PDA

View Full Version : mc1100 stand

beginner
7th February 2007, 10:38 PM
me dad brought a MC1100 a couple of days ago and i was wandering how succesfull the stand that come with it is? it looks a bit thin and wobbly. we have a a big home made table all braced up and bolted to the garage floor and it works fine but i just wanted to no how steady the brought one is?

cheers, Jack

Gra
7th February 2007, 10:43 PM
beginner,

Seems to work perfectly fine for me, but if you have already made a big heavy one, cart hurt to use it

fred.n
7th February 2007, 10:44 PM
Bolted mine to the floor in a corner, chucked a couple of fair sized blanks on it and it goes alright. Must admit though, I haven't done a lot of turning lately, but that should change in the next couple of months:)

rodent
7th February 2007, 11:14 PM
The stand ive got is fine its been bashed banged and knocked around several work shops all id do is cover the back and sides with some ply 9mm to stop the dust and shavings getting into every thing on the shelf.

hughie
8th February 2007, 12:11 AM
me dad brought a MC1100 a couple of days ago and i was wandering how succesfull the stand that come with it is? it looks a bit thin and wobbly. we have a a big home made table all braced up and bolted to the garage floor and it works fine but i just wanted to no how steady the brought one is?

Jack,
You will find the stand adequate until you start to turn large chunks that are out of balance.

I have loaded my tray up with a 45kg bag of cement and about another 50kgs of cast iron scrap steel etc. This has a had positive effect and the lathe is now far more stable although the tray has started to bend :~ .

However the legs are flimsy and do flex under load. Mine flexs between the tray and the lathe bed, short of stiffening them with additional steel struts I dont think theres a lot that can be done to curb this.I can swing about a 15kg lump fairly well, but the legs do flex. I use a inverter to control the rpm and find the smoothest speed and move up from there as the balance improves

With this in mind I have built a version of the Bruce Leadbetter base out of 20mm plywood and 250x75mm Oregon. It probably wieghs about 30kgs.
A bit of over kill perhaps but theres nothing worse that doing the MC1100 two step on a large chunk.

Touchwood
8th February 2007, 12:25 AM
If you are turning something that is unbalanced, you would of course slow the speed right down - this will help the lathe 'stay put', but the additional weights are a good idea. I have been known to be holding mine down with one foot just recently turning a large lump of fence post until it balanced!!!:U

You'll probably find there is the facility to dyna bolt it to the floor - good if you have settled on a shed layout.

JD

Terry B
8th February 2007, 10:59 AM
Mine seems fine. I have dynabolted it to the floor and don't have nay extra weight on it (apart from sawdust:D )

beginner
8th February 2007, 12:34 PM
thanx fort all of ur answers but i think that ill stick to our home made stand.

OGYT
8th February 2007, 02:32 PM
You might think about stickin' each leg in a 5 gal bucket (0.189 cu meter), filled with sand. Then cover the buckets with ply, makes good small shelves to hold stuff and shavin's.