PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander

bystander
30th January 2007, 11:08 PM
I first discovered this site while searching for a DRUM SANDER. I discovered STURDEES machine and was amazed at the simplicity of the drum, the rest of the machine was straight forward but I never envisaged the drum would be so simple.
So lets start building. After some thought I decided the basic concept did not suite my needs. I wanted something that I could run a piece of timber through several times without messing around with adjustments. I have constructed a machine along the lines of a planer, I run the timber over the sander, remove about half ml each time and do so until the item is satisfactory.
But the story is the DRUM. I followed STURDEES details and found the balancing painful. Finally got it right only to find next time I went to use it it shook like hell. Hit it with the hammer which didn't fix it, made it worse.
Eureka. I had the cardboard core from a newsprint roll, good 1/2 inch thick, dead straight and ready to go. Two end caps, one centre timber support and it works like a dream. Didn't need balancing now have a second one with different grade paper, one nut to change, too easy.:U

Toymaker Len
30th January 2007, 11:41 PM
This has got to be the tip of the month ! You've just put the commercial drum sanders out of business. I should know, I've just spent two days frigging around with an orange coloured 16" model. Not one single part easy to remove or adjust...

Shedhand
31st January 2007, 12:04 AM
I first discovered this site while searching for a DRUM SANDER. I discovered STURDEES machine and was amazed at the simplicity of the drum, the rest of the machine was straight forward but I never envisaged the drum would be so simple.
So lets start building. After some thought I decided the basic concept did not suite my needs. I wanted something that I could run a piece of timber through several times without messing around with adjustments. I have constructed a machine along the lines of a planer, I run the timber over the sander, remove about 1/2 ml each time and do so until the item is satisfactory.
But the story is the DRUM. I followed STURDEES details and found the balancing painful. Finally got it right only to find next time I went to use it it shook like hell. Hit it with the hammer which didn't fix it, made it worse.
Eureka. I had the cardboard roll from a newsprint roll, good 1/2 inch thick, dead straight and ready to go. Two end caps, one centre timber support and it works like a dream. Didn't need balancing now have a second one with different grade paper, one nut to change, too easy.:UWhere did you get the newsprint roll from? Great idea. Greenie heading your way. :2tsup:

bystander
31st January 2007, 09:34 AM
My local newspaper sells them with some paper left on. Cost is $2.00 though. :U

Incidentally my drum is 650ml wide and all up cost for machine $38.75 plus bits and pieces we all seem to have lying around.

Black Ned
31st January 2007, 10:30 AM
Picture please - need to see this.

bystander
31st January 2007, 10:48 AM
Pictures coming. Give us a couple of days.

KevM
31st January 2007, 12:52 PM
Where did you get the newsprint roll from? Great idea. Greenie heading your way. :2tsup:

I bought a partial roll a few years ago for around $6.00 from the Mercury in Argyle St, go to the warehouse door, ring storeman doorbell and he will fix you up. Still got paper left and the kids are now too old to use the remainder. But useful for wrapping.

Kev M

Shedhand
31st January 2007, 01:13 PM
I bought a partial roll a few years ago for around $6.00 from the Mercury in Argyle St, go to the warehouse door, ring storeman doorbell and he will fix you up. Still got paper left and the kids are now too old to use the remainder. But useful for wrapping.

Kev MThanks Kev. :2tsup:

bystander
31st January 2007, 11:34 PM
Here are some pictures.

Concept is that back table is approx 1/2 ml higher than front. Drum is level with back.

I said earlier that I was going to have another drum with different grade paper. The reason for this was that as I attach paper with staples I thought I would wear drum end out quickly. I have now decided to change the paper each time I need different grade as I only need two staples each end, its easy to change paper with drum in place and if I wear drum out it's easy and cheap to replace.

bystander
31st January 2007, 11:38 PM
Just a couple more.

Cliff Rogers
1st February 2007, 10:26 AM
Good one BS.
What was the motor that you used?

BobL
1st February 2007, 12:59 PM
Bystander, Very nice!
I notice you don't have a pressure roller of any kind on How much pressure do you have to put on the timber?

Cheers

Sturdee
1st February 2007, 02:38 PM
A very clever adaptation showing another approach. Congratulations.

Peter.

bystander
3rd February 2007, 10:25 PM
I have used a washing machine motor. Don't know it's rating but it seems to do the job well. I have another WM motor and its pretty useless, think it's the luck of the draw.

Pressure on the timber is minimal. It's just a matter of holding it steady and moving forward at a constant rate. The simplicity is that you don't take off too much at one time, this may mean several passes to achieve the desired result but each pass is quick.

I originally intended to make the drum fixed and the front and rear tables adjustable, this was too hard as they had to stay parallel. I have the front table fixed, the drum adjustable and the rear table is raised by inserting a packer of minimal thickness. Experimenting with various things, eg. laminate, shims etc..

Munga
4th February 2007, 08:46 AM
Great idea bystander any idea what RPM it's running at.:2tsup:

Arch

bystander
10th February 2007, 04:38 PM
Sorry for such a brief reply but,

No.

There are markings on the motor but I can't make anything of them. Maybe when my daughter next visits she'll have her good eyes with her and we'll work it out.

bystander
28th February 2007, 10:14 PM
I have an answer for you MUNGA.

I had to pull the drum apart so I list the following for your perusal.

I use a threaded rod as the shaft,
There are 50 threads per 100mm.
I placed a a fine piece of metal in the thread and turned on the motor.
It took 12.4 seconds to travel 535mm.
Thus I figure it's about 1300 RPM.

If anyone tries this design, then I it is most important to get the end caps 100% accurate. I don't have a lathe or drill press, so getting the hole for the shaft straight and the section supporting the drum centered has been rather difficult. It's not too bad at the moment but when using fine paper (240) I get ripples (for want of a better name)

Good Luck.:U :U

Wild Dingo
1st March 2007, 05:36 PM
Great idea :2tsup: ... Im STILL swearing and buggarizin around with the orange buggar I bought and to tell the truth the sodding thing is yet tp work right :~ seems to me these things are designed ass about face like the 15in thicknesser the timber should be on a constand level and RAISED to meet the drum not the drum lowered to the timber... and the flimsy outside hanger that this thing moves on is like an after thought when compared to the winding side :doh:

ah well a greenie on its way :2tsup:

Big Shed
1st March 2007, 05:44 PM
Almost bought one of these off Timbecon, they have a good offer in their latest brochure.

Decided against it in the end, for two reasons:

1 All the bad press on this forum for Timbecon

2 Bendigo is a long way from Perth for service

Sounds like it is not such a good machine anyway?