PDA

View Full Version : DIY weapon against cats

Eastie
4th June 2003, 12:34 PM
Wayne, following your success in making the cyclone, how about giving me a hand with one of these?

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile

(How has this person escaped the authorities?)

(If you keep cats in a responsible manner that is your business and I do not intend any ill will towards you or your cat(s). If on the other hand you allow your cat(s) to run free and populate the bush full of feral cats, how about a donation towards the $5k to build one of these. I'm sure with the aid of a digital camera gaffa taped to its nose it will aid in the ever increasing rural fight against you know whats)

Wayne Davy
4th June 2003, 01:02 PM
No worries mate!

Do you have a spare Jet Engine (preferably Ram/Scram Type) lying around. Anyone got any old explosives they don't need anymore.

Come on everyone - chip in for this worthy cause :D :D

L.Bubblesniffer
4th June 2003, 05:55 PM
I have a coupla missile launchers that are a lot cheaper, one fires small pellet shaped cruise missiles all inna bunch and the other fires little space ship thingies about .22 of an inch in diameter. Both are regularly deployed and usually target anything that "Miaows", even if it tinkles at the same time...... and as for the "friendlies"..... well being a wood working type, a claw hammer does the job of preparing the compost......:D

q9
4th June 2003, 08:40 PM
Reminds me of a story I read in a Black Powder book years ago.

When the author was a teenager he and his friend mucked around making canons out of wood and bits of pipe. He lived in close proximity to a golf course which provided the range. Well after a while they got bored with firing lumps of wood/lead and decided to make explosive rounds by hollowing out wooden shells. Worked great and they had much merryment utterly confusing the golfers who would find big holes everywhere.

Lots of fun, until one day his retriever tagged along...

barnsey
5th June 2003, 11:44 AM
It's a sad thing that there are idiots out there who bother to set there minds to this sort of stuff.

Mind you when I was a lot younger than I am today I used to work for an airline.

Life rafts have a charge head for the flares which have to be replaced every two years.

Boarding ladders have hand rails which are regularly replaced - 7/8 dia titanium tube with an internal thread one end!

High grade 7/8 balls from turbine bearings fit down the titanium tube with about >002"clearance.

Having rumaged around the scrap bin, - assemble charge head to titanium tube - same thread! - deposit said bearing appropriately and the thing dissappeared into the base of a gum tree from about 50' feet away.

Be careful if you come across a fallen tree down around the creek at Bulla - I reckon the chainsaw will have an infarction if it hits that bearing!!!
:rolleyes:

oges
5th June 2003, 08:14 PM
I could think of much better things to spend US$5000 on thats for sure!

soundman
6th June 2003, 12:10 AM
The trawler boys in NT have a lover budget amusement. A length of 50mm plastic tube & an end cap, some norska or brut33 and a sack of spuds

Gas powered spud cannon.

Aparently It was getting a bit serious up there for a while!!!

q9
6th June 2003, 12:13 AM
I could think of much better things to spend US$5000 on thats for sure!

What? Have you forgotten that this has potential as an end to mother in law problems?

journeyman Mick
6th June 2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by soundman
The trawler boys in NT have a lover budget amusement. A length of 50mm plastic tube & an end cap, some norska or brut33 and a sack of spuds

Gas powered spud cannon.

Aparently It was getting a bit serious up there for a while!!!

I've got one I use to frighten the starlings out of my fruit trees (there's a tree about 1km away that houses about 200 of the greedy little buggers) for bird scaring purposes I just push a ball of crumpled paper into the barrell, load a handful of coarse sand in and then another paper ball. BOOM!! no birds for a day or two. To get more power use a piece of 50mm drain pipe glued into a 100mm LIT (level invert taper) which is a cone shaped 50/100 adaptor, glue a threaded end cap assembly onto this with a small hole drilled into it to suit a gas igniter. Load missile into barrel (spuds are good) by cutting a wad with the barrel itself and push down to base of barrel with stick. Unscrew cap and spray a dose of cheap hair spray in (found this to be the best fuel) you'll have to experiment with the dose to get the right fuel/air mixture. Quickly screw cap back on, aim at cat/birds/trawler pull trigger. Don't use acetylene whatever you do, a mate tried it and was off work for 2 weeks, it blew up in his hand. Also if you use it a lot use the green (high pressure) glue rather than the blue. Also destroy and discard after a few hundered shots as the PVC will go brittle over time and you don't want to have all those shards of PVC picked out of your hands. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have posted all this??

Mick

Zed
11th July 2003, 09:13 AM
Not that I own a rifle or anything illegal that is capable of firing a projectile that is capable of causing serious injury to people in the vacinity.... but if you "shoot" an indian miner bird and leave the carcase where it drops the others will see it and off.

We have an abundance of wild birds which we encourage by feeding etc... the miners are lowest in the pecking order which is great... All I have to do is walk into the back yard and yell "sssshhhhaaaa!" (Or some such nonsense) and the bastards fly away whilst the natives literally ignore me - the rainbow lorrekeets actually recognise this as an oppotunity to fly into my shoulder and bludge honey...

The best bit is the magpies and currawongs who see the miners off for me!!!

Zed