PDA

View Full Version : GMC Tools

gold leader
5th June 2003, 08:20 PM
I know this topic has been covered before, but I just wanted to add my two cents worth. Among my collection of power tools is a GMC belt and disc sander. Just recently the drive belt snapped, rendering the belt section of the machine inoperative.
So I sent off an e mail to GMC asking where I can get a replacement. Obviously this kind of part is a consumable as it will wear out over time.
Imagine my surprise when the very next day I receive a reply from Mr Adam Galluzo, asking me for my address and phone number so they can send me a COUPLE of replacement belts free of charge!!
Now I know it is easy to make fun of GMC tools, as they are at the cheaper end of the market, and you get what you pay for. But with after sales service like that, who cares?
Now if you will bear with me, I would like to relate a similar story I heard several years ago from the USA:
The Saturn Motor Company sold a couple of thousand vehicles of a particular type before they realized that they had put the wrong coolant in the radiators of those cars. Standard practice is to recall the vehicles and have the coolant replaced. Instead, Saturn sent a letter to all the owners of these cars, telling them to be at this place, at this time. When they arrived, it was a parking lot full of brand new cars. They were all told, "Pick your colour".
I guess the moral of the story is, it may cost the company a lot of money short term, but long term, they have customers for life.
Thanks again, GMC!

John Saxton
5th June 2003, 08:34 PM
Nice one...it's a positive that other manufacturer's could try to get a handle on...goes without saying that folk will go where there is service.

A BIG THUMBS UP FOR GMC.

Fortunately I have my stock of hand powered tools performing to their expectations but should the need arise for replacement then I guess I'll look at GMC.

Do they produce a decent Battery Drill with an Amp/hr of reasonable duration...could be in the market for a new one soon unless I can get the battery module charged with new batteries!

Cheers:)

jacko
5th June 2003, 09:09 PM
Recently one of my sons bought a GMC angle grinder, Strangely it had the same part number, same design, same everything as a Makita angle grinder sitting next to it at brunnings! Makes you wonder when there was a significant price difference. Perhaps they add sand to the bearings?
jacko