PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel finishing

BRET
10th June 2003, 03:02 PM
I am working on my first raised panel project and was wondering if I should apply a finish to the raised panel before assembly and glue up.

Sir Chiz
10th June 2003, 06:25 PM
Bret,it is much easier and neater to do before assembly.Another advantage is that you can get your finish all the way to the edge of the panel.
What can happen if the finish is applied after assembly is when the panel shrinks,the unfinished edge can show until it swells again.
If you're using plywood,don't worry about shrinkage. ;)

Phil.

jacko
10th June 2003, 09:34 PM
I have done a good number of R/Panels. I always apply the finnish at least to the edges of the panels before assembly, both for the reason above, namely shrinking won't show your "tan line" but as well it helps to prevent the adhesion of any glue that happens to sneak around the edges, stopping the RP from 'floating' as it should. I don't know if they are available in Australia, but there is a product called "space balls" that are meant to be inserted oin the rails and stiles before assembly to prevent ant "rattle' of the loose panel, while still ensuring that it can move with the seasons.
jacko