PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Platter

Little Festo
30th January 2007, 12:19 AM
I had a large chunk of Camphor that was quite dry but rather badly cracked. I wasn't too sure about how bad the cracks were - until i started turning it. I'll try filling them and maybe doing somthing different with the rim so I'll leave it overnight and maybe make a decision in the morning. I've got some malachite I could use, I'll see and also the rim needs something, might carve some swirls. It's quite a big piece about 580mm in diameter.

When I shut up shop and sipped on a beer after a hard days work there was a glorious sunset, nice way to finish a day.

Peter

hughie
30th January 2007, 12:29 AM
I had a large chunk of Camphor that was quite dry but rather badly cracked. I wasn't too sure about how bad the cracks were - until i started turning it. I'll try filling them and maybe doing somthing different with the rim so I'll leave it overnight and maybe make a decision in the morning. I've got some malachite I could use, I'll see and also the rim needs something, might carve some swirls. It's quite a big piece about 580mm in diameter.

When I shut up shop and sipped on a beer after a hard days work there was a glorious sunset, nice way to finish a day.
Peter,

Nice chunk and a good size too! Hmmm, yeah the cracks are a bit big for the usual sanding dust and CA. Malachite or brass powder etc Its gonna look real nice when its done. For me I use brass powder its seems to go well with the colour of the Camphor. If you chuck a bit of oil on it the colour will really come to the fore.

Dont foregt to post the completed pics when your done

ps love the view, but it does not compare to my view of the driveway facing no where in particular :D

TTIT
30th January 2007, 09:21 AM
I just finished a very similar looking piece of camphor recently with a few very similar looking cracks. I filled them with brass powder and was pleasantly surprised at how well the brass blended with the camphor - I usually only use it in darker timbers. If I ever get that light tent done I'll post a pic. Whatever you do with it, I'm sure it will look great.:U

PS: Ya just gotta rub it in with the view dontcha Pete!!!:~ (Yes I'm bloody jealous!!) :;

ptc
30th January 2007, 09:42 AM
Very nice.
That view reminds me of Kilcoy. (storm comming ?)

TTIT
30th January 2007, 10:22 AM
Found a pic while it was still on the lathe - came up pretty good with a coat of oil. The cracks are a lot wider than the ones in your piece Peter but it gives you an idea of how the brass would look in it at least. :shrug:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th January 2007, 03:07 PM
Mmmm... don't you just love Camphor Laurel?

'Tis great for debugging the shed, too! :D

BernieP
30th January 2007, 03:21 PM
G'Day Peter

Nice big hunk of Camphor, love the stuff, will be very interested to see what you do with cracks. And love the sunset.

Cheers
Bernie

Caveman
30th January 2007, 07:14 PM
Wow Peter that's one lovely piece of wood there - amazing markings.

Show us how it turned out when your done.

ss_11000
30th January 2007, 08:50 PM
looks like it will turn out awesome. verns brass powder looks pretty good with camphor...

cheers

Wayne Blanch
30th January 2007, 08:58 PM
Broody lubbery bit of wood:D
Re the sunset, I am not jealous, I am NOT jealous:C

Cliff Rogers
30th January 2007, 11:22 PM
I hate people who clean up before they take the photo. :~
I showed HER the pic saying "have a look at this nice bit of wood" & got a very sarcastic "How come your shed isn't that clean?" :doh:

Little Festo
31st January 2007, 10:01 AM
I hate people who clean up before they take the photo. :~
I showed HER the pic saying "have a look at this nice bit of wood" & got a very sarcastic "How come your shed isn't that clean?" :doh:

Cliff,

Next time I'll include a photo of the floor, I'll show your reply to the wife, she's always on at me to clean up - and I'm not the most tidy person although I try.

I've decided to take the easy option and carve some swirls in from the rim. I might fill the cracks with some malachite I've got. It will come up a a greenish black with some green malachite "nuggets". I'll carve first then make a decision on what to fill with.

Peter

OGYT
31st January 2007, 02:33 PM
Bang-up job on that 22" Platter... and that's surely awesome timber!!
The camphor I have is rather plain, nothing like that!! You lucky folks from the Lucky Country really have some beautiful camphor...

Little Festo
1st February 2007, 11:56 AM
Bang-up job on that 22" Platter... and that's surely awesome timber!!
The camphor I have is rather plain, nothing like that!! You lucky folks from the Lucky Country really have some beautiful camphor...

Guess we are lucky. I cut the blank from a slab from the local clubs "wood shed". I got a smaller platter about 350mm in diameter as well. They have so much camphor that they are not slabbing anymore (only logs they already have) until there is some room left in the shed - it's full!!. Prices are VERY reasonable and most of it has quite a lot of colour, some dry but mostly green.

Peter

Caveman
26th February 2007, 11:19 PM
Hey Peter - did you get manage to finishing that platter off?
Such a beaut piece of grain - been looking forward to seeing how it turned out!

Hope it went to plan.