PDA

View Full Version : Resource Books on Guitar Making

myguitar
5th February 2007, 02:36 PM
Happy New Year!

What are the best books you have found to research Guitar Making?

I know the Guitarmaking:Tradition and Technology is the bible.

Would love your feedback.

Fiona

P.S. My small bodied accoustic is sounding very beautiful. Its fuller and rounder. Very playable and the timbers are magic with now nearly 1 year of age on her.

kiwigeo
5th February 2007, 06:43 PM
Campiano and co the best one for beginners but you should check out Campiano's website before attacking your first piece of tonewood...he's changed his thoughts in a few areas (eg. steel string neck/body joints).

There are alot of books around on the subject and most of them excel in some areas of construction but are lacking in others. Give me a few days and I'll dredge through my library and colate a list of the books I most refer to.

Cheers Martin

myguitar
6th February 2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks Martin,

I guess you are back on land.

Look forward to your input.

Fiona

kiwigeo
6th February 2007, 01:35 PM
Body is back on land but mind is very much still at sea. I just goofed up cutting some tuning machine slots on a classical headstock. Another neck into the scrap bin.

No more guitar building today...going to do some digging for a few hours :((.

myguitar
6th February 2007, 03:31 PM
Ouch,

I remember being petrified of the drill the first time I cut into my headstock. Its a pity that the cutting is done so late in the creation, hence design on the headstock is done and vaneer is on.

But all worked well. She singing like a bird.

By the way the 7.30 report went to air over christmas.

Great doco on the timber. Am looking at getting copies via chris's web site or on utube or something to show those who missed it.

7 1/2 minutes in length.

Cheers

Malibu
6th February 2007, 03:55 PM
Another neck into the scrap bin.
No more guitar building today...going to do some digging for a few hours :((.

Ouch is right! :((
Couldn't you plug the slots, lay veneer on the face and re-route them? It seems a shame to toss it... :(

A bad day at guitar building has gotta be better than any day of digging! :)

kiwigeo
6th February 2007, 06:01 PM
Quicker to knock up a new neck..Im getting good at it now.

rockola
6th February 2007, 06:33 PM
What are the best books you have found to research Guitar Making?Electrics: Melvyn Hiscock, "Build Your Own Electric Guitar", runner-up Martin Koch's book "Building Electric Guitars"
Archtops: Bob Benedetto, "Making an Archtop Guitar" (haven't made one yet, but it's a great book anyway)

zenobia
6th February 2007, 06:44 PM
What are the best books you have found to research Guitar Making?

Hi, I have heaps of books but the one that really set it out so I could visualise the whole process was Kinkead, Build your own guitar. Once I read and digested that the other books like Campiano and internet forums with a lot of detail made more sense. And Kinkead has full size plans based on an OM Martin and steps through the whole process from building a mold to finishing. I am approaching the end of my first acoustic build using this these plans and Kinkeads outside mold approach.
Hope this helps
Dom

old_picker
6th February 2007, 08:28 PM
Any body had "Electric Guitar Construction" by Tom Hirst?

I found a ffew hazy areas in hiscock re electric type neck and trussrod stuff.
I like benedetto's book lots but i am a way off them sorta skills right now. His neck is pretty nice an I might take some ideas off it.

Malibu
6th February 2007, 08:42 PM
I like benedetto's book lots but i am a way off them sorta skills right now.

Nah, give it a go Ray!
Right through my archtop building, I'm looking at stuff wondering if and how I could do it... Once I get each small part done and look back on it, it didn't seem so hard after all.
I recommend you try it because it's one enjoyable project to tackle! :2tsup:

bricks
6th February 2007, 08:55 PM
Havnt got any books, just go on sites like theese,
where else can you get close up photos, step by steps and a chance to talk to the actual builder??
Without paying 3 grand???
Without having to take time off work???

Plus you get to see all different ways to do things!
And get the inside tips?

kiwigeo
6th February 2007, 10:06 PM
Bricks,

You can pick up a huge amount from books and websites but IMO nothing beats a few weeks working with an experienced luthier as a teacher. It costs a bit of loot but there's stuff youll pick up which isn't in any books or on any websites and youll also bypass having to learn some things by bitter trial and error.

Cheers Martin

old_picker
7th February 2007, 07:49 AM
and youll also bypass having to learn some things by bitter trial and error.

Cheers Martin

Thsoe lessons teach things never forgot :((

kiwigeo
7th February 2007, 11:37 AM
Ive got countless books, mags and photocopied articles on guitar building. Heres the books I most often refer to:

Kinkead, J. 2004. Build Your own Acoustic Guitar. Quatro Publishing.

- Bought this last week in Darwin of all places. Still reading it and evaluating. Looks like a well illustrated work and it keeps things simple.

Courtnall, R. 1993. making Master Guitars. Robert Hide Ltd.

- For classical guitars only. Has a good section on the major builders and then goes into detail on building a classical. Some people say his techniques are a bit amateurish..I dont agree.

Williams, J. 1986. A Guitar Makers Manual. Guitarcraft.

- Written by an Australian. Builds steel strings using the Spanish Method. A good place to start IMO.....no neck/body joint to deal with. The course run by Paddy Burgin and Dave Freeman over in NZ is based largely on this text.

Jahnek, F. 1965. Manual of Guitar Technology. The Bold Strummer.

- more of a reference text for anything to do with guitars. has good sections on physical properties of wood. strings etc.

Sloane, I. 1990. Steel String Guitar Construction. The Bold Strummer.

- A few years back this was one of the few guitar building texts available along with Sloanes book on building classicals. Takes a very low tech approach to building.

Sloane, I. 1989. Classic Guitar Construction. The Bold Strummer.

- Companion book to previous text. Again a low tech approach is taken to building. Some good sections on making your own hand tools.

In addition to the above books I frequently refer to the GAL Big Red Books....volumes 1 through 4 available. A gold mine of information on guitar building and compulsory buying for any serious luthier.

Oh yeah....nearly forgot the book I most often have open on the bench...Campiano and Co.

Cheers Martin

myguitar
7th February 2007, 01:22 PM
Martin,

You are very well researched!

How many guitar have you made?

Thanks so much for the list. Campiano scares me off, but others have said J. Williams is a good start then campiano and internet updates on the book is the next best place.

Of course there is no better place to learn than thru good old fashion work.

Thanks muchly.

Fiona

P.s. Any course can be good if you haven't had the inclination to start on you own. I'm pretty amazed that a fair few of you have never done courses. Quite an incredable feat really!

kiwigeo
7th February 2007, 02:32 PM
How many guitars have I made?

One fully finished steel string being played by some muso friends (theyre reluctant to give it back), one classical which has had strings on it - currently getting a French polish, one more classical at early stages of construction and a steel string with a finished body but yet to have neck fitted.

Dont get much time away from work of late so work sessions in the workshop are erratic and not prolonged.

Cheers Martin

Phil Mailloux
8th February 2007, 10:35 AM
There's one book I love that you never see mentioned anywhere.

Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player repair Guide" it'll teach you everything the other books don't. Best part is you can reserve a copy at your local library.

Malibu
8th February 2007, 04:01 PM
A memory cell has just jolted clear and I've scrounged around for a book I bought many years ago (in 1982 I think) called "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer.
Covers basics right through the guitar from great players (back to Django Reinhardt and Charlie Christian) to guitar development over the years with a brief history on Fender and Gibson.
Basic anatomy of the guitar is covered, as is wiring pickups, finishing, customising and etc... It even covers amplifier fundamentals, effects and stage work.
A lot of the book deals with chord progressions, rhythms and general music for the guitar. The last chapter is a pictorial chord dictionary in all keys.
A great book from what I remember that I think I'll re-read again!:)

old_picker
8th February 2007, 04:18 PM
There's one book I love that you never see mentioned anywhere.

Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player repair Guide" it'll teach you everything the other books don't. Best part is you can reserve a copy at your local library.

Thats a great book. Its got loads of stuff you never seen in hisckock or the others...

myguitar
9th February 2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback... will go looking for them.

Fiona :2tsup: