PDA

View Full Version : Calling old salts

Shedhand
7th February 2007, 12:05 AM
Any old salts here tell me what "double diagonal Huon Pine dynalled hull" is/means? Is it good?

Daddles
7th February 2007, 12:43 AM
Two layers of huon pine, strip planked with each layer angled across the other, then the whole thing sheathed with dynal :D

That's only a guess by the way. Anyone who knows what it is like to inform us both?

Richard

Dan
7th February 2007, 12:54 AM
Dunno, but for $11500, "tell him he's dreamin'.:)

Shedhand
7th February 2007, 03:55 PM
This is her (http://boatsalestas.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=1972195&TabID=94316&Alias=boatsalestasau). I'm thinking of it as a place to live (my marriage is over and I'm moving out soon :( ) at a permanent mooring and the odd chug around the bay. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Finally got a shed after waiting 35 years and I've had it less than 1 year and I gotta move out....:(

pawnhead
7th February 2007, 04:07 PM
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Life takes all sorts of turns, and I've been where you are.

Look forward to new opportunities, and plan for a better life.

And buy yourself a boat. :wink:

Bleedin Thumb
7th February 2007, 04:40 PM
Looks good find out if you are allowed to live aboard at the mooring. PM me if you want to get a marine inspection done on her - I have a mate etc etc.

cjm_22sq
7th February 2007, 04:52 PM
Really sorry to hear abput the end of your marriage - been there, done that, got the scars.
And of course the loss of your shed :rolleyes:
Dynel sheathing can be really good for a boat if it has been applied well in the first place. Particularly if it was applied at the time of building, rather than to patch up some failing later in life.
Some amateur jobs don't adhere to the hull well and allow water to collect between hull and sheathing. Often it is fresh water ......
Worth finding out who built the boat to see if they are likely to have done a good job.

Marc
7th February 2007, 05:04 PM
Great granddaughter? At 55?:C

Sorry just wondering, she is beautiful.

This is my granddaughter.

As for the moving out bit...don't. Get a lawyer.:2tsup:

Daddles
7th February 2007, 05:40 PM
Bummer about the divorce. Get a lawyer straight away. A good lawyer will make an amicable settlement even more amicable and equitable. If it turns nasty, you need your rights protected from day one ie, before the seperation. Believe me - I'm in court in less than a month, three years after the break up, still fighting to maintain contact with my daughter and I was the stay at home father who raised her! I stupidly believed I could negotiate a settlement but the ex wanted everything including my soul. My lawyer rarely goes to trial and with 80% of clients, only winds up in court to do essential paperwork. Mind you, my file is the largest she's got (it has it's own BOX!).

But enough of that rubbish.

You sure you want to live on a boat?

Second, could someone who knows what they are talking about please answer his original question? (as I said, I was guessing)

Richard

Bleedin Thumb
7th February 2007, 11:06 PM
Richard your guess makes perfect sense to me, but I dont know what I'm talking about either.

Shedhand
7th February 2007, 11:15 PM
Looks good find out if you are allowed to live aboard at the mooring. PM me if you want to get a marine inspection done on her - I have a mate etc etc.
I had a mate once who lived on board at a mooring. He had telephone, fax and internet as well. So in the area where I want to moor i'd be allowed I reckon. Is your mate someone local (Hobart)?
Cheers and thanks for the offer mate.

Shedhand
7th February 2007, 11:19 PM
Great granddaughter? At 55?:C

Sorry just wondering, she is beautiful.

This is my granddaughter.

As for the moving out bit...don't. Get a lawyer.:2tsup:yep - at 55 - actually 54 and 361 days. Beat my father to greatness by 4 days. He WAS 55 when I made him a great with my daughter. Mind you I started young (when young adults knew how to parent because they had good examples) and got it over with quickly. Now I can play with my grandkids and great grand kids with out running out of puff. I built the boys an old fashioned billy cart. they love it. I have to drag the bloody thing up the driveway a thousand times every sunday. Can't wait for them to tire of it.:- I couldn't do that if i was a 70 year old great grand father...:2tsup: PS: your little 'un is beauty too mate...well done.

Shedhand
7th February 2007, 11:21 PM
Really sorry to hear abput the end of your marriage - been there, done that, got the scars.
And of course the loss of your shed :rolleyes:
Dynel sheathing can be really good for a boat if it has been applied well in the first place. Particularly if it was applied at the time of building, rather than to patch up some failing later in life.
Some amateur jobs don't adhere to the hull well and allow water to collect between hull and sheathing. Often it is fresh water ......
Worth finding out who built the boat to see if they are likely to have done a good job.This was built in 1989 and is huon pine so the odds are it'll be in sound condition (but what the hell do I know) but will check it out thoroughly before i sign anything.:;

Marc
8th February 2007, 04:34 PM
http://boatsalestas.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=1806765&TabID=94316&Alias=boatsalestasau

After your are done get this one in stead.
Remember that if your are not ashamed of yourself for your offer, you are offering too much.
Try 15k

Shedhand
8th February 2007, 06:28 PM
http://boatsalestas.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=1806765&TabID=94316&Alias=boatsalestasau

After your are done get this one in stead.
Remember that if your are not ashamed of yourself for your offer, you are offering too much.
Try 15kThanks for the link Marc. I had a gander at the other one today. Too small to live on. Advised I need at least 30 foot to live on with any degree of comfort. Are you serious? Offer 15K? They'd laugh at me.
Cheers

Daddles
8th February 2007, 10:03 PM
I've heard the 30 foot rule too ... though like all these things, it's very dependant on the beastie involved. Mate, getting an onsite caravan would make more sense, especially in the short term ... and I'm someone who's always dreamed of living on a boat.

Richard

Boatmik
9th February 2007, 02:49 AM
Daddles was spot on.

Double diagonal was a transition building method on the way toward glued hulls but still relied on fastenings with shellac and cheesecloth between the layers

I'd suspect this one is glued though and there is unlikely to be any cheescloth involved.

The Dynel is highly abrasion resistant but doesn't add much strength to the hull structure.

Remember though the boat is almost 20 years old - about the age where problems are starting to become apparent - you need someone knowledgeable (a professional surveyor) go aboard with a screwdriver and do some poking around in any suspect places - and that is good money to spend.

A mate can probably tell you whether she is a disaster, but may not be aware of other problems if they don't have the background.

With a narrow cabin like that she might not have all that much room below once you take the donk that is possibly sitting in the middle of the cabin into account.

MIK

Marc
9th February 2007, 07:43 PM
Are you serious? Offer 15K? They'd laugh at me.

Let them laugh, I'm sure they are making a list of potential buyers and sorting them alphabetically as we speak.
Meantime you get on the list with 15K offer.when there will be no one at 30 nor 25 nor 20, perhaps 18k, (something you will concede after much thinking and with a grand gesture to pay) may just sound ok. :U
I have heard so many times real estate agents telling me they refuse to refer my ridiculous offer and then calling me to exchange contracts he he, it's all about timing. You never know if you don't try.

Shedhand
9th February 2007, 08:26 PM
Let them laugh, I'm sure they are making a list of potential buyers and sorting them alphabetically as we speak.
Meantime you get on the list with 15K offer.when there will be no one at 30 nor 25 nor 20, perhaps 18k, (something you will concede after much thinking and with a grand gesture to pay) may just sound ok. :U
I have heard so many times real estate agents telling me they refuse to refer my ridiculous offer and then calling me to exchange contracts he he, it's all about timing. You never know if you don't try.Thinking about it, you're right. I made a really stupid offer on a waterfront home once. The agent said they'd be insulted. They were alos going trough a messy divorce. I knew that cos' the agent told us. They accepted our offer. We're still laffing. So maybe I offer the 15k and work up. Good plan Agarn. :2tsup: