PDA

View Full Version : Fmt-universal Discussion Thread

jahman
5th February 2007, 11:25 AM
i have created this thread for the purpose of advancing knowledge of the Leigh FMT;have purchased and am waiting on delivery;an unusual purchase for me,as i have been trained in a traditional joinery shop on a 3 ph tennon machine;chain and chisel morticers;i am doing mainly very fine work now so it suits;
so anybody with anything to share or ask i would appreciate your input and participation

Flowboy
5th February 2007, 06:34 PM
Hi Jahman,
I'll put m'self in here as well. I have a Leigh FMT Metric, which I've used some. I also have a Domino.

Regards,

Rob

Greg Q
5th February 2007, 08:24 PM
Hi Flowboy...

Have you used your FMT since you bought the Domino? I have a slot morticer attachment on my combination machine, but I expect that it won't get used much once I buy a Domino. I almost bought an FMT a couple of years ago-I think it looks like a great jig.

Regards

Greg

Flowboy
6th February 2007, 08:41 AM
Hi Greg,
Sorry to be so long getting back to you.
Short answer is yes, I do and I love it. Precision and ease of use 4+.
The two threads below, while they get a bit side tracked will give you a good idea of my and others opinions of the Domino and FMT and how they work together. The FMT now has available a template for square ended mortices, which would be useful in through tenons and some other applications. It also has a template for making mortises at 45 degrees for louvre windows.:? Maybe their trying to hit the Hawaiian and Florida markets.:U

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=37595

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=40246.

Regards,

Rob

I'm happy to discuss any issues you wish regarding the Domino, but under the Festool forum only I think.

Flowboy
7th February 2007, 11:14 AM
Hi Jahman,

I've had some time to think( always dangerous) and I'd really like to hear what you plan for the FMT (also did you buy a metric or imperial template set?).
I've been thinking that I'd like to do some work on smaller thicknesses and lengths of timber. I have visions of creating an octagonal box, using tenons cut at 22 degrees. I've also had an idea of how to put a lid together for it, but it escapes me for the moment. But I'd really like to hear your plans?

Regards,

Rob