PDA

View Full Version : First segmented pen

ciscokid
5th February 2007, 09:41 AM
I thought I would try one of these. I glued a thin piece of maple between two larger pieces of kingwood. About 150 mm long altogether. After removing the clamps, I just set my mitre gauge to 30 degrees and slice off blanks. Square up the ends and I'm all ready to drill.
The segmented pen is an Americana kit. Next time I'll try for less curves. The other kit is an El Grande made from Goncalo Alves.

DJ’s Timber
5th February 2007, 10:21 AM
Nice job, agree that the seg pen could be less curvy

Jude A
5th February 2007, 12:33 PM
No I do not agree on the less curvy I like it. I think what takes away from the eye is the high wood figure and the plane inlay/segment/ all in all ya did a good job. Nice fit also

PenTurner
5th February 2007, 12:58 PM
I like the pens, as for the curves, I think if it wasn't segmented it would look better with curves, however the segmenting may have been enough to show up the pen without curves. Amos

ss_11000
5th February 2007, 07:55 PM
top job mate. as to the curves, i rekon it looks good with the lid on but with the lid off, i think a strait barrel would have looked better....but its still cool:2tsup:

rodent
8th February 2007, 12:11 AM
leave the top less curved on the bottom just right .BUT then its all in the eye of the beholder.