PDA

View Full Version : Preventing furniture scratching floor

John G
4th June 2003, 02:46 PM
I have problems with a lot of my furniture (i.e. dining chairs) scratching my timber floors.

I was going to just place self-adhesive felt pads underneath, but the packet says "never use under furniture". I can't for the life of me think why not.

The other choices seem to be adhesive rubber pads (which I don't want because I don't want them to grip),
or those expensive teflon pads, which may make it easier to move, but I don't see preventing scratching.

Any ideas?

Wayne Davy
4th June 2003, 02:55 PM
I had the same problem and bought these little metal coaster type floor savers which have a piece of carpet on the bottom and can be screwed to the leg.

Come in various sizes - Chair leg, Table, Big for sofa etc. I think I got them from Bunnies.

Eastie
4th June 2003, 03:11 PM
I ignored the advice on the packet and used the self adhesive stuff. It lasted about six months before some came off, leaving a coating of the black adhesive on the bottom of the chair leg. This soon transfered its blacked 'stickyness' to the floor. It's a pain in the bum to clean off.

DaveInOz
4th June 2003, 03:16 PM
Never use felt under furniture because when your and take a running jump on to the chair/couch it will fly the remainder of the way across the floor and launch you in to the wall.
Sure its funny later but not recomended.

or

Don't use felt as it is cheap and they have other more expensive stuff they prefer you to use.

or

I should get back to work :(

JohnM
4th June 2003, 04:29 PM
John G

Hi. I had the same problem. Used the stick-on felt pads - same story as Eastie, they came off after some months. Being a man of determination ( my wife uses words like pigheaded and stubborn) I proceded to restick the felt pads with a good quality contact glue. They are still stuck!!! Next time I will just buy plain felt and stick with contact

John

Sir Stinkalot
4th June 2003, 05:08 PM
If you have many chairs it may be easier to carpet the entire floor rather than treat each chair individually. Just a different (stinky) way of aproaching the problem that you may not have thought about. :p

journeyman Mick
4th June 2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Sir Stinkalot
If you have many chairs it may be easier to carpet the entire floor rather than treat each chair individually. Just a different (stinky) way of aproaching the problem that you may not have thought about. :p
Or... you could screw/nail/glue chairs to floor this would: (a) prevent all those nasty scratches on the floor, (b) stop you flying into the wall when you take a drunken running jump on to chair and (c) stop people tipping back on the two back legs, thus requiring you to repair said chair.

Mick

Jim Carroll
4th June 2003, 10:48 PM
I had polished floorboards in the last house so I thought I would put some carpet on the ends of the table legs and chair legs. Worked ok but you always get someone who visits with runners on and while they are sitting their they are running their feet backwards and forwards with those tiny pebbles that get stuck in the tread, then they dislodge and always get under the legs of the chairs. More scratches. Have to agree with the stink on this one carpet is less of a headache.

soundman
5th June 2003, 11:51 PM
Chaps chaps chaps.

Felt has been use for ages but you got get the thick stuff so it lasts. and glue it on with pva. It'll be there for years.

The silliest thing is nailing the felt in with tacks!!!

concerning carpet.
There is no such thing as a clean carpet from the day it is laid it is a major source of dust & disease in the home.

All carpet should be in pieces small enough to be taken outside & beaten then hosed down.!!!

Ever seencarpet in a hospital?

cheers.

sandman
6th June 2003, 05:24 PM
If it's a real "classy" look you want, then buy a pack of tennis balls & cut a slot in them & push onto chairs/tables etc. They look real NICE!!! Not to mention give your furniture some BALLS!!
(seriously, you can cut into small circles {as they are concaved} & use a good quality contact adhesive and they last for ages and you really cant see it's a tennis ball as you're using such a small piece.
Good luck.
regards Sandman.

Gino
8th June 2003, 09:37 PM
I don't intend for this reply to directly answer the question in this post BUT for what it's worth, my brother inlaw who runs a furniture shop makes up these bits of turned wood which are like a drink coaster but with a cup in it. He then glues on some leather to the under neath side of them ie the flat side and uses them to put under furniture which is not normaly moved. Eg a bed.
I used them on my daughters bed as it kept on moving around and scratching the wooden floor.

just thought I'd share that with you.

G

Taffy
10th June 2003, 10:24 PM
Johno, first find a spinner and weaver in your area you know the crafty type, they also felt the wool for various projects. the felt they make is usually tough stuff so it will take some punishment.
then stick it on the legs with a PVA glue or some other adhesive.
Do not staple,tack,nail or screw as the felt will compress over time and you will be back where you started.
Other than that try some of that self adhesive billiard table thin felt.
or of course there's the carpeting.
Taffy:D

soundman
11th June 2003, 12:10 AM
Bed kept moving arround & scratching the floor!!!

There has to be a line ther somewhere???

Gino
11th June 2003, 10:20 PM
I think it moved arond because it's a shity steel bed with plastic feet but my sons (made by yours truly) and me and my wifes bed tend to stay where they are as they are made of wood.

G

barnsey
13th June 2003, 03:40 PM
I used to have some bentwood chairs and stools that were on a timber floor a few houses back - read marriages!!.

I bought special feet that were designed for such a situation which was a plastic base with a bit of 1/4" felt attached to it and you either screwed them or tacked them to the leg. The screw/tack was moulded into the plastic base. Worked a treat!!

Jamie

Zed
9th July 2003, 04:22 PM
Hi,

Go to Clark rubber and buy some of the high density black moulded rubber (its cheap). You can get it in any dimension that you want (I suggest something about 10mm thick).

Take it home and cut it up with a hacksaw or jigsaw to suit your application.

I find its good as the weight of the furniture will both hold it down on the timber and create its own groove in the rubber so it doesnt slip on the rubber pad. Of course this is not reall good for chairs that are constantly being moved but is good for couches or tv stands etc. It also makes the furiniture higher by the thickness of the rubber but who gives a about one centimetre ?

After a VREY long time the rubber may stick to the floor but is easliy cleaned off.

Cheers

Zed