PDA

View Full Version : Router jig to level a bush stool

ratchet
7th February 2007, 02:17 PM
I have made a bush stool from a slab of red river gum .

The legs are two forks of spotted gum fitted to the base of the slab using holes drilled by a drill press and saw tooth bits .

The result is a fairly rustic looking long stool .

However even though the legs are about the same lenght the stool is a it rocky

I was think of laying the bench top down and passing a router over the legs to make them all the same lenght and parrallel to the slab

What sort of a jig can I make to hold a router say about 24cm from a flat surface and be able to move over each of the four legs to make it stable

Tex B
7th February 2007, 02:29 PM
If the top is flat (looks flat) you can snug the top up against the table saw fence and use the table saw to get each leg parallel and the same distance from the top, which should make for a straight, non wobbly bench.

Love the work, by the way. Great use of non standard timber.

Tex

johnc
7th February 2007, 02:30 PM
What I would suggest you do is put the stool right side up. If you put a pencil either flat on the floor (or bench or wood scrap) and use the flat surface to help register a line right around each leg you will then be able to cut along the line with a saw and the stool will sit dead flat. Much easier and quicker than a router jig and more effective. If you want to get the seat level then you might have to chock the legs up a little first to achieve the correct registration.

John

ratchet
7th February 2007, 02:36 PM
Actually it's not a stool it's what they call a

Australian version of what the Japanese call a Shogan stool or bench ,
which you use as an arm rest when you sit on the floor

I thought a picture would save a thousand words

ratchet
7th February 2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks John ,

one leg is shorter than the rest , but the height is just what I want , the leg just needs trimming to make it level

Should I put a small piece of scrap under this leg and then run the pencil around each leg .

A couple of legs will require about 2cm of trimming , how will I keep the pencil at the right distance , a piece of srap

" Thinking" , I have a thing I made back in school ( 1957 ) out of metal , a metal block with a post and an a metal scribe , Need to replace the metal scribe with a pencil or felt tipped pen

brain storming is good fun isn't it

ratchet
7th February 2007, 03:34 PM
found it in the shed

my first year metal work doover

might clean it up , in celebration , before I use it

johnc
7th February 2007, 04:05 PM
Your piece of old school work will be fine, when leveling legs on crude stuff like saw horses i've just used a bit of 19mm scrap, sat the pencil on top and drawn a quick ring. your scribe unit is a lot flasher.

John

ratchet
13th March 2007, 11:23 AM
Finished my Shogan stool

I am quitely happy with the finished product

R. McCarthy
28th April 2007, 08:01 PM
Very nice Ratchett !

RufflyRustic
29th April 2007, 10:15 AM
Another one for the sincere flattery file :2tsup: :D

arose62
29th April 2007, 10:46 AM
of water/paint/whatever. Just a shallow one, then take it out and cut off the wet bits.

The surface of the liquid is level, so makes a consistent level mark across all the legs.

In my case, I just leave something in the garage, and when it floods, I get a free leveling watermark on *everything*!!