PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Blues

spartan
28th January 2007, 10:25 PM
I am after some advice from the all seeing, all knowing Triton Gurus.

I've had my ye'old triton gear for almost 2 years and in that time its gotten a fair work out. Most of the time, more for DIY carpentry type work rather than fine woodworking/cabinet making if that make sense.

I'm in the final part of lining my shed walls (6x6 shed), I made some nifty stud walls and have lined them with 7mm CD ply. Looks quite good :U .

Now I spent a bit of time setting up everything prior to this build. I used Donboys instructions to align the saw blade, and followed the instruction manual to tune my maxi table. But I had a few problems and I hope the above mentioned gurus can help.

Essentially, as I face the switch end of the table I end up with the top right of the board being essentially, dead on the measurement that I want. The bottom right - near edge or whatever ends up being about 2mm over size....

Now I adjusted as pr above, I've done a few 'quick' measurements from the blade to edge of the table - from both the front and the back of the blade (they appear the same).

Now if I do something tricky, like flip he board so the wider end then leads into the cut I end up getting the board virtually perfect (perhaps with maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 mm extra) taken off the previously right end.

Now I hope I have distracted or confused anyone...I can normally think these through....but with the cost of 7mm 2400 x 1200 board at about $29. I can't afford any mistakes.

Out of interest I that it mainly is apparent in the maxi table being used...I'v been using in panel saw mode and rip saw mode....(although I'm not 100% sure it was bloody hot in the shed today...)You know, so required length is 2300mm, so 2300-1240 equals 1060, mark 1060 on the board and line this us with the 1240 mark.....

So finish my long story i want to start making some refined pieces so I want to fix this ASAP....

Any advice appreciated....(A laser measurer from where?)

dazzler
28th January 2007, 11:51 PM
Hi Spartan

well I spent about 20 min trying to type how I tried to fix mine but it didnt make sense :doh:

Women and Triton..........never a good enough manual :B

Just George
29th January 2007, 04:27 PM
Send me a PM with your suburb and phone number and I will try as soon as I can to come and help you out.

:2tsup:

Swagman
30th January 2007, 10:55 PM
Essentially, as I face the switch end of the table I end up with the top right of the board being essentially, dead on the measurement that I want. The bottom right - near edge or whatever ends up being about 2mm over size....

Hiya Spartan,

A couple of years ago I had essentially the same problem with my maxi not cutting true in panel mode. To cut to the chase, the cause was that the right-hand (short) edge of the slide table was not exactly parallel to the inner track - ie the table was SLIDING correctly (ie parallel to the blade), but because the table was slightly angled on the track it was always cutting a slight taper on work clamped to the table.

(In my case it was caused because one of the inner plastic bearings on the slide table wasn't fully pushed home, and thus slightly tilted in the corner block of the slide table - fixed when I removed a dag of plastic that had peeled off when I assembled the sliding table!! See the post I made at the time: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19873 if you are interested in seeing the culprit).

It would be worthwhile checking that the sliding table is dead plumb with the inner track - ie short side parallel with the inner track; long side 90deg to the inner track.

Of course it may be something else entirely in your case, so let us all know how you get on.

Jeff.

Just George
31st January 2007, 05:48 PM
I am going to help Spartan as soon as I can with his setup.

I was approached by someone else who said they had a problem with their Mini Extension Table. When I had a look at it, the problem actually was that the saw wasn't aligned properly. When it was, the Extension Table was fine without any further nned for adjustment.

spartan
10th February 2007, 01:02 PM
Full marks to Just George!

Dropped aound to my house today to help with my alignment issues....and achieved a significant improvement...I can now tackle my projects with significantly greater ease.:2tsup:

Gumby
10th February 2007, 01:19 PM
That's what these forums are about. Helping each other. Well done JG. :)

(was he dressed in his orange gear ?):)

spartan
10th February 2007, 01:21 PM
No he looked like a regular human being....A very nice chap indeed.:)

PETEWILL
14th February 2007, 06:52 AM
I am hoping to assemble and set up my extension table in the near future. What was the problem and the fix. may save me a whole lot of time.

Pete

Just George
14th February 2007, 05:59 PM
I am hoping to assemble and set up my extension table in the near future. What was the problem and the fix. may save me a whole lot of time.

Pete

Loosen your saw off and re-align it again. I have helped a few people out over the last few years with their Extension Table not cutting square. On closer inspection, the problem usually lies with their saw.

Once this is done, set up your Extension Table following the instructions word for word. Then test its square-ness by measuring its diagonal measurements.

If you still have a problem, send me a PM. I won't visit you but I'll at least try and help by going through it step by step. I'll even get my wifes camera and send you step/picture by step/picture instructions.

You're in good hands here at the forum...

dohboy
17th February 2007, 12:03 AM
Taught him everthing he knows ! :wink:

Go forth son...and spread the love...

Dohboy