PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper Dispenser

MajorPanic
28th January 2007, 02:44 PM
It used to be such a pain in the a$$ cutting sandpaper to length for the pneumatic sander. I finally got around to making a dispenser for the grits I usually use. Now it's just a matter of pulling down the paper to the timber strip on the bottom of the board & tearing off. A piece of old bandsaw blade is used to cut the paper neatly. Each grit can be removed individually.

It's saved heaps of time!

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/woodwork/BB/SP_Dispenser.jpg

masoth
28th January 2007, 02:50 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!
I can imagine that in the 'long-drop' beside the shearing shed. The Union bloke wouldn't know how to word his complaint.:2tsup:

soth

ps; good idea.

toddles
28th January 2007, 02:52 PM
:2tsup: That's pretty slick.

Lignum
28th January 2007, 03:03 PM
Good tip Major:2tsup: I bet you thought it up whilst you were sitting on the dunny staring into space:wink:

watson
28th January 2007, 03:05 PM
I used to have trouble with that as well, then they started perforating the paper at a set interval.
Took all the fun out of it.
Regards,
Noel

dai sensei
28th January 2007, 05:02 PM
Great idea Major, especially the hacksaw blade to tear off.

Any ideas for the 400/600/800/1000/1200/2000/2500 etc that don't come on the roll?

MajorPanic
28th January 2007, 06:41 PM
Great idea Major, especially the hacksaw blade to tear off.

Any ideas for the 400/600/800/1000/1200/2000/2500 etc that don't come on the role?Hi Neil,
All sandpaper is made in a roll (continuous length & cut to size). It's just how much you are prepared to pay for it in roll form. Even 3M will supply in any form you want if........... you have enough money! :wink: :D

dai sensei
28th January 2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Neil,
All sandpaper is made in a roll (continuous length & cut to size). It's just how much you are prepared to pay for it in roll form. Even 3M will supply in any form you want if........... you have enough money! :wink: :D

:D Good point. I'm not sure I have the room for a heap of rolls anyway :( . I use the finer grades mainly for wood turning, so I cut them into pieces around 100x50 and put them in those plastic bins, but there has to be a better way. Rarely I go above 400 on furniture, and my ROS goes up to that.

I will copy your idea for the rolls I have. Thanks for the idea.

soundman
28th January 2007, 11:12 PM
Major, did you steal my "to do list" last time you were over here?:~

I'v been meaning to build one just like it for ages.:doh:

You wouldn't be on holidays or something wod ya?:no: :D

cheers

Harry72
29th January 2007, 02:05 AM
Nice one Maj, hmmmm one for me drum sander's paper would be a nice addition!

I presume the length of the backing board below the blade is the measure for your sander's paper length?