PDA

View Full Version : Where to get this boat built.

JSH53
5th February 2007, 04:44 PM
I know this is a do it yourself site,but I don't know were to go to find a boat builder in NSW.

You guys seem to know what you are talking about,so I am asking you do you know of anyone who can build me this boat.

Now the hard part.

The boat is an SURF SCOTER, it was on a site in America they tell me I can buy the plans to it.

So here is the the problem I can't build it? who can.?

T did try to send a photo of it hope it works if not i will try again.

John H

Wild Dingo
5th February 2007, 07:24 PM
Gidday John
I guess I will have to ask the big question... why cant you build it yourself?

As Arch's site states its a desing for the home builder

the 22 footer
http://www.devlinboat.com/surfscoter.gif

From all Ive seen and heard Arch Devlins plans leave nothing to chance and are as detailed as any and more than some

Which are you going for the 22 or the 25fter?

25footer
http://www.devlinboat.com/ss25profile.gif

Honestly mate Im curious why you wouldnt have a go at building it yourself... none of my business of course but still

Ive liked the 22fter for some time now... but just cant seem to break free from the sail fetish :B
http://www.devlinboat.com/surfscoter1.jpg

Big chunck of boat the 25 isnt it! :2tsup:

http://www.devlinboat.com/homebuiltmcbrayer4.jpg

Cheers!

PS.. I actually like godzilla more :p

Marc
6th February 2007, 10:02 AM
Oh comon, give the guy a break, there are a number of very good reasons a person may not be able to build his own boat.
I would start ringing up some of this people.
Good luck, I do like your trawler, but I like the Jolly Roger more hehe.

http://www.sunmarineservices.com.au/services/shipwrights.cfm
http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-8/images8/wl67-jrg-simpson6.jpg

bitingmidge
6th February 2007, 10:09 AM
There are a few people round offering small boat building services, you'd certainly have to be quite careful if you were to subcontract to a one-man band, and it could well prove to be a false economy.

Why not contact Ted at Duck flat wooden boats (http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/) in SA, they build boats of that size all the time, and understand the costs involved.

Don't hire anyone unless you can speak to a couple of happy customers, and DON'T make your decision based on an advertisement or magazine article!

Cheers,

P
:D

JSH53
6th February 2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks to eveyone who responed,the only reason i don't built it my self is i will be carry my family on it and as i can't hammer a nail in straight i would hate to see how it would come out.

This boat came about due to the love of classic boats and the water and i am only feeling my way into it,i could just see myself in that boat or am i just dreaming.

I was even thinking of buying an old restored half cabin but don't know where to look,i was just surfing the net when that one came up and i said that for me,the 22footer is the one i like the most.

Dreamer john

Daddles
6th February 2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks to eveyone who responed,the only reason i don't built it my self is i will be carry my family on it and as i can't hammer a nail in straight i would hate to see how it would come out.

But you'd trust the work of someone else who can't drive a nail in straight? :rolleyes:

Boats ain't that hard to build mate, but yeah, this is a biggish project for a novice.

Richard

Marc
7th February 2007, 04:49 PM
I think that the major consideration for giving the project to do to a professional is simply time and money.

From the little I have gathered so far, the difference between do it yourself and get it done is abysmal.
I have been quoted (informally) from 1000% and up to 2500% the cost of my own estimate of do it yourself for a 30" displacement hull. Of course I can be wrong by say 50%? 100%? ...still plenty of margin. ( yes, ten times up to 25 times my estimate, buys a few bottles of champagne)

Major limitations I see for do it yourself is time and the looming chance of getting discouraged.
Cost of the project I would think that I want to cap the cost, up to the value of the finished product in the market.
If that is not possible, it would be just as good to go and find something ready made....or do it yourself.:U
I wonder the cost of shipping a trawler like that from the states? (I bought a 4WD with 40,000Km on e-bay in Japan. Some difficulties but saved about 15k)

bitingmidge
7th February 2007, 05:13 PM
Marc,

There are usually very good reasons for the variation in price, and they usually hinge around who has quoted correctly. The highest price is ALWAYS closest to what it will cost you.

I've never seen a boat finish within 2500% of it's owner's estimate!:rolleyes:

The reason I suggested Duck Flat is that from what I've seen, those guys seem to have a good feel for the balance between "perfect" and "affordable". Many think that affordable means cutting corners, or that perfect is a licence to work at an hourly rate till retirement.

Cheers,

P

Marc
7th February 2007, 05:19 PM
I've never seen a boat finish within 2500% of it's owner's estimate!:rolleyes:

Ha ha, you are probably right !:doh:

Daddles
7th February 2007, 05:31 PM
If you pay a professional, he will want to finish the job to get it out of his workshop and will want you to pay him promptly - that's why the apprentice turns up baseball bats in his spare time :wink: You will hit the water earlier ... but you'll be very good friends with your credit card (if not the bank).

If you build the thing yourself, you progress at YOUR pace and you don't have to find the money until it's needed. If you can't afford yet another pot of glue this week, the project can wait until your next pay. Sure, this stretches things out but it does mean that while you may spend far more than you expected (what's this 'may' word :?), you can control the rate at which the money flows out of your pocket. There is no way I can afford to build boats, but by 'finding' the money, they get built ... eventually.

Richard

then there is the 'midge' theory of Eureka canoes:o

bitingmidge
7th February 2007, 09:48 PM
then there is the 'midge' theory of Eureka canoes:o
Just you wait.

Once I have the dust collection hooked up.....

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Boatmik
9th February 2007, 02:36 AM
One good compromise can be to get the hull built and then take over the rest.

There is more work in the interior than people expect and it is the area where it is usually harder to get into strife.

I would get some quotes from round the place.

Have you spoken to James Frescheville on the Gippsland Lakes, Ian Smith in Sydney to either quote or see who they suggest.

I know those guys and know their work - but it won't be cheap if that is what you are expecting.

Often these days you are likely to see an estimate and progressive payments through the job too.

It is pretty hard to quote even if you have built something similar before - and I think you would be searching far and wide to find someone who has built some Devlins before.

(by the way I think they are really good boats - just not that popular in Australia)

Is the boat close to or under 8ft in width - then it might be possible to get Devlin to build one and bring it over here in a container. If anyone knows how to put them together efficiently he probably does.

After all it is "Devlin Designing Boatbuilders"

Michael

JSH53
9th February 2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all that info i will put it to some good use.

john

boatchippy
9th February 2007, 10:45 PM
I know some excellent 'trade qualified' boatbuilders in Sydney who could build that boat. Highly experienced in timber construction.
If you'd like to p.m or email I can give you some details.

Also try contacting Ship and Boatbuilding Association of NSW. They are part of the B.I.A. ( Boating Industry Association)

Cheers

Boatmik
11th February 2007, 08:24 AM
Hi All,

I've been out of touch for a couple of days but thought of this ...

One important thing is to find someone who understands and appreciates the building method as it is.

It is a sortof stitch and glue method with a very simple internal structure - mostly ply with relatively little real wood.

Someone who is not sympathetic to the way Devlin designs boats will be tempted to add structure - which will add cost. And they will swear blind that they are doing the right thing and the boat NEEDS the extra bits.

But Devlin knows what he is doing very well.

So find someone who looks at the plans and doesn't want to change much. That goes for the owner too if he wants the boat built for something like the estimate :-)

MIK

pawnhead
11th February 2007, 09:55 AM
Dreamer johnWell if you're just a dreamer and you have no experience of boats or boat building, then I'd recommend that you search for a second hand boat that someone else has already lost a packet of money on after he's sailed it out of the showroom.

You may get bored with it very quickly, and there's a good chance (if you shop around for a while and look for a bargain) that you'll get your money back and you may even make a profit when you sell it . There's no waiting around to get on the water either.

One thing is for sure. You'll lose a lot of money if you get a boat built and you get bored after the first few times you go out on it. Someone else will be taking advantage of you when they buy it off you then.

Daddles
11th February 2007, 10:34 AM
Not such a silly idea actually. A mate who is a life long sailor, decided it was time to get his family into boats. The missus was keen. The kids were keen. He saw the opportunity to take up boat building among his other obsessions (he's worse than me). But everyone was really keen, so they bought a fibreglass, eighteen footer, just to get them onto the water while he got stuck into building things in the background. As it turned out, after giving it a very good go, his wife finally had to admit that she didn't like it, something she hadn't expected (can't handle the boat heeling over). So his boat building is now directed more towards boats for him and his sons to hoon about on and while he hasn't sold the big yacht yet, is pretty sure he'll get his money back when he does.

The right reason to build a boat is NOT that you want to have that boat, the right reason is that you want to build something ... and let's face it, if you're going to have a love affair with a project, boats are a good choice.

Richard

pawnhead
11th February 2007, 10:44 AM
The right reason to build a boat is NOT that you want to have that boat, the right reason is that you want to build something ... and let's face it, if you're going to have a love affair with a project, boats are a good choice.

RichardExactly.

I can't help but admire all the projects that are displayed in these forums. You guys have some awesome skills and a lot of patience, but I can't help but think that when you finish a project and have it on the water, then go home to an empty shed, you may have an empty feeling inside and want to fill the shed up with yet another project.

Good on you. :2tsup:

Boatmik
11th February 2007, 11:50 PM

Richard

Nah - there are as many different reasons as there are psyches.

Even the half built ones are fulfilling a purpose.

And there are plenty of people who don't particularly like building (like me) who find it a great means to get a particular boat or idea or set of ideas on the water.

And don't forget the people who get an old boat take it to bits, put it back together halfway, take it apart again, put it together with some improvement of their own etc etc etc.

If you think you can have fun either with the building or the end use ... go ahead.

MIK

JSH53
13th February 2007, 04:59 PM
Again thanks to all that responded,I just have to make up my mind [new,old or an old one thats new] I do like the idea of an new old one as someone has done all the hard work and it should be a bit cheaper.

Again thanks a lot.

john

paul hancock
15th May 2008, 12:41 PM
john h are you still interested in the surf scooter i have one built in 1991 in south australia and i wish to sell thanks paul