PDA

View Full Version : treated marine ply

Marc
4th February 2007, 10:27 AM
I have a few questions about treated marine ply.

Can marine ply be purchased with treatment to veneer prior to manufacture or is all that is availble an after market process? If so clearly the cross penetration will not be past the fist layer of glue.

Also, if CCA is used what are the risks of using this product in the boat building process and later if you are living on the boat?

After manufacture, treatement with CCA would need re-drying. Does the manufacturer do this?

Is epoxi gluing coating affected by the use of treatment?

Is treatment necessary?

scottyk
4th February 2007, 10:51 AM
My experiance with CCA marine ply was that it was treated all the way through prior to it being laminated together.
As far as building boats with it I really dont know, I havent heard of it being used for this. When I used it we ordered for a specific job in the Navy and we had some dramas finding it.
Thats all I can offer.
Scotty

bitingmidge
4th February 2007, 09:21 PM
Marc,

With a properly sealed timber structure (preferably epoxy encapsulated) treatment is simply unnecessary.

Water should never penetrate the raw timber.

Cheers,

P

Marc
5th February 2007, 04:52 PM
I ask because some people I spoke to, told me they had to use it for fear of borer in sea water and termites.

Now my experience with boats is not in Australia and limited to wooden plank boats made of Brazilian Cedar, Lapacho frames and in fresh water, so no borers or termites but plenty of rot. Not even yearly inspections and repainting would keep rot at bay.

Conceded no epoxy either and the paint quality was a bit of a joke those days. I use to improve on caulking putty, mixing the ordinary glazier putty everyone else used (chalk and linseed oil) with paint to make it a bit stronger. I also used to soak the caulk cotton in paint to stop it from rotting but it was a mess to use and you had to tap it in more carefully.

So...
There is really no need for treatment?
PS
I found this
http://www.australply.com.au/pr_marine.html
http://www.cmilc.com/engineering/timberguardpages/servicelife.htm

TommyC
5th February 2007, 07:02 PM
Far as i know, which aint too much, granted, the thing that distinguishes marine ply from other plywood is the waterproof glue used to laminate the layers together and the absence of voids in any of the layers. In any case, you will need to protect the TIMBER with some form of coating to stop it from rotting when exposed to moisture.

Boatmik
6th February 2007, 07:10 PM
I've never heard of anyone using treated ply for boats.

I'm pretty aware of most things that are happening. So I think you are heading up the garden path.

Of course when you create sawdust the toxic component gets in the air too.

There are two main ways of preventing rot.

Traditional - ensure good ventilation throughout the boat. With all areas painted or varnished appropriately.

Modern - epoxy coating.

Marine ply uses the same glue as exterior ply and aircraft ply - but has fewer defects in the veneers than exterior and more than aircraft.

MIK

Wheat
1st June 2008, 09:32 PM
Ive tried gluing CCA treated timber and it is not very succesfull. If necessary use naturally rot resistant timbers and standard good quality marine ply. I used a product called everdure. and it was great. Also with cca treated timber there is a reason why they are pulling it out of playgrounds. Awfull stuff.
Goodluck
Wheat
:C

b.o.a.t.
2nd June 2008, 02:34 AM
I've never heard of anyone using treated ply for boats.
MIK

In the last couple of AABBs, Dr. Bruce(?) has been advertising treated pine ply with at least BS1088 & possibly to A/NZS marine ply standard.

cheers