PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Island pine...?

reeves
24th January 2007, 10:28 AM
Hi anyone got some Norfolk island pine chunks they wanna swap, 10 inch tunring blanks or 4 inch x 12 blocks..for vases...

just ask me for what i can swap...sheok, rosewood, figured bluegum and others...

reeves
24th January 2007, 01:28 PM
ok, the need for the Norfolk pine is just a desire to try some different woods. I saw a pic of an NF bowl in the 500 bowls book and it looks interesting if not challenging.

recenlty i have been turning a little pine, having normally avoided the stuff, tried some Hoop, some Bunya and some other non id'ed hard white pine. I find it interesting so i f anyone has some i am happy to swap for it

THe NF is Araucaria heterophylla. I am developing a passion for the Araucaria's. I have Hoop and Bunya, so the NF is just completing my collection.

I dont expect any Wollemi anytime soon..;-)

cheeeeeeers
john

rsser
24th January 2007, 05:36 PM
Hi John,

I may be able to help. Got a couple of large lumps - short logs sealed that have been sitting for several years. I wouldn't say that they'd be dry yet but NIP is very stable green.

I've also been trying to spalt some or at least get some fungal stain. With this stain, and the piece thin-turned and soaked in poly some turners have been able to produce some amazing translucent pieces with red and green flares.

I'll look more closely tonight at the bank; should be able to do 12 x 4 x 4 and prob a bowl blank close to 10". Be happy to swap for a couple of bowl blanks with interesting figure. PM me with some options.

rsser
26th January 2007, 10:06 PM
Hi John,

I'll pack the NIP tomorrow and send it off Mon or Tues. What's your address?

The blanks seem pretty dry now; tested them with a cheap moisture meter in comparison with the bowl blank cut from the log.

Cheers,

Ern

PS Your forum PM quota is full otherwise I wouldn've used it.

craigb
26th January 2007, 11:08 PM
An interesting thing anout Norfolk Island Pine is that in the 18th Century, the British Admiralty had reports of the height and straightness of NF pines and thiught that maybe they'd make great masts for their sailing ships.

This is the main reason that the second penal colony in the South Pacific was established there in c 1790.

It turned out however that NF pine was not much good for masts. The island was a great place for sadists though.
Have a look at the record of Fevoux who was the most notorious Governor of the joint.

I don't think I've ever seen a worked piece of NF pine. I'd like to though.

So if anyone has some pics, post away! :)

rsser
27th January 2007, 06:52 AM
http://www.woodturner.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=434&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

is the only one I can find. Perhaps try World of Woodturners for other work by Chris Allen.

Edit: Yep, go to Photos - Galleries - Chris Allen

I've found it very stable when green so wouldn't be surprised if it had been tried for masts. Patricick O'Brien mentions it in his novels and his research was supposed to be good.

The bowl in the picture is clearly end-grain turned out of the whole log; it may also have been soaked in poly to bring out the figure.

craigb
27th January 2007, 08:31 AM
Interesting colours.

It seems to vary quite a bit.

dai sensei
27th January 2007, 01:13 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a worked piece of NF pine. I'd like to though.

So if anyone has some pics, post away! :)

Here's a few of my favourites
here (http://www.ulikirchler.com/norfolk.html), here (http://www.dale-brobst.com/lathe_turned_art___domestic_woods) and here. (http://jkellydunn.com/norfolk.asp)

reeves
27th January 2007, 01:52 PM
Rsser, heres pic sof yr 3 blanks

the Qld maple is perfectly dry 10 inch x 2 and has some nice wavy grain..

the rosewood is about 9inch x3 and has some fine streaks ..its about 14%, edges r greased and it will go in a plastic bag

the sheok is about 8X2 with natural bark on the back, its bit rough as rose sheok usually is but the grain is great it has a small split on one side but was the most solid piece i could cut at short notice. You should be able to get a nice turning from it.
This peice has the pale sapwood in about 20% which is rock hard and adds a nice contrast when turned..its about 12%, egdes r greased and it will go in a plastic bag

5kg all up

Hey nice links guys, NIP does look interetsing to turn which is why i wanted to try some...any chance of some pics of those chucnks rsser?

cheeeeeers
john

rsser
27th January 2007, 02:55 PM
Hi John,

I've cut the blanks parallel to the grain so there's only one or two knots. If you want the knots dotted around the outside you'll need a whole log!

In the spindle blank there's little colour variation, but in the bowl blank and the turned bowl there is (figure detail is from the turned bowl) - I'm assuming that when soaked in poly it's the red and green flares that are brought out.

I'm waiting to redo a floor before trying the soaking; the bowl will need quite a lot.

If you want the colour and want to go with the bowl blank (along with one or both spindle blanks) I'm happy to cover the extra postage.

reeves
27th January 2007, 04:29 PM
hey thanks Ern, nice looking blanks, it does have interesting grain...
thats bowl is good, brings out the grain...

i'll have as much as you can cope with the extra spindle is fine as long the cost is ok for u, am happy to cover extra cost if need,

cheeeeers
john

rsser
27th January 2007, 05:11 PM
John, I have a second bowl blank cut from the opposite side as that one and it doesn't have the knot at the top. That knot will likely have to be turned away so I'd recommend you take the other one. Can post a pic if you want.

rsser
29th January 2007, 05:33 PM
John, let me know about the bowl choice (last post); I'm hoping to post the stuff tomorrow.

reeves
31st January 2007, 02:25 PM
ok rsser go for it...know or no know is fine by me mate..cheeeers

reeves
12th February 2007, 12:39 PM
Ern, NIP arrived today 3 chunks. Nice grain am looking forward to gettiing it on the lathe, thanks for that.

Yr box went to town with wife last week or so dont go tot own much so have left it to her to send, will check to make sure its sent.

thanks
john

John Saxton
12th February 2007, 09:14 PM
keep well clear of termites,they love NIP

cheers:)

pjt
13th February 2007, 10:17 PM
hi guys
just wondering what this poly is that u r soaking the pine in?
thx
pete

rsser
14th February 2007, 05:23 AM
aka Estapol. One guy uses finishing oil.

reeves
15th February 2007, 01:32 AM
Ern, SWMBO has finally posted yr box, should arrive ina coupla days mate. cost was $21 for about 5 kilos.

cheeeers
john

rsser
15th February 2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks John. Looking forward to it.

reeves
16th February 2007, 11:16 AM
Heres my first turning from the Norfolk island pine
Its good to work, slightly 'gummy' and sweet and the grain is pale but with some figure.
It was probably a little 'hard' to turn,in terms of the density but not as hard as radiata.

I am finding it interesting how the various conifers (pine) stack up alongside each other in terms of figure and workability. As all softwood pines there are obvious similarities so the differences are subtle but defined.

In this comparision so far i have tuned

Huonpine
celerytop pine
bunya pine
Norfolk island pine
slashpine
hoop pine
radiatapine
some unkown pinkish pine, very hard tight grain
oregon
NZ ancient kauri

Huon is obviously the favourite for its grain , texture, scent, workability and general 'hey i am a really nice wood' factors but the other pines have something to offer in terms of light grained woods.

thanks for helping out with this Rsser.

rsser
16th February 2007, 12:15 PM
Pleasure John.

The bowl blank has more figure from memory.

How'd you hollow it?

btw, a number of your list wouldn't be real pines would they? Just 'pines' by common name.

reeves
16th February 2007, 01:37 PM
Rsser, yes 'most' of em i think are legit conifers of osme kind,, the aracurias included..i think huon pine is off in its own category, some texts say it is a pine some not. I kinda work on the angle that if it has cones and not flowers its a pine or conifer or softwood. I think its a grey area a bit and if it looks like a pine, ie: the tree has needles and cones, the wood is yellowish with fairly plain grain then its pine. But what u say is true some anre 'true' pines some not.

On the hollowing most of these i have just bored and sealed to hold water..some of the vases i have been experimenting with i have hollowed via a long bowel gouge, have been thinking about a proper hollowing setup some time, a more powerful lathe might also help..I have a small hollowing tool but in general i have tried and my equipment is not yet good enough, as in if I get a catch it rips it off the chuck or wobbles off center etc.

Most of these vase shapes have been learning experiments in wood texture, shape and finish.

cheeers
john

rsser
6th April 2007, 09:44 AM
Hi John,

Pics of the Rosewood attached. Good colour and good to turn. Cracking started though, as with the Sheoak. We had a hot and dry summer.

[Edit: size 190 x 80, finished with Danish Oil]

reeves
8th April 2007, 07:04 AM
Hey really nice shaped bowl Ern, good contours..glad you got something useful from those chunks, shame about the splittings but thats wood i guess. I have been turning the rosewood to rough and letting it settle awhile then turning down to finish, seems to limit the splitting...

cheeeeers
john

kaawaa
6th May 2009, 08:43 PM
Hi Guys
New to this, but seeing as I live on Norfolk Island and have plenty of sources for timber including pine knots, slabs and boards, thought I would ask if anyone was interested in swapping for some good old Aussie home timbers.Have been using NIP here for around 13 yrs as furniture timber and for turning, I have found it a great all round timber to use.
Freight to this end is expensive half price on the return trip but of course I would pay all costs'
Any how if anyone is interested give me a email an see what we can do.

robyn2839
6th May 2009, 10:41 PM
john i have a heap of kauri pine ,any good to ya...bob
ps any luck with those post bags yet