PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Accessories

aritoni
30th January 2007, 01:13 AM
I would like to start some projects on a lathe and am interested in bowl and hollow form turnings. I have a 1050's Walker Turner lathe and would appreciate advice on chucks, cutting tools and tool rests I should think about for the type of work I would like to try.

Any advice?

hughie
30th January 2007, 08:47 AM
I would like to start some projects on a lathe and am interested in bowl and hollow form turnings. I have a 1050's Walker Turner lathe and would appreciate advice on chucks, cutting tools and tool rests I should think about for the type of work I would like to try.
Any advice

Aritoni,

I am gonna have to make a few assumptions here not really knowing what your budget is and what available in Greece.

Tool rests: there should be at least one or two with the lathe...hopefully. You can buy various curved types. But if you have a friend who is in the metal trades it is better to get them made as you need them. Also start to turn a few open type bowls and let your experience grow and it will show what type of tools rests that suit you.

Chucks: Down under we use primarily Vicmarc, Teknatool and of course the Chinese low cost chucks. You can start with your face plate this will save you jumping in the deep end $$$ wise.

Tools: If you start with open type bowls then you will only need your bowl gouge. Which is the cheapest option for turning bowls. As to brands Sorby,Hamlet, Taylor etc
Failing that get your self a basic starter kit like below.
http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/woodturn.HTM

Hollow form will need more specialized tools ie Munro hollower, Woodcut Proforme, Oland and numerous others.

Your best bet is to do a search of the forum as all of these question and more have already been covered in various threads. What and where to buy, how much etc. Preferred types and also how to make your own low cost tools and rests.
What you will find is that the cost of tools and other accessories far out ways the cost of the lathe.

good luck

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th January 2007, 03:03 PM
Once again, Hughie has it covered.

My recommendation would be to start with bowls, leave hollow forms alone for a while until you have a bit of experience under your belt. The experience from one will help you with the other.

A faceplate is a good start (most lathes come with at least one) and you'll probably find that as your items become larger you'll go back to using a faceplate even after you buy a chuck. :rolleyes: A chuck is a very handy device, but it's convenience is more in speed of use... I've yet to come across anything that can't be mounted with a faceplate, jam chuck and a bit of effort. :wink:

At first you'll only need the basic tools; bowl gouge, scrapers, a spindle gouge or two. With a few bowls under your belt, then you'll know what other tools will best suit what you do. I know many blokes who have some very expensive tools they never use... they only bought them on someone's recommendation. Remember, the tools aren't that important; it's how well you use what you have!

Toolrests, are much the same. Once you've turned a few bowls, you'll know what shapes you need. And as Hughie said, it's easiest to get a metal worker friend to make a couple up to your spec's.

(Hmmm... looking back at the above, I'm only repeating what Hughie has already said, it's just taking me longer to say it. But I've taken the time to type it, so I'll post it just the same. :p)

Anfo
31st January 2007, 01:16 AM
It's all been well covered, regarding tools and accessories etc, but can you post some pictures of the lathe?

Walker Turner were makers of some fine woodworking machinery, for years I had one of their wood drilling machines - it had 24'' throat, a high speed swivel head and motor, mounted on a ram which could slide on the top of a rising column.

OGYT
1st February 2007, 11:25 AM
When I first began turning, I found this webpage, followed his easy directions, and made some of my own. Today, I couldn't turn without some of them.:2tsup:
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/tools.shtml
His name is Darrell Feltmate. He's in Nova Scotia. Wealth of information on that Website. :yes: