PDA

View Full Version : Shed project wip

Border boy
31st January 2007, 07:09 PM
Hi people,
thought I'd share some pics of shed going up in the backyard. It has been a "on again - off again" idea, but we (SWMBO & I) have bit the bullet & that's where we are now.
Shed is 12x9m, horizontally clad with reverse rolled monoclad to hopefully match our weatherboard home.
Anyway, some pics.
To be continued.....

Ozartisan
31st January 2007, 11:53 PM
Great Looking shed Border Boy. Won't know yourself when you get in it!
great to see I am not the only one running cladding horizontally to match the house!
Looking forward to seeing more of the progress pics.
Here is one of mine in progress on a previous thread
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=34731

snowyskiesau
1st February 2007, 12:17 AM
Going up in the backyard? Look more like it's replacing your backyard!

routermaniac
1st February 2007, 06:37 AM
Great Looking shed Border Boy. Won't know yourself when you get in it!
great to see I am not the only one running cladding horizontally to match the house!

Make that 3 of us, I managed to find the exact style of weatherboard after a bit of work, cladding is up but will be a while before its all finished

Border boy
2nd February 2007, 10:42 PM
Hey people,
I've been interstate for a couple of days, shed is nearly done - all cladding is on, roof is on, roller doors are on, very excited.
Happy & Router, thanks for the link & comments, it's nice to know I'm not the only horizontal thinking person out there. will post more pics soon, it's dark outside & I don't think a flash would do it justice.
Snowy, we still have room for a future paved courtyard immediately out the back & a nice BBQ area beyond that underneath a beautiful old tree. I'm looking foward to not having to water & mow the huge area up the back that we really weren't using - until now.
Cheers.

DJ’s Timber
3rd February 2007, 06:51 AM
Looks like it's going to be a bewdy

pawnhead
3rd February 2007, 02:06 PM
Going up in the backyard? Look more like it's replacing your backyard!Yeh, it looks more like a factory in a yard than a shed.
Nice way of avoiding having to get a concrete pump in.

Border boy
4th February 2007, 04:00 PM
Back again.
Pawnhead, budget was/is tight so concrete pump wasn't an option. Mini trucks were the way to go, although I had to demolish half of the existing "shed" to give them enough clearance to the backyard.
Final pics, shed is complete, a blank canvas, heaps still to do - paint floor, organise space, hook up power & plumbing etc. ect...
Anyway, shed is up!

squashedfrog1
4th February 2007, 04:04 PM
awww,

now that is NICE.

:photo3:

DJ’s Timber
4th February 2007, 04:14 PM
Looks great Border boy, but what are those leftover bits on the ground :o

squashedfrog1
4th February 2007, 04:20 PM
:peace2:

dj, I think you're like me......left over stuff? Mmmm, going cheap?
Swmbo is even worse, she can visualise whole projects from the tiniest left over stuff.......

She even has a thing I call the bargain centre. You name it, timber, steel, roofing, STUFF! If you need it, she's got it in her "bargain centre" Hell she's even got tractor implements. That was enuff to make me buy a tractor!

For gawd's sake don't mention there's leftovers........

sf

Border boy
4th February 2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks people,
I'm pretty stoked with the way it looks.
The left over stuff is some cladding that was mistakenly delivered with my shed. Unfortunately the shed mob are picking it up next week - for a moment I thought I'd scored something to line inside with. Oh well :no:
Cheers.

rona
4th February 2007, 04:30 PM
Hi,
Just been viewing your pics of the shed, and some of the comments, shed looks great, I added to mine about 12 months ago and it would be about the same area as yours now, I thought it would be big enough, but buy the time you get your machines and a few cupboards and work bench suddenly you have run out of room! I would like to see a pic when you fill 'er up it should be excellent. Mine was fine until 4 months ago when I was informed that I had 95% cancer in my bones and prostate also, so I decided that in the 2 - 3 hours a day that I can be out of bed I needed to be occupied, so I got in touch with Carb-atec in Melbourne, and bought all new machines which fill-up over half the shed now (also $30.000 later). I believe it was a good move, it gets me outside and keeps me occupied and 'er indoors only gets upset half the time now. OK, I hope you get a lot of satisfaction out of your construction, because it looks great (and dings snakes won't be able to get access either!).
All the best,
Regards,
Ron.

Border boy
4th February 2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for those words Ron.
I bet you enjoy time spent in your Carb-atec palace.
If my shed's not big enough I'm in trouble cause I couldn't go any bigger & don't worry, it's definitely snake proof:2tsup:
Cheers.

Wild Dingo
5th February 2007, 08:25 PM
Mate thats a bottler of a shed!! :2tsup: how about you just pack it up an move it over here?... ah buggar it! I will head over an camp in the thing! :2tsup:

Ron mate... sorry to hear of the medical probs mate... all the best keep yer ass in the shed an she'll be right... seems I heard once one of the best "medicines" available for people who are crooker than a nuns bum is to be active doin things theyre passionate about so hang in there an keep makin stuff :2tsup:

But I do want that shed!! Good one!! :2tsup: Greenies on its way!

rona
5th February 2007, 08:47 PM
Hello fellas,
Thanks to the Border boy and Dingo for your kind words. As ding mentioned I intend to do exactly what he said keep in the shed as much as possible (at the moment I can manage around two hours a day) I always wanted to build grandfather clocks and play around on the lathe; so this is the reason I went all out on Carba-tec gear with their biggest and best so as to speak and the deals that I got were incredable ( I saved or received almost $10,000 in discounts). I have no connections at all with anyone at
Carba-tec and approached them out of the blue and they were marvelous, very, very helpful.Border Boys shed will be A1 too, he's allowed plenty of height as well as floor space, 2 roller doors and widows. Did you put electric openers on the doors as they get to be a pain in the butt after a while.
OK got to hit the sack again, All the best,
Regards, Ron

Border boy
5th February 2007, 09:09 PM
G'day Ron & Wild Dingo.

Dingo's spot on regarding time spent doing what you are passionate about - it's the best.
I won't be putting electric openers on the doors, they're easy to lift as is.

Glad to here that your snake problem is sorted Dingo, pain in the butt knowing that you're sharing your space with slithery things. I can admire them from a distance but not when I know they could be under that bit of timber I'm just about to lift, thanks for the greenie BTW.

Ron you're right about headspace. I went with 2700 high at the gutters which with a 15 degree roof pitch means around 4000 at the ridge.

I was just sitting up in the shed after opening it up after a really hot day here in Albury, enjoying a beer with SWMBO & an Eastern Rosella flew in one door, thru the shed & out the other door - I hope that this means good luck, or maybe I've built in their age old migratory path??:o

Keep happy Guys,

Cheers.

Wild Dingo
6th February 2007, 02:14 AM
Take it as good luck mate :2tsup:

When we first finished my shed well cave actually :; and were sittin back enjoying a cold one while purveying the scenery to the creek from the open doorway a black cockatoo flew in one door an out the other... just checkin it out I reckoned... then anothery zoomed through... then anothery... and anothery and looking up to the big pine tree where they congregate we realized tehre were only 4 up there... they were doin bloody laps!! :o

And once they got sick of it they sat up there and chucked pine cones down onto the roof!!... and still bloody do that!!

Ive had rosellas cockys a kookaburra the snakes a couple of lizards a stray cat and a dog in there at odd times... and I dont own any animals!! Actually funny thing about animals and a fellas cave next doors got some young calfs in the adjacent paddock... now this paddock has buggar all by way of fences he cant be bothered and I just dont care at present as Ive more than enough on my plate to worry about that fences just dont touch the radar around here... anyway I was sippin me mornin coffee at 5am the other day just standin idily at the kitchen window when this young calf wanders through the garden and over to the shed door... does a bit of sniffin an chewin its cud then just wanders around the shed as content as you please... so I got to wondering as one does...so while he was around behind the shed I quietly raced out and opened the doors and darted back inside stood at the window and watched... around he comes just dawdlin along as calfs do... and sees the open doorway and you guessed it in he waltzes!!

Scared the shyte outta himselrf when he mooed and it echoed and reviberated around the shed!! :U pity about the work table bein in his way :doh: hes been back a couple of times since but I make sure the doors are shut now... took me a couple of days to get the stink of his shat outta there :~

But mate I take it as a good omen if birds or animals or even little nippers take to me shed/cave... means it feels relaxed safe and secure to them and thats a good thing Im thinkin :2tsup:

Years ago when we were living in the mission outside Carnarvon the missus had a pair of tawny frogmouth owls that lived above the clothes line in the eaves and would drop down to sit and watch her hang the washing out... and the kids had a blue tongue lizard that used to sit under the trampoline when they were using it just sittin there watchin them... man that was an interesting place for birdlife and animal visitations I can tell yer!! :2tsup:

Anyway... I reckon that sheds gonna give you many years of great times and see some brilliant stuff exit its doors :2tsup: