PDA

View Full Version : Spindle turning (boring)

EF WGN
10th June 2003, 08:15 PM
G'day,
A question regarding drilling holes in wood. Everyone has seen or turned the brass head walking sticks or even keyrings. What is the best way to drill these holes, and then mount them on my lathe. My thought is to drill a hole, then push some dowel into it to fill the gap and then mount as per usual.
Is the how to do it?
Please help me out with this one.

Cheers
Matt

rsser
22nd June 2003, 07:58 AM
Hi Matt,

I haven't done this kind of thing so I'm thinking out loud.

The walking stick head ends in a short threaded stub doesn't it, and you want to screw this into the shaft?

I guess I'd turn the shaft, drill a short hole for the bolt, and then screw and epoxy the head on. You either drill through the tailstock with a hollow centre, or with a power drill and the shaft held in a vice (a brad point drill would be best).

What do others do?

Ern

EF WGN
23rd June 2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I have not done any centre boring on my lathe using a hollow centre. I guess I should try a little before too long.
The easiest way for me, that I have found to date is to drill the holes first with a dowel jig (to maintain the angle easier) the mount them on my lathe using a home made mandrel.

Once again thanks for the help. I just had no idea if what I was doing was correct or not

Cheers

Matt