PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Timber Undervalued

thumbsucker
6th February 2007, 03:54 PM
This post has come from a thread on finding grey ironbark (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=44279). From which I became aware of timbers that are not sold widely through the usual commercial channels. These timber species are native or grow extensively in Victoria. Thanks to some PM I became aware of Bovalino Fine Furniture & Timbers - 38 Albert Street Maryborough Victoria 3465 Australia (http://www.bfft.com.au/furniture_timber.htm) who stock:

Sugar Gum (eucalyptus cladocalyx)
Red Ironbark (eucalyptus tricarpa)
Yellow Gum (eucalyptus leucoxylon)
River Red Gum (eucalyptus camaldulensis)
Grey Box (eucalyptus microcarpa)
Yellow Box (eucalyptus melliodora)
Red Box (eucalyptus polyanthemos)
Silky Oak (grevillea robusta)

Of particular interest is the Sugar Gum (eucalyptus cladocalyx) and the Grey Box (eucalyptus microcarpa). The birds eye varieties are most beautiful. Sugar Gum is also very successful Plantation timber with a huge growth potential as a furniture and and renewable firewood timber.

Regrettable Maryborough is past Ballarat and as city dweller with no car, it impossible to get to.

I managed to find smartimbers (http://www.smartimbers.com.au/) whose site states - Many farmers and small-scale landholders are growing a wide range of wonderful native trees and local species that are unknown and unappreciated. In central Victoria, farm foresters have combined to set up a co-operative SMARTimbers,which stands for Sustainable Managed Australian Regional Timbers. The co-operative will market small quantities of their unique eucalypts and wattles, casuarinas or cypress, for high quality furniture or appearance products.

However again Smartimbers are in Ballarat. They also only seems to deal with Panelling/Cladding, Flooring, and Decking. Interestingly, they over air dried timber and even green timber. Prices are under $10 a lm for select grade. I have sent email for further details.

Other timbers of Victorian origin is Southern Mahogany and Stringy Yellow Bark. However again the only supplier found was Radial Timber in Dandenong (http://www.radialtimber.com/)

I have however not been able to find a supplier of Victorian Timbers, inside of Melbourne. Mathews Timber, Mountain Timbers, both say that its impossible to find.

I am therefore hoping that someone can point me in the direction of someone who shares my interest in Victorian Timbers and can supply these timber for me. Can anyone give a justification as to why Victorian Timber are Undervalued? I was reading that their is going to be an attempt to sell Sugar Gum, as Murray Teak, however personally teak is a bland boring timber, and does no justice to the Sugar Gum's character, or even indicate the appearance of the golden yellow satin finished timber like Sugar Gum.

Lets not even start about Tasmanian Oak. I has not even the slightest inkling of an oak.

Why is it that Australian timbers must change their name in an attempt to somehow be categories to what European's or American's value names like Oak's, Ash, Maple, and Teak etc etc? Are Australian's still children of their norther ancestors?

The reason for my interested in local timber is because of Krenov (I can hear the :roll: :roll: :roll: ), in his younger days Krenov used to hunt for exotic timbers, the last tree of its kind of timber. However Krenov realized that all timber had a story and the furniture maker must find that story. Therefore he now uses only a limited number of local species from his local forests. How dark would the world be if all we ever used was the exotic. Or maybe I am just showing some local pride.

dadpad
7th February 2007, 08:12 PM
Most of the trees you mention are difficult to grow straight enough for timber supply. Thats the main reason you cant find them. even cutting 2.5 m short logs is difficult.
This situation is being addressed currently by selction trials and plantation production.

I have today worked in a plantation with sugar gum, red box, southern mahogany and yellow box as well as more recognised timbers such as sydney blue gum, shining gum and spotted gum.
We are considering cutting our losses and removing the Box trees and replacing them with recognised timber trees.

I have seen some good straight redbox in Western district shelerbelts that are being managed for timber.

One of the major problems is that all the "good" trees were harvested and what we have left to select seed from is non apically dominant and genetically programmed to produce bent trees. so select seed source grow on 10 years, reselect better form families. sow and grow, learning about nutrition and trace requirements. lots of guess and check, then wait 40 years to harvest.

If you cant buy it then perhaps you should plant some.

Rest assured there are people out there who recognise the value of the timbers you speak of and are addressing the need.
Yellow stringy and red box are target species.

It wont happen overnight but it will happen

thumbsucker
7th February 2007, 10:29 PM
Rest assured there are people out there who recognise the value of the timbers you speak of and are addressing the need.

Dadpad, thank you very much for your information, :2tsup: it has clarified for me the reason for the lack of these timbers commercially. I am however glad to see that other share my interest and are willing to explore the commercial value of these trees.

I can appreciate your situation in finding decent commercial breading stock.

I think however that 2.5 meters logs are still more then suitable for most purposes. I think it may be worth going to Ballarat and seeing what is on offer, still.

Flowboy
8th February 2007, 10:45 AM
Hi Thumbsucker,

If you haven't already, try these guys. They sell a number of species, including Ironbark, Sugar Gum, Peppercorn and a number of salvaged timbers. They are in Warburton.
http://www.bowerbirdtimber.com/species.htm

Good luck,

Rob

Ravi
9th February 2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Thumbsucker,

I'd have to agree with Rob, and suggest that you give Bowerbird a go. Tim Kennedy runs the operation, and is a mine of knowledge.

All the best

Ravi

thumbsucker
9th February 2007, 11:36 AM
I have heard of bowerbird, however the distance seems a little restrictive. I may however be able to make it out that way, by catching a train to Lilydale Railway Station and then a 45 min bus ride out to them. I will be a cranky camper after that.

I think I my have a plan for how I can get the timber delivered to my place.

Ravi
10th February 2007, 04:23 PM
Tim uses a very reliable and inexpensive courier, so that's always a good option. I've used them to deliver to the Macedon Ranges before now, and was more than happy with the service... might need a fork at your end though, unless you want to be charged an hourly rate for unloading.

WillBrook
3rd March 2007, 09:37 AM
Maybe I can help you. my wife and I have just started up an on site sawmilling service in central Victoria (Box ironbark region). We got sick of seeing huge old logs being pushed into piles and burnt by uneducated farmers. We bought an Model 8 Lucas and began milling these beautiful old logs. Species include red, yellow and grey box, redgum, river sheoak and messmate stringybark. The result? Some beautifully figured timber. Some of these trees had been on the ground for over 10 years.
We have shared your frustration with peoples perception of these species, especially when it comes to trying to market the timber.
I currently have some beautifully figured slabs of greybox undercover in my paddock so if you are interested, maybe I can help. I travel through Melbourne on a fortnightly basis and have a trailer and ute.