PDA

View Full Version : Bandsawn Bombe Box

Sculptured Box
29th January 2007, 02:35 PM
Timber:
Australian Red Cedar

Dimensions:
Length: 23cm (9”) 17.5cm (6 ¾” ) Depth: 16.5cm (6 ½”) .

Finish:
Finished in a blend of natural oils, the base oil is Tung Oil.
Fine sanded using 1,500 wet and dry.

Bandsaw work features:
Cabinet shaping.
The top drawer contains two hidden compartments (not shown) and four open ring trays.
The lower drawer includes a sliding tray.

Sculpted features:
The box sides, front features and feet are hand carved

Construction Time:
100 hours (approximately); January 2007.

Inspiration source:
1. The origin of traditional bombe chests can be traced back to the French Regency period around the early 18th century.
2. After the demise of Louis XIV, a connoisseur of strict classical forms of furniture, furniture-makers started experimenting with newer, more casual styles of furniture making.
3. As a result, furniture shapes became more bowed and round. The signature form of this period was the bombe commode, a stylish chest with a belly-outward curve.

Information source: http://www.bombechests.com/

Tony Ward

RufflyRustic
29th January 2007, 02:39 PM
Beautiful Tony! Absolutely Stunning!!!:o :2tsup:

Cheers
Wendy

ss_11000
29th January 2007, 02:49 PM
geez. thats awesome.....100 hours well spent.
greenie launched:2tsup:

cheers

ptc
30th January 2007, 10:29 AM
Lot of work.
looks great.

Bwillie
30th January 2007, 12:04 PM
Awesome box Tony. Couldn't say anything more!

Billylad
30th January 2007, 04:20 PM
WOW ,that is indeed a heirloom piece,to be passed down .

baxter
30th January 2007, 06:13 PM
Tony I can appreciate the time, effort, craftsmanship, artistry and exceptional talent that this piece displays and I congratulate you on your patience and workmanship. BUT - I don't particularly like it:o .

Sno: I can hear the cries already:oo: . What does this goose know?:? Tony I leave that for you to judge:q .

It does not strike me with the same awe as your other works. The freeflowing, want to pick it up and caress it feel of the red cedar is lost. This is a miniature piece of furniture - beautiful, but it just doesn't have the appeal that your other works have. It is too structured.

Obviously you started out with a set pattern that you had to follow and you could not let the wood speak. I would prefer to see the freeflowing form return. As a one off, great, but I hope that this is not the Tony of the future:wink: . Your personal designs have more appeal to my eye.

For the benefit of others:~ , I know that Tony will take this in the manner that it is offered. A compliment, with a critique. :;

Sculptured Box
31st January 2007, 12:24 PM
baxter,

Thank you for "back handed compliment" if that is the right phrase to use in the circumstances.

The making of a Bombe box was technically a difficult challenge. I've broadened my skills base and may well incorporate some of the features in other boxes.

Be assured I am not setting off on a path of creating/replicating traditional styles, it was an interesting challenge.

Be good

Hickory
31st January 2007, 03:17 PM
Toni, you done did another good job..... :2tsup:

TTIT
31st January 2007, 05:09 PM
Beautiful bit of work Tony. :2tsup: Awesome.

Don't know about the French bombe likeness though - reckon it would look more at home in something like the Ettamogah pub with that shape!:;

ptc
31st January 2007, 05:46 PM
Tony
I have to say I am not keen on the Knobs
To me it takes ones eyes away from the beauty of the piece.

Barrie Restall
31st January 2007, 10:20 PM
A truly awesome piece of craftsmanship. Beautiful work Tony, an inspiration.

Thanks for showing it.

regards,

Barrie

Sculptured Box
1st February 2007, 09:56 AM
p.t.c.

Re your comment about the Knobs. There was no choice of whether to use drawer pulls, as I wanted to keep within the Bombe style. To find the right set took some considerable time, there was nothing available in Australia, the UK or the US which was suitable, eventually found these drawer pulls at Lee Valley.

Thank you Peter for your input, advice which is always highly regarded.

And my thanks to Hickory, TTIT and Barrie Restall for your kind remarks.

ptc
1st February 2007, 10:07 AM
Know I understand the reason for Knobs.

Harry72
3rd February 2007, 08:20 PM
Nice work Tony

Toolin Around
3rd February 2007, 10:45 PM
pretty darn good :2tsup: