PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a woodpal

Yank
8th June 2003, 03:34 AM
Hi all,

I was out in the shop last night turning and I had a thought. I as Yank, live in the USA. And most of you live Down under. So I thought it might be nice to have a woodpal. Not a penpal but woodpal I would box up some American wood common to me and send it to you and you would send me some wood common to you. I am not talking about breaking the bank on this, just wood you might have laying around or wood you have harvested yourself. I just thought what might be common to you is new and exciting for me and the same for you. We can cut out the middle man on this and just send it to each other. Well let me know what you think.

Yank
Loren in Joliet Il, USA

jhunt_2000
12th June 2003, 07:01 PM
Hi Yank,
I am a newbie on the forum but I read your post and figured what the hey, sounds good. I am also fairly new to woodturning although I have been working with wood on an amateur basis for ages. My supplies of wood are small but growing and I would be happy to swap with you. The only problem I could see is the fairly stringent quarantine laws we have. I will check them out from my end and if you do the same from your end we can see how to do it. Look forward to hearing from you,
John.

Yank
14th June 2003, 04:37 PM
I'll see what is needed for my side and we will go from there.

Yank
Loren

jhunt_2000
13th September 2003, 01:24 AM
Back finally. Made some calls and if you are still interested wood entering Oz is okay as long as it is insect, dirt, and bark free. We can just send it parcelpost back and forth as long as we are careful about those three things. Don't know about you but my collection is starting to grow so it may be worth trying???:)

gatiep
13th September 2003, 01:55 PM
Oz Quarranteen doesn't take kindly to 'raw' wood. When I migrated here I made sure that the wood I brought was clean and insect free and I just sprayed a light coat of automotive 2 pack clearcoat ( that which gets sprayed over the metallic base coat on cars) over the timber. This made quarranteen very happy and all my timber went through with no problems. So if u do not have bark on it, it is easy to clean up afterwards. Spray whatever you like, even acrylic paint, cause the covering changes it from raw wood to machined, worked or treated wood.
Thats my half penny's worth
Have fun....................Keep turning