PDA

View Full Version : vase tool with tungsten carbide tip mk2

hughie
6th February 2007, 09:36 AM
This one is some what larger in capacity and heavier than the previous. The steel bar is high tensile with a swivel cutter head.

Main bar is 20mm dia, [.787"] support bar 14mm dia [ .550"] with a reach of 355mm [14"]
Gap between support and main bar 120mm [5"]

The cutter is heavier and as before silver soldered to a mild steel base. I have increased the top rake to around 4' or so. If this proves to be a problem I can grind it back some.

The reason for all this tool work is I have been given about 4m [12' +] of hardwood power pole around 250mm dia [10"] and thirty years old or so. It is sound, but a bit hard......
:o:C:U hence the need for tungsten carbide tip tools. Plus the fact I am sort of between sheds and so cant do much, if any turning.

TTIT
6th February 2007, 12:01 PM
Lean, mean 'n mighty unclean!:2tsup: Savage lookin' bit of gear Hughie. Have you been able to actually test it yet? If not, send it up here and I'll give it a run for ya'.:;

Attached a pic of the new Oland's I made from your stainless (or silver - not sure which?!?!) . Thought it was about time I had a better looking, bigger one with the Stubby. Rose mahogany handles - a bit long overall but better than too short like the old one. Straight one is 14mm shaft and the swan-neck is 13mm. I was surprised how well that stuff bent with a bit of heat too.

bobsreturn2003
6th February 2007, 05:01 PM
boy you are going to need wrists of steel to hollow out old light posts. even with t/c tips .watch out for metal . used to fire my lucas saw blades off when you hit some . cheers bob

hughie
7th February 2007, 10:36 AM
Vern,

send it up here and I'll give it a run for ya'.:;

No worries, cos I am between sheds so to speak it aint gonna get a heap of work. But I am looking at fitting a laser to it, during this down time.

Nice looking tools. yep they will bend with heat just fine. What you will find is that where you have bent it, it will be softer than the rest. It should not be a problem though.

boy you are going to need wrists of steel to hollow out old light posts.

Bob, yeah :U it occurred to me as well, but it looks a fine bit of timber...glutton for punishment..... and its free............
could not help my self......... :weeping:

Gil Jones
7th February 2007, 04:38 PM
Fine looking tool, Hughie.

rodent
7th February 2007, 11:54 PM
What are we getting into hear MONSTER TOOLS ,or chewem up spit em out tools .