PDA

View Full Version : shielded power cable

rkreim
1st February 2007, 01:12 PM
The power cable upgrade it wiil make a difference to your cd player, power amp ,dvd player. clearer treble open midrange and firmer bass.
Check out the following
www.rkcable.com.au (http://www.rkcable.com.au)

Eddie Jones
1st February 2007, 07:00 PM
The power cable upgrade it wiil make a difference to your cd player, power amp ,dvd player. clearer treble open midrange and firmer bass.
Check out the following

What's wrong with a 100hz low pass filter in the DC supply lead? A damn sight cheaper and a damn sight more effective. Been around since Adam was a pup.

Master Splinter
1st February 2007, 10:36 PM
$299 for less than two meters of shielded power cable!. Wow, thats an audio bargain!!!one!!

As soon as I finish paying for the items below, I'll get right on to buying it!!1!eleven!!!

Beechwood knobs with C37 lacquer for better sound $485 US (http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C)

Speaker cable tails with "Slipstream Quantum Purifier" for $990 US (http://www.bybeetech.com/products.asp)

Golden sound acoustic disks for $140 US (http://www.goldensound.com/productlist/acoustic-discs)

Master Splinter
1st February 2007, 10:38 PM
Oh and I'll get one of those DVD rewinders, too!!!!

Stuart
1st February 2007, 10:45 PM
Oh and I'll get one of those DVD rewinders, too!!!!
Need one myself. Rewinding by hand is a right pain - especially the extra long blu-ray disks.

Harry72
2nd February 2007, 08:19 AM
Hmmm I wonder if they got enough in stock to reach back to the powerplant from my powerpoint?

SilentButDeadly
2nd February 2007, 12:22 PM
Sorry mate but I can buy sheilded power lead from either Belden or Volex at my friendly local electrical supplier for the princely sum of $3 per metre or about $30 for a fully terminated 2 metre lead....

So unless you are prepared to lend me your fancy lead so I can satisfy myself that the result is a 100 times improvement in what I currently have then you have no hope of convincing anyone....let alone me.

Wood Butcher
2nd February 2007, 12:30 PM
Reminds me of when I went to Hardly Normal to get a Firewire cable for my DV Camcorder. The bloke in the AV section showed me a cable 1.2m long that cost $120. He sprouted about how good it was and that you would get almost perfect transmission of the signal. He then told me that he had a $180 cable connecting his $100 DVD player to his stereo.

After all this I went next door to the computer section and bought an identical firewire cable for only $36. Told the above story to the computer sales bloke and he proceeded to call the AV sales guy and tell him off for being such a wank.

DavidG
2nd February 2007, 01:56 PM
Check out the following
:roflmao: :rofl: :lolabove: :spam4:

RobP
2nd February 2007, 04:09 PM
After all this I went next door to the computer section and bought an identical firewire cable for only $36.

I'm afraid you still got done. At my local computer shop, Beecom Technologies, a 2 M Firewire cable will cost you $6 or $8 depending on the types of connectors (4 or 6 pin) on each end.

RobP
2nd February 2007, 04:12 PM
RK Cable - rk reim. Coincidence?

Wood Butcher
2nd February 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm afraid you still got done. At my local computer shop, Beecom Technologies, a 2 M Firewire cable will cost you $6 or $8 depending on the types of connectors (4 or 6 pin) on each end.

I have a real cheap cable as well and there is a noticable difference between using the two. The cheaper cables have less strands in each wire and little or no shielding around the core.

RK Cable - rk reim. Coincidence? Probably not, but I don't think they've won over too many potential customers here anyway.

soundman
3rd February 2007, 11:35 PM
:wtf3: :banghead: HIFI marketing stupidity is still live and kicking:roflmao2: :rotfl:

I would question the legality of shielded cable for use in mains flex for connecting appliances.
In a previous version of standards it was specificaly forbiden.

Completely pointless anyway:screwy: ...... the majority of radiation from power cords is inductive...... the shield will only provide electrostatic protection.

I can not see what positive effect a shielded power cord could posibly have on a sound system.:rant: :rant:

There is no substitute for a propely designed powersupply.:ranting2:

I never cease to be amazed by the completly stupid :rofl: :pointlaugh: things people do to try and get rid of "noises" from sound systems. I've seen so many solutions that have nothing to do with and no effect on the problem. The problem is usualy simple and straight forward.:doh:

another typical piece of HIFI bull$#*T.

I buy most of the interconnect cables I dont make wholsale & I am gob smacked at the retail prices that some stores are asking.:oo:

cheers

Petebass
6th February 2007, 12:46 PM
I was involved in a rather large experiment which started at a Bass Player's forum I'm assiciated with. Someone was claiming their power cables could improve the sound of ANY piece of audio equipment. One of the forum members called the bluff in public and forced the guy into a position where he had no choice but to supply his "advanced" power cables for testing by the members of the forum. There cables were shipped from one member to another over several months and everyone got to test them whatever way they felt would reveal any of the cables claimed benefits. All testers were instructed to keep their findings quiet until everyone had finished their tests.

On a specified day, everyone posted not only their findings, but details of exactly how they tested the cables. Testing methods varied from straight blind listening tests to set-ups involving complicated testing equipment.

Guess what the results were? Not one tester was able to identify any improvement in sound whatsoever. Surprise Surprise!

People buy these things though.... I guess it's true that there's one born every minute.

Eddie Jones
6th February 2007, 02:05 PM
I think it was one of my favourite septics, WC Fields, who once said:

"It is a gentleman's sworn duty to part a sucker from his money".

soundman
7th February 2007, 12:00 AM
All you have to do is look at a few premium cabling catalogues to realiase that most customers are more interested in the "look":oo: of their cabling that the actual effectiveness.

One of my suppliers has been selling a fairly basic 1.8mm2 speaker cable for commercial install for years... a 250 metre roll costs me about $190 these days. Its a good steady product and very price competitive.

Back when it cost about $120 a roll, A bloke in townsville was selling it off the roll in his hifi shop for about $2.50 a metre. :D :2tsup: the problem is it only comes in brown or white.:C
This bloke said to the rep.... mate I could get $7 a metre for this stuff if it had a clear jacket.:o

which brings me to clear jackets...:rolleyes: ... It is my considered opinion that clear insulation on cabling is inferior.
because
You have to leave all sorts of stuff out of plastic if you want it clear things that help with its electrical propertries and durability.:(

Leave any clear jacketed speaker cable long enough and it WILL go gummy:~ and sticky :~ and contaminate the conductors that will then go green and corrode.:~ .. this is all due to the plasticisers ( and other stuff) leaching out of the plastic.:no: :no: :no:

But if you want to sell speaker cable in the HIFI market a clear jacket it is.:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

When selling HIFI accessories appearance is everything.:doh: :D :D

Dont get me started about gold plated battery terminals for car HIFI.:no: :no:

cheers