PDA

View Full Version : Box Just Completed Today – Pic

molarman
29th January 2007, 01:26 PM
I just completed this box this afternoon. The coke can is not part of the box, and is not some exotic wood. It is there to aid in determining scale. The carcass is jatoba, the drawer fronts are quilted maple, while the legs, drawer pulls and tray are cherry. Finish is Waterlox followed by the Beall buffing system.

I routed out the recess (barely visible in the pic) in the tray as I wanted to make the tray out of a single board with no glue-ups. I will never do THAT again. Sheesh. Of course my 5” ROS would not get into the corners and that left TONS of tedious hand sanding. I bet I stood in front of that tray sanding by hand for 2 hours. Next time I do something like this, I’ll glue it together.

Thanks for looking.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/IMG_0214_2.jpg

AlexS
29th January 2007, 01:57 PM
Nice one Molarman. Your designs are pretty original and the choice of timbers really sets off the piece.

Are the pieces that join the legs to the carcass glued into the carcass for the whole depth? Do you forsee any issues with differential expansion?

TTIT
29th January 2007, 02:30 PM
Beautiful work MM - and thanks for the Coke can - had trouble judging the size of your earlier works!

molarman
29th January 2007, 02:38 PM
Nice one Molarman. Your designs are pretty original and the choice of timbers really sets off the piece.

Are the pieces that join the legs to the carcass glued into the carcass for the whole depth? Do you forsee any issues with differential expansion?

Thanks Alex. Yes, the strips in the dados are glued in over their entire length. As for wood movement, I hope that will not be an issue, but only time will tell.:fingerscrossed:

Boxinator
29th January 2007, 04:48 PM
Nice job! Man I love those drawer fronts. Nice piece!

Corey

fred.n
29th January 2007, 05:25 PM
Really, Really nice work
looks awesome

Tex B
29th January 2007, 05:39 PM
Great stuff molarman. The timber is amazing. Beautiful.

Tex

gazaly
29th January 2007, 06:19 PM
Great work MM. Love the quilted maple.

Oh, by the way, which one are you?
http://smilesrus.com/assets/group/team_04.jpg
I'm guessing back row, second from the left, Melinda. Don't ya just love Matt Damon? :D

OohRoo

zenwood
30th January 2007, 10:53 AM
Very nice piece, MM, with a striking support/framing scheme. I like the curved drawer fronts, which I presume are from a single piece of maple-? That tray must have been a nightmare. Makes you appreciate the work the old masters must've put into those pie-crust tea tables.

About the coke can: it works well for giving a sense of scale, but I think it does look a bit out of place in the photo, and detracts from showing the woodwork. Maybe some other common object of standard size would work better. Carkeys in the tray? Pair of sunglasses? A few postcards? Something to convey a more homely scene and less like a coke ad.

Thanks for posting, and look forward to seeing more of your work.

Bwillie
30th January 2007, 11:31 AM
Another great design and Artist creation. Fun isn't it? !!!:2tsup:

ICN,

Bill

Andy Mac
30th January 2007, 11:55 AM
Really nice work Molarman, haven't see anything like it before! The timbers look great, enhance the design, which would look pretty special in any timber.
Thanks for posting!:)

molarman
30th January 2007, 12:53 PM
About the coke can: it works well for giving a sense of scale, but I think it does look a bit out of place in the photo, and detracts from showing the woodwork. Maybe some other common object of standard size would work better. Carkeys in the tray? Pair of sunglasses? A few postcards? Something to convey a more homely scene and less like a coke ad.

Nice constructive criticism. Great idea. Will give it a go next time. Thanks.

Boxinator
30th January 2007, 01:00 PM
Nice work Molerman! I love the colors of the wood on this one and in particular I like how you treated the drawer fronts. This is my favorite of the 3 you have posted.

Corey

Harry72
30th January 2007, 09:19 PM
Nice work, the style seems to be individual!