PDA

View Full Version : Can Ironbark be turned

iron bark
3rd February 2007, 11:47 AM
I am in the process of restoring an old Qualcast push type lawn mower and it needs a new turned handle and rear roller.

I have plenty of well aged, ie 20+ years western Qld ironbark and thought of using it because it will last.

I have worked with this timber a lot and made book cases and coffee tables with it - sure it is hard on tools, but if they are kept sharp then it is ok - but never tried turning it - don't have a lathe to begin with but thinking of investing in one

Would appreciate any opinions/experiences :?

Cheers,

Ned

Cliff Rogers
3rd February 2007, 11:56 AM
Can't see why not, stainless steel can be turned with the right gear & know how.

soundman
3rd February 2007, 12:07 PM
Of course it can.
You need to be prepared for a bit of regular sharpening and expect a bit of tear out, so quite a bit of sanding.

If its for a roller on a mower...... much less sanding.

cheers

RETIRED
3rd February 2007, 12:32 PM
Use gouges. This is one time when a skew is next to useless.

Being (in most cases) short grained a skew tends to "pick out" little chunks.

As Soundy said a little bit of sanding is needed but it is nice stuff to turn and some pieces come up astounding.

Keep the tools sharp.

Stuart
3rd February 2007, 05:34 PM
Perhaps - towards the dark side......

LuckyDuck
3rd February 2007, 07:52 PM
Yes it can be turned; I agree with the advice to use gouges. That's the only tool type that works really well, although I have been known to turn a handle out of ironbark entirely with a 1/4" parting off tool!

Basically, use what works -- but it can be done!
Regards

iron bark
3rd February 2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks to all for the advice - much appreciated.

Stuart - you talking ironbark as in wood or ironbark as in moi??

Going to have to get me a lathe methinks

Mr Unknown
9th February 2007, 11:18 AM
sure it can be turned, skews, gouges whatever but its hard stuff.
Ive turned some 2m long by about 200mm dia verandah posts and they came up beautiful, bloody hard jobs though.