PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Jigs Even Better

mat
1st February 2007, 03:46 PM
Have a look at this new accessory. Certainly eliminates some of the problems with the Leigh jigs.

http://www.leighjigs.com/vrs.php

johnc
1st February 2007, 03:59 PM
Mat,

That looks the ducks nuts for dust control, should mean no more piles of shavings all over the place. I'll be interested to see the release price.

John

Flowboy
1st February 2007, 05:43 PM
Most excellent. Sick of walking out the shed looking like the lower half of me has terminal dandruff. At "under" US$70, it should be about A$180-ish? But Leigh have been very aggresive in their pricing lately so... here's hoping.:)

Rob.

Big Shed
1st February 2007, 06:12 PM
It may aslo make it a more attractive proposition to us Triton TRA001 owners to get a bit more support for such heavy routers.

How many people are using the Triton TRA001 with the Leigh D1600 or D4R I wonder?

Jim Carroll
1st February 2007, 07:16 PM
What they should be telling you is that you also need a very good vacumn to get all the material away.

Can you imagine a 1" hose on this, it would clog up in no time.

So $180.00 for the attatchment the another 3-4 hundred for a vacumn that will do the job.

It will be a good upgrade from the vac system they have now.

Just George
1st February 2007, 08:02 PM
Most excellent. Sick of walking out the shed looking like the lower half of me has terminal dandruff. At "under" US$70, it should be about A$180-ish? But Leigh have been very aggresive in their pricing lately so... here's hoping.:)

Rob.

If it were $70AU I'd grab one as soon as they become available. At $180AU I'll wait to see if this is actually the price.

Big Shed
1st February 2007, 08:08 PM
What they should be telling you is that you also need a very good vacumn to get all the material away.

Can you imagine a 1" hose on this, it would clog up in no time.

So $180.00 for the attatchment the another 3-4 hundred for a vacumn that will do the job.

It will be a good upgrade from the vac system they have now.

Jim, to be fair, although the actual opening appears to be 1", it then goes to a bigger hose, up to 2.5".
This is no different from the Triton RTA300 router table, and that setup works fine with my ShopVac.

ciscokid
1st February 2007, 10:39 PM
I'm sold. I won't even machine dovetails in my shop any more because of the mess. I do them in an aisle in the barn instead and then pick up all the shavings with a pitchfork. I'm just a wee bit concerned about visibility though. I like to see that router bit at all times.

Jim Carroll
2nd February 2007, 07:44 AM
This is no different from the Triton RTA300 router table, and that setup works fine with my ShopVac

This was just my observation on seeing the quote about the 1" fitting and they have the adaptor on it to 2 1/2 ". The larger fitting will be better.

In one regard if all you are doing is short boards then the amount of material removed would not be all that much and the vacs would handle that easily but if you were doing blanket boxes or such then there would be a larger amount going out the waste.

It will be interesting to see them in action.

Flowboy
2nd February 2007, 08:26 AM
I have to admit, that it still looks good to me. I can't see too much of a problem with waste removal, unless you've got one of those little Volta vacs designed for cleaning 1 sq meter of carpet in a flat.

While looking at the Leigh site, I noticed that they have released more templates for the FMT. Square ended tenons, wooden slats for windows at 45 degrees (not Microsoft) and mortises at 90 degrees from the cutting face. They look good, but I guess they're gearing up for the Domino invasion in April. Still I do like Leigh stuff and there are still times when it is more appropriate to use a full M&T.

Regards

Rob

mat
2nd February 2007, 09:12 AM
Looking at the difference between Canadian/US prices of other Leigh products vs Australian prices my guess is that this product will be around $130 Aus

Tex B
2nd February 2007, 11:25 AM
Looks like it would interfere with the router movement to me. I must be missing something.

Anyone else experimented with rigging up a vacuum hose to the dovetail jig?

Tex

Flowboy
2nd February 2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Tex,

I thought the same thing, but I'm assuming the two wire thingies clip to the back of the comb and allow the router to move back and forward, then slide when you slide the router. During routing, I guess the fingers hold it all steady.

I forgot to mention, Carbatech (Melb) have a Leigh produced ancestor to this device in stock, which probably, IMHO, works with the early 4 series and possibly the D4R, but I suspect not the 1600. That's all I know,so you'll have to call them if you want more info.

mat
2nd February 2007, 12:43 PM
Tex

The two "wire thingies" copyright flowboy are attached to a plastic piece that runs in a rail under the new device. As the router moves left or right it pushes "wire thingy" which pushes the plastic device (also attached to vacuum) to follow the action. As it (wire thingies) are open at the front end the router can move backwards and forwards without obstruction.

I assume that the new aluminium support is shaped in such a way that only the guide bush can hit it and not the spinning router bit.

Just George
2nd February 2007, 02:51 PM
Looking at the difference between Canadian/US prices of other Leigh products vs Australian prices my guess is that this product will be around $130 Aus

I'll wait until the Wood Show - Brisbane - to see how much they are or Sydney if I can make it. Hopefully they are a little cheaper at the shows. The Brisbane Show this year is in April rather than May as per usual(April 20,21 and 22).

mat
2nd February 2007, 03:04 PM
George

The website indicated availability late Spring. That means late May. Probably a bit later for Aust.

John Saxton
2nd February 2007, 10:52 PM
I'd anticipate seeing it at the Melbourne WW show in October when there, but hopefully I might add as Melbourne often seems to be the Show where they roll out new ideas etc.

I cant see why the small diameter suction outlet cannot be expanded to my 4" dust extractor with an added Gate to facilitate it thereby giving maximum suction when required.

Always look forward to "Leighs" innovative product ideas.

Cheers:)

Ambers
6th February 2007, 09:31 AM
Have a look at this new accessory. Certainly eliminates some of the problems with the Leigh jigs.

http://www.leighjigs.com/vrs.php

To MIK International - a suggestion -
No doubt the registered owners of existing units will be contacted direct and offered a deal too good to refuse when the units become available here - the heart of good marketing is servcing your existing customer. The existing customer is the cheapest you will ever get so the key is to keep them happy and coming back. Jsut imagine all the positive feed back you will get from this forum.

Just George
6th February 2007, 01:33 PM
No doubt the registered owners of existing units will be contacted direct and offered a deal too good to refuse when the units become available here - the heart of good marketing is servcing your existing customer. The existing customer is the cheapest you will ever get so the key is to keep them happy and coming back. Jsut imagine all the positive feed back you will get from this forum.

I regisitered my D1600(after having it for a while), so if this offer is made I can take it up.
Thanks...

John Saxton
6th February 2007, 01:41 PM

MIK are generally very good in getting mail-outs of brochures with new product.

Over time I've parted with a lot of money in their direction and subsequently they have rightly looked after me.I would imagine that as soon as they have info on the suction system they will mail it out.

Cheers:)

Peterl
19th June 2007, 08:13 PM
I am looking to do very small variable spaced dovetails and finger joints for the Jewellery Boxes that I have gone mad making .
I have a Gifkins Jig [ Its great ] am now looking for more flexability assuming I can afford it which do you recommend the Incra Jig or Leigh Jig can anyone help with an opinion

Thanks PeterL

Carry Pine
20th June 2007, 07:53 PM
The leigh Jig is now considerably cheaper through MIK (about $150 cheaper) but I cannot boast of personal experience. I have used the Gifkins and am happy with it but like you, find it limiting.

CP

mat
25th September 2007, 02:01 PM
VRS available at MIK by the end of this week

No affiliation yada yada