PDA

View Full Version : What will they think of next !

dopeydriver
27th January 2007, 12:43 AM
Just exploring the internet for what is available in electric power , and came across a Motorguide wireless trolling motor , 12v 55 pounds of thrust , variable speed that can be controlled remotely by up to 4 different foot pedals !.
Hmm MIK , how will we go getting one on the 118 !.
Maybe if we are becalmed on race day , I might surprise everyone !<VBG>.
Rob J.

Boatmik
27th January 2007, 07:29 PM
Howdy Rob,

While the extra OZ rules do allow use of a paddle for racing if the course is shortened because of a lack of wind, they don't seem to allow a motor.

Perhaps if you built it into the forward buoyancy compartment so we didn't know it was in there?

MIK

dopeydriver
27th January 2007, 09:48 PM
Actually MIk , that would be very easily done !.
It would probably look a bit strange though , some fool that has no clue , everything cocked up , and still zipping along ! <VBG>.
But the PDR is my "learning platform" , and maybe I'll try a bow trolling motor on her , to see how it goes.
Especially being able to control it remotely , that sounds good !.
I just believe it might give more options.
The last time I went to Portland sailing , we had a very strong wind coming offshore , too strong to row the tender in to , so we had to wait for hours before we could get back in.
Perhaps with a strong trolling motors help , we wouldn't have to wait.
Also MIK , what about something like a "Lenco drive 164" on say an NIS ?.It too has variable speed , romote control.
The first thing is , could you stow 2/4 batteries to advantage on an NIS ? , or is there no space appropriate ?.
The motors themselves are quite unobtrusive.
It would be nice not to have to turn a nice boat in to a stink boat !.
Rob J.

Boatmik
27th January 2007, 10:52 PM
Hi Rob,

There was a fellow in Canberra that had a 16ft clinker sailboat that went about 4 knots faster than one would expect in very light wind!

The bow is not the place for the donk - it should be conventionally mounted on the transom which would need a small reinforcement.

There are two roles for an outboard on the back of a trailer sailer the size of and NIS.

One is motoring when there is not enough wind to sail. An electric would be OK there.

The other is in an emergency - and I don't think electric motors are there yet. They don't have the power and range required. A jerry of fuel will take you a long way with a 5 or 6hp outboard.

When you need the power it is nice to have enough to make a difference.

MIK