PDA

View Full Version : How stupid can they get??

Wood Butcher
30th January 2007, 01:11 PM
Found this while browsing another site today
http://www.freewebs.com/echillsrailwayobserver/EWR%20Latest%20Updates/Sun%2028th%20Jan%202007%20023.jpg

Wonder how long till someone loses a finger??

Shedhand
30th January 2007, 01:15 PM
looks like one of those narrow gauge train clubs. For pseudo engineers they do some dumb things. :oo: :o

Waldo
30th January 2007, 03:44 PM
G'day Wood Butcher,

A lot stupider.

A bloke I know was once planing a 60mm sq. parquetry tile with an electric planer as he held onto it with the other hand. :o

We were all waiting for the invitable to happen, to his shear luck it didn't. Dopey bugger.

rrich
30th January 2007, 04:00 PM
Please forgive the references to imperial measure.

I was having a room addition built on the home. Everything had been framed and a carpenter is standing on the roof rafters. He needed a 1" x 6" piece of material to use for the edge of the roof prior to putting the plywood sheeting on.

Again, standing on the rafters! The carpenter picks up a 1" x 8" by 10 feet piece of timber. He then procedes to rip the 1" x 8" to the desired width with a circular saw. He balances the 1" x 8" on his right knee, holding the circular saw in his right hand and uses his left hand to pull the 1" x 8" through the saw.

After he was about three feet into the rip cut, I stopped watching. I still shudder when I think about that cut.

normanjr
30th January 2007, 04:01 PM
some people are just asking for trouble...for the sake of avoiding a couple of extra steps to get the job done...they'll risk their fingers - or worse.

I suppose the above picture is a good enough reason to keep the idiot pictures at the front of every power tool manual.

Felder
30th January 2007, 04:08 PM
The carpenter picks up a 1" x 8" by 10 feet piece of timber. He then procedes to rip the 1" x 8" to the desired width with a circular saw. He balances the 1" x 8" on his right knee, holding the circular saw in his right hand and uses his left hand to pull the 1" x 8" through the saw.

:yikes:

:no::no::no::no:

Bluegum
30th January 2007, 04:18 PM
As they say it takes all kinds to make the world go round. :doh: I remember watching my ex brother in law rest logs on his foot to cut them for fire wood. He thought that after a few beers he could he do anything including cut timber.

joe greiner
30th January 2007, 09:32 PM
We had a stubborn old cabinetmaker who thought push sticks were for sissies; couldn't be persuaded to use one on a table saw. Sure enough, one day he sailed his hand right on through. I don't know if they ever found his thumb.

Joe

michael74
30th January 2007, 10:02 PM
:~ :~ :~ :~ :~ cant teach the old folk....there way or the hiway:no: :no: :no:

Cabbie
30th January 2007, 10:20 PM
I am the safety officer at my work and a lot of the safety laws are pretty bloody ######## but yeh bein out and about I have seen some incredibly stupid stuff. I still don't understand why people can't just take a lttle more time and do things properly leaving guardsin place. It reall pisses me off then they cry foul when they stuff up n hurt themselves bt they have only themselves to blame. That is seriously stupid up there how dumb can ya be??

Harry72
30th January 2007, 10:44 PM
I laugh at the idiots at work who walk under a crane load... even when the crane driver is beeping frantically at them before they've walked under it, what can you do... nothing they've been warned by induction courses and bloody great signs everywhere(plus the deafening crane sirens), lucky their wearing a hard hat aye.
Its not funny if its a dross tub(skip) thats dripping molten lead, they get a very rude shock...

joe greiner
30th January 2007, 11:03 PM
Moving a bridge crane with the empty hook low can be fun to watch, until . . . :oo: We welded handles to the hooks; pendant controller box in one hand, hook handle in other. Much safer that way.

Joe

soundman
30th January 2007, 11:48 PM
This is one of those pictures you could use for a " Spot the hasard" competition.

:no: :no: :no:

There's the obvious circular saw problem.
Name 3 body parts this circular saw could easily remove?

The cables laying around one of which the operator is standing on.
the extension cord is almost all still on the roll.
the operator will probaly stand up and scrag his back on the woden rail.

Where is this dude...... I want to know so I can stay away.

cheers

Wood Butcher
31st January 2007, 12:15 AM
Unless you have any plans of travelling to the UK you will be pretty safe Soundman

Harry72
31st January 2007, 08:32 PM
Moving a bridge crane with the empty hook low can be fun to watch, until . . . :oo: We welded handles to the hooks; pendant controller box in one hand, hook handle in other. Much safer that way.

JoeWouldnt pass the rules here... no welding allowed on lifting equipment unless its done during its manufacturing process, but you are allowed to weld lifting lugs onto a load(by an approved boiler maker)
Even if we could be no good to us... you'd need very long arms as our tools carried by the crane are huge!

Those pendant controllers are IMHO dangerous, its very easy to get too close to the load. Ours are fully remote controlled or driven by the cabin, the cranes I drive are about 100' across and traverse the shed about 400' have 2 hooks a 25T and a 6T aux.

BobL
31st January 2007, 09:11 PM
. . The carpenter picks up a 1" x 8" by 10 feet piece of timber. He then procedes to rip the 1" x 8" to the desired width with a circular saw. He balances the 1" x 8" on his right knee, holding the circular saw in his right hand and uses his left hand to pull the 1" x 8" through the saw.

Reminds me of a chippie (built like a brick outhouse) I knew who would regularly rip short (200 - 300 mm long) pieces of jarrah floorboard in half as follows. Jam the guard open on the circular, flip the saw on its back and hold it in mid-air with his left hand and fire it up and pass the bit of wood through with the other hand all while holding an in-depth conversation. (err . . . . come to think of it, none of his converstations were ever what you would call in-depth)

He also cut some door and window architrave mitres this way. he claimed he could see what he was doing better and treated it all as a bit of a juggling act. Miraculously I understand he still has all his bits and pieces!

joe greiner
1st February 2007, 12:25 AM
Wouldnt pass the rules here.

'Twas before you were born, Harry. Lot of safety improvements since then. Environmental, too.

Joe

John Saxton
2nd February 2007, 10:58 PM
:doh: If at first they don't succeed they get stupid and more stupid as time goes on:doh:

Cheers:)

rick_rine
2nd February 2007, 11:16 PM
Subject: Millionaire idiot contestant

Idiotic ‘Millionaire’ Contestant Makes Worst Use Of Lifelines Ever
http://attach.mud.mail.yahoo.com/us.f318.mail.yahoo.com/ym/us/ShowLetter?box=Inbox&MsgId=2619_2857308_24472_1813_49279_0_6768_75174_1587679108&bodyPart=2&YY=51623&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=f&Idx=0

Kathy Evans, the single dumbest contestant to ever get on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

NEW YORK – Idaho resident Kathy Evans brought humiliation to her friends and family Tuesday when she set a new standard for stupidity with her appearance on the popular TV show, “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.”

It seems that Evans, a 32-year-old wife and mother of two, got stuck on the first question, and proceeded to make what fans of the show are dubbing “the absolute worst use of lifelines ever.”
After being introduced to the show’s host Meredith Vieira, Evans assured her that she was ready to play, whereupon she was posed with an extremely easy $100 question. The question was:
“Which of the following is the largest?”
A) A Peanut
B) An Elephant
C) The Moon
D) Hey, who you calling large?
Immediately Mrs. Evans was struck with an all consuming panic as she realized that this was a question to which she did not readily know the answer.
“Hmm, oh boy, that’s a toughie,” said Evans, as Vieira did her level best to hide her disbelief and disgust. “I mean, I’m sure I’ve heard of some of these things before, but I have no idea how large they would be.”
Evans made the decision to use the first of her three lifelines, the 50/50. Answers A and D were removed, leaving her to decide which was bigger, an elephant or the moon. However, faced with an incredibly easy question, Evans still remained unsure.
“Oh! It removed the two I was leaning towards!” exclaimed Evans. “Darn. I think I better phone a friend.”
Using the second of her two lifelines on the first question, Mrs. Evans asked to be connected with her friend Betsy, who is an office assistant.
“Hi Betsy! How are you? This is Kathy! I’m on TV!” said Evans, wasting the first seven seconds of her call. “Ok, I got an important question. Which of the following is the largest? B, an elephant, or C, the moon. 15 seconds hun.”
Betsy quickly replied that the answer was C, the moon. Evans proceeded to argue with her friend for the remaining ten seconds.
“Come on Betsy, are you sure?” said Evans. “How sure are you? Puh, that can’t be it.”
To everyone’s astonishment, the moronic Evans declined to take her friend’s advice and pick ‘The Moon.’
“I just don’t know if I can trust Betsy. She’s not all that bright. So I think I’d like to ask the audience,” said Evans.
Asked to vote on the correct answer, the audience returned 98% in favor of answer C, ‘The Moon.’ Having used up all her lifelines, Evans then made the dumbest choice of her life.
“Wow, seems like everybody is against what I’m thinking,” said the too-stupid-to-live Evans. “But you know, sometimes you just got to go with your gut. So, let’s see. For which is larger, an elephant or the moon, I’m going to have to go with B, an elephant. Final answer.”
Evans sat before the dumbfounded audience, the only one waiting with bated breath, and was told that she was wrong, and that the answer was in fact, C, 'The Moon.'