptc
25th January 2007, 11:54 AM
There not 22 months in a year.
There are in Texas. !

Wayne Blanch
25th January 2007, 02:02 PM
There not 22 months in a year.
There are in Texas. !
Everything is big in Texas:D

rsser
25th January 2007, 04:43 PM
Ern - I think you meant 'Peter' - I was going to post the same comment!!!! :shrug:

Cheers
Vern

Glad someone knows what I mean ;-}

... Just got my mini-hollower from Carroll's. You have one too?

Little Festo
26th January 2007, 01:24 AM
The mini hollower comes with a TC cutter - only no HSS. Both the large and mini are great tools. the larger tool has a bit more control in that there is an extra "swan neck" attachment and there is also a "multi angled' scraper" attachment available too. It's truly amazing in that Rolly Munroe makes his tools in a little workshop under his house in Wellington NZ. He also makes his own cutters for his Dremel type tools, a very talented man, great bloke too.

Peter

Gil Jones
26th January 2007, 05:03 AM
Thats a beauty, Al!!

rsser
26th January 2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I've found Rolly generous with email advice when I had problems using the original hollower. It came with no instructions but the newer models do and cover all the ground I was asking about.

You must have been lucky Peter; my mini hollower came with HSS cutters.

Jim Carroll
26th January 2007, 08:35 AM
The Munro hollowers come standard with HSS cutters the TCT cutters are an optional extra.

Little Festo
26th January 2007, 09:45 AM
The Munro hollowers come standard with HSS cutters the TCT cutters are an optional extra.

I stand corrected. I know I ordered some TC cutters. One "chipped" though.

Peter

rsser
27th January 2007, 10:48 AM
btw, I'm selling my original Munro hollowers - see the Buy Sell Swap thread.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=44206

WOODbTURNER
29th January 2007, 06:03 PM
OGYT,

Which one do you have, the "regular" or his new one, the mini? i have both but i think that the mini is a bit better. It has a carbide cutter and stays sharp longer. The small one can still remove a lot of material. Have you seen Rolly Munroe demo the tool. He does the outside shaping as well as the hollowing. They are both nice tools to use

The piece looks good although I agree about the foot.

Peter

Peter

Just got my Munro Mini off Ian Mac via CWS.
Tried it out on a vase I'm making out of a piece of Bodha Tree that I got from the Chung Wah Temple back here in Darwin.
The Mini cuts smoothly and as you said can also cut aggressively. Like Jim (CWS) said previously it also has good "feeling" in use compared to the big one.
Would recommend over the big one because of the $100.00 difference.
By the way Pete, are you missing the Darwin rain?
Jeff

Little Festo
29th January 2007, 10:53 PM
Peter

Just got my Munro Mini off Ian Mac via CWS.
Tried it out on a vase I'm making out of a piece of Bodha Tree that I got from the Chung Wah Temple back here in Darwin.
The Mini cuts smoothly and as you said can also cut aggressively. Like Jim (CWS) said previously it also has good "feeling" in use compared to the big one.
Would recommend over the big one because of the $100.00 difference.
By the way Pete, are you missing the Darwin rain?
Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Yes, must admit that I do a bit. It's like the "build-up" here at the moment, trying really hard to rain and believe it or not the humidity is quite high, about 60%-80% during the day, it's actually 70% as I type. Glad you like the Mini, it's a good tool.

How's Ian going??? Missing the Hot, sticky dusty Monday nights in his workshop - the coffee too. looking forward to catching up at turnfest.

Peter

Simon-UK
30th January 2007, 07:31 AM
Really nice vase. I know it is personal choice, but if there is enough meat left in the base, I would be tempted to bring it right in to a 50mm or so in a nice curve with a 2 or 3 mm only high foot. It would really make the piece 'look' light and the mini-foot will create a shadow under the piece, again adding to the light look.

Only my thoughts, perhaps turn a test item from scrap (don't both hollowing) to compare the two looks and see which you prefer.

Well done anyway, as I said at the outset, a really nice piece.

OGYT
30th January 2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks, Simon...
Right now, it's just sitting... waiting to see if it moves any...
Don't have a moisture meter... so I just feel it, and turn it when I think it's ready.
I don't really have much room to play in the bottom... I think the most I can do is turn off some of the bottom...
I'll have to check it out a little closer...