PDA

View Full Version : First Double Dovetails attempt

underused
26th January 2007, 02:25 PM
G'day,

Im into a workshop project at the moment, and need to make five drawers. Thought it would be a good opportunity to have my first attempt at the double dovetail (about time eh:2tsup:)

Just made one drawer first, to make sure it was all set right. Just Pine used, with Ash for the contrast. Result was ok, no big stuff-ups, but havent glued-up yet...so theres always a potential stuff-up there waiting to happen:2tsup:

Template used was IDDB, with a Whiteside bit (my favourites:wink:)
Just another 4 more to do, then fit them.
Thanks for looking:)

Big Shed
26th January 2007, 02:28 PM
They look good!

You cut those by hand of course?:U

underused
26th January 2007, 02:40 PM
You cut those by hand of course?:U

Only in My dreams...:wink:

Big Shed
26th January 2007, 02:43 PM
Which Incra jig have you got?

underused
26th January 2007, 02:52 PM
LS Super System 25"

ciscokid
27th January 2007, 01:33 PM
Those look great! You are my new hero! I so want to do dovetails like that!!! Please go into details!

Big Shed
27th January 2007, 06:24 PM
LS Super System 25"

Looks spiff, great router table!

Thornburn
29th January 2007, 11:37 AM
Great effort !!

I haven't yet attempted the double dovetail but your result has spurned me on! Tell me, given the excellent fit of the joint (even though you said the result was ok!!) what surfaces are you intending to glue and is the ash "insert" too delicate to remove.

Well done it looks fantastic

Thornburn

underused
29th January 2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the comments!
The contrast insert is guled to the tails. It has to be glued, before making the second series of cuts on the contrast material.
In the pictures, the tails and pins aren't glued together, Just dry-fit.

underused
29th January 2007, 12:26 PM
I'll try to explain myself a little better..with the help of the pictures.

First the pine tails need to be cut.
Next......In the first pic, you can see the Ash board, with a series of dovetail groves routed into it.

In picture two You can see the Ash board being cross cut, to just over the thickness of the pine, tail board.

Back to picture one, the Ash is turned on its side, and glued to the pine tails, and left to dry. After drying, plane it flat to the pine tails. You will then have something looking like the right side tail. The Ash insert now has to be cut again. After cutting, it will look something like the left side.

Next step is to cut the pins:2tsup: and thats about it:)
Cheers.

Doughboy
29th January 2007, 12:38 PM
Great work. A good haul of brownie points there I bet.:2tsup:

Pete

Thornburn
29th January 2007, 01:21 PM
Very cool, Thanks for that.

I have been promising my step-daughter a jewellry box for ever and I have finally bought some rosewood mahogany and maple to make it. The design that I'm using (very basic) will look infinately better with these double dovetails for the joinery.

Are you happy with your LS Super System?, I LOVE mine!

Cheers

Thornburn

underused
1st February 2007, 04:43 PM
Drawers in their new home..
This project was to make my wee mortiser mobile, and have a first attempt at the double dovetails, without worrying about stuff ups on expensive wood etc... I use the mortiser often, but dont have space.
Only things I had to buy were the locking casters.
Cheers.

Big Shed
1st February 2007, 06:51 PM
Great piece of work, be proud to put that in my lounge room, but SWMBO will probaby object to the mortiser in the lounge!
Looks very good and is certainly a good advert for the Incra jig, as well as showing off your expertise with it.

Well done.

Thornburn
1st February 2007, 08:36 PM
Nice work
How do the drawers slide? A pic would be great if you could

Thanks
Thornburn

underused
1st February 2007, 11:44 PM
Thornburn,

Hopefully this Picture explains it.
I didnt want to spend money on runners, so just routed out a trench in the sides of the drawers, and fixed wooden runners on the inner frame of the cabinet. A little beeswax, and they run ok:2tsup:

Thornburn
2nd February 2007, 04:55 PM
Cool job !!!

Thanks Underused for the pic and explanation

Bwillie
8th February 2007, 12:16 PM
Very Nice. I've got the same set up (almost) see pic. I've got the tall fence removed at the moment, but am greatly encouraged by your double dovetails to attempt it. Wish me luck.

UCN,

Bill

Hoppoz
9th February 2007, 11:46 PM
Nice work, both the new bench and the router table.

I like your router table setup, did you make this yourself.

Curious to know more detail and photos.

Thanks

Hoppoz:2tsup:

sbolton
1st November 2007, 02:35 PM
You indicate you used a IDDB template. Where do you get those? From Incra?

Thanks, love the drawers

Steve Bolton

warmtone
1st November 2007, 09:38 PM
LS Super System 25"
Hi Underused - first off thanks for inspiring us with thos e stunning double dovetails. :2tsup:

Your shop cabinet with these wonderful draws puts my lounge furniture to shame!! :o

(But hope to rectify the situation soon with my new Incra)

Tell me one thing could you survive with an LS17 insted of the LS 25????

underused
1st November 2007, 11:34 PM
Hello Warmtone, thanks for the comments:)

If were just making drawers and and small boxes the 17 is fine.
The most use my Incra setup gets, is in the cutting of sliding dovetails and trenches in cabinets for drawer runners and in the construction of cabinet frames. The incremental fence is perfect for this:2tsup: Im able to get half way on a cabinet, then turn it around and start from the opposite end. This can be done with the 17, but the 25 just has the edge on bigger work:)
I also make the tenons on small hall/console tablestops, for breadboard ends. I use the right angle fixture with a large board attached for support. Theres a few pics of me doing it in a WIP hall table.
For the extra cost, I think its worth paying the extra for the 25. Then you wont have any regrets down the road:wink:
cheers.