PDA

View Full Version : African Blackwood & Ebony turnings

Sir Chiz
6th June 2003, 06:01 PM
G'day Ya'll

Here's a picture of some Blackwood and Ebony turnings I've done during my two years at the sport,I'd apreciate any feedback.
The goblet,"space thang" and the box with the
Pink Ivory inlay are Blackwood,the rest are Ebony.
The little goblet on the dime is 1/4" tall. :D

Thanks.

Phil.

Sir Chiz
7th June 2003, 03:59 PM
Here's a better look at the leetle goblet. :D
I need a hobby...

Chizalot.

journeyman Mick
7th June 2003, 11:41 PM
Phil, not being a turner I can't give much feedback however that is incredibly tiny! Do you use one of those magnifying glass setups that you wear like glasses or something similar? For myself I've noticed the last few years that the mm graduations on my tape measure are getting harder and harder to read. (And as far as the 1/2 mm markings on my steel rule go, forget it -they turned into a grey blur a few years ago!) So now that youve pushed the lower limit on the size scale are you going to see how large a piece you can manage on your lathe?

Have fun,

Mick

Sir Chiz
8th June 2003, 09:50 AM
Hi Mick,I don't use a magnifier when turning but have a hand held loupe I use with the lathe stopped to check progress.
Those pieces are actually purdy crude compared to some smaller pieces I've seen on the web.
They're just something fun I like to do when I don't have a lot of time but don't feel like sittin' on my butt.
My Jet Mini lathe has a max of 255mm x 355mm, so I there won't be anything special that way. :)
If I can manage a 4mm lidded box,I'll be happy...
for a while. :D

Check this out

Big Bowl (http://www.patricksturningpoint.com/SITE/About/4.asp)

Of course "Robbos' Big Job" (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/.htm) will always be humbling to me! :)

Phil.

Sir Chiz
15th June 2003, 05:49 PM
Here's a better picture of the Ebony Teethpick. :D
Next to a store bought one.

Chiz.

Sir Chiz
7th July 2003, 09:37 AM
Mornin' Ya'll
Here's a few newer ring boxes.
The larger one 1.25"x3" in the middle is Macassar Ebony with Pink Ivory and Tagua nut inlay.
The two smaller boxes are African Blackwood with Pink Ivory.
Whaddaya think?

Phil.

capitolm94
13th November 2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Sir Chiz
Mornin' Ya'll
Here's a few newer ring boxes.
The larger one 1.25"x3" in the middle is Macassar Ebony with Pink Ivory and Tagua nut inlay.
The two smaller boxes are African Blackwood with Pink Ivory.
Whaddaya think?

Phil.

those are nice.

PS i am located right near you in MA.

Sir Chiz
13th November 2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks Capitolm,You spend much time at Woodcraft?
I'm there most Saturday afternoons.Won't be there this Saturday though,Maybe Sunday.Stop by and say hi,I don't bite by my partner might. ;)
Here's a pic of my dawg and me.
I'm the one with the fur.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4083

Phil.

oges
13th November 2003, 08:17 PM
lovely wood that, and the turnings look great. no idea how you managed to turn goblets that small and get detail rings in them aswell!

capitolm94
14th November 2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Sir Chiz
Thanks Capitolm,You spend much time at Woodcraft?
I'm there most Saturday afternoons.Won't be there this Saturday though,Maybe Sunday.Stop by and say hi,I don't bite by my partner might. ;)
Here's a pic of my dawg and me.
I'm the one with the fur.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4083

Phil.

what happens at woodcraft on saturdays? THat is the place where 93 and 128 meet, right?

Sir Chiz
14th November 2003, 05:34 AM
A "Dime",an American 10 cent coin,used to get you a 3 minute phone call ,now you need 4 more just to get a dail tone. :rolleyes: 10 equal 1 US dollar.
The dime measures 17.8mm x 1.2mm ;)
The wee goblet measures 6.5mm tall x 6.3mm at the rim,the base is 4.5mm wide. :D

M,Woodcraft is one exit south,93 & Montvale,about 1/4 mile west of 93,next to Polcaris'.
Saturday they usually have free woodworking demos and happens to be the day my Turning friend works there so I just go and hang out and talk turnin'.

This loose ring goblet "was" 12.8mm tall,I put it in a safe place so I wouldn't loose it... :rolleyes: Tools were made of masonry nails.

Sir Chiz
14th November 2003, 05:45 AM
Well,that didn't work so I'll try it this way...

12.8mm Loose ring goblet (http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&id=Loose_Ring_Goblets&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php&PHPSESSID=5724d9793dbf362d97d96b534fe7f3b1)

Yes,I need a hobby. ;)

DPB
14th November 2003, 07:52 AM
Hey, Stoppers, if you have nothing to do this Saturday you'll have to drive by and have a squiz at chiz.:D

Sir Chiz
14th November 2003, 04:54 PM
Ain't gonna be around Satdee,stop in Sundee,we'll get a coupla beeahs an some lobstahs,then we go visit Nohm Abram an check out his routahs. :D
Maybe he'll show us howta make dovetail draws. ;)

Had my squiz checked by the doctor coupla weeks ago. :(

Chiz.