PDA

View Full Version : Box--Gil's wood

lubbing5cherubs
30th January 2007, 10:29 AM
Gidday, I have made this box. It is wood made from Gil. It spalted beech. This is my box I made Love to know what you reckon. THis is my 3rd box
bye Toni:D

Gil Jones
30th January 2007, 04:44 PM
Toni, keep up the good work, lidded boxes are fun.
If you could turn a softwood jam-chuck to fit inside the base and support the foot with a live center, you could try to trim down (or remove) the foot and make the box a bit more stylish (that is just my humble opinion).

TTIT
30th January 2007, 05:01 PM
Great effort Toni. I'm guessing by the shape of the foot that you don't have a chuck yet?? Like Gil said, a jam chuck to reverse the piece on so you can turn the foot to a more pleasing shape would make all the difference.:)

lubbing5cherubs
30th January 2007, 06:11 PM
Gidday, Yeah I do have the chuck too but I was trying to put a foot on it but it got to fat. but I am experimenting still with another
bye Toni

Wayne Blanch
30th January 2007, 08:46 PM
Good work Toni and only your third box - well done:2tsup: Boxes are great fun to make aren't they:D

Gidday, I am experimenting still with another
bye Toni

Keep on experimenting it is half the fun! and the rewards seem greater when you turn something that is functional, aesthetically pleasing and you learned from it.:U

joe greiner
30th January 2007, 10:17 PM
Nice work, Toni. Might look better if the bottom resembled the top (inverted), unless the inside is too deep of course. Wouldn't be a very good box if things fell out the bottom.

Joe

OGYT
31st January 2007, 02:44 PM
Third box, Toni? You're doin' well, Young-un'.
I copied a jam chuck I saw once. It's cone-shaped with an adjustable rod running through the center. I padded the end of the rod with leather, and can tighten it with a set screw.
Just put the rod into the box, against the bottom, and slide the top against the padded cone (jam), loosely. Semi-tighten the set screw, bring up the tailstock, and push the box up against the Jam, take a nip up on the setscrew, and you're in business. Then it's easy to turn the foot.