PDA

View Full Version : Tis' a miracle to be sure

TTIT
9th February 2007, 02:02 PM
And the wood gods looked down upon the earth and said to the almighty, "Fair go Hughie! Let the poor bugga have a win for once mate eh!" And so, in the fullness of time, the virgin Stubby, who had not yet known a burl, gave birth to that which would become known as 'The Queensland dish'. All praise the dish! :thewave:

Well it looks a little bit like Queensland with the pointy bit one end and a square bit at the other.( Pic 1):B

But seriously folks - All pinkies, ribs and other precious pink bits still intact, no blood letting , no dents or holes in the walls and even the resin blob the size of a large dingo crap turned out of the bowl area leaving barely a trace. Someone was on my side with this one! :woot: Will make a great colander - there's really not much wood holding it all together - let's a hell of a lot of light through!:o

Thanks for the burl go to Tom (Mong) who lugged it all the way from Vic but I have no idea what wood it is. Finished with Danish oil, longest point to point is about 450mm, hollow is 180mm diameter and about 40mm deep.

Rookie
9th February 2007, 02:09 PM
TTIT that's sensational mate. Love how thin you got the edges. Bet there was a fair bit of ring tightening happening while you were turning those edges.

Looks fantastic. Should hold many cashew nuts.

RufflyRustic
9th February 2007, 02:52 PM
Wow - Sweet burl TTIT! but the result is just amazing!!

All praise the dish indeed :) :clap: :wave:

paul collins
9th February 2007, 03:06 PM
real nice work TTIT,am still tring to see qld,lol.:2tsup:

ss_11000
9th February 2007, 03:44 PM
:clap: brilliant once again mate:2tsup:

joe greiner
9th February 2007, 04:29 PM
W-w-w-wow! Took a lot of courage to even mount that beast. How much weight did you lose from sweating? Outstanding!:2tsup:

Joe

OGYT
9th February 2007, 04:37 PM
A colander it is... but a bloody bee-yoo-tiful colander!
Exceptional. You were smiled upon.

mongrell
9th February 2007, 04:46 PM
not being a turner i cant figure out how the machine didnt shake to bits with something that uneven and large .beutiful work again vern and differant to what you usually do .guess with that new machine we gonna be seein some big stuff comin off it now .that burl prolly mana gum or something similar cant remember now

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2007, 07:33 PM
Pity it's not double those dimensions; it'd make a perfect fruit bowl with all that ventilation!

Very, very nice piece of work, mate. As I'm sure you already know! :D

BernieP
9th February 2007, 07:49 PM
G'Day TTIT

Beautiful piece, usually see things like that only in books.

Cheers
Bernie

ticklingmedusa
9th February 2007, 08:05 PM
very nice indeed

Wayne Blanch
9th February 2007, 09:17 PM
That is absolutely beautiful. :2tsup:

If I tried to turn that on my poor little Delta machine I reckon that I would be chasing it down the street.
Got to start saving pennies towards something more robust.
Once again you have created a lovely bit of work and I am only a little jealous of your skill and the Stubby!:p

Twinnie
9th February 2007, 09:30 PM
good work mate, i love how the bowl just seems to be emerging from the timber. i'm going to have to have a go at that

Matt

DJ’s Timber
9th February 2007, 10:21 PM
Sensational, top effort

powderpost
9th February 2007, 10:32 PM
An exceptional work of art. How many pairs of jocks did you bite in half? :D Lovely wood brilliantly turned, well done.
Jim

Caveman
10th February 2007, 12:14 AM
Wowser - great stuff Vern - miraculous indeed - magic I'll say.

rodent
10th February 2007, 02:26 AM
On the wings of wood, it almost looks like its floating.

La truciolara
10th February 2007, 02:48 AM
For a while I could not visit the forum.
Today the first message I see is yours!
I am speechless. It is beautiful.
CONGRATULATION.
I think I'll never turn such a birl. We do not have raw material that large.
You are real lucky down under.. I might visit you one day :U

Gil Jones
10th February 2007, 06:08 AM
That piece sure is gorgeous!!:way2go:

robatman
10th February 2007, 11:06 AM
Brilliant stuff. I guess the stubby makes out of balance marginally less frightening, still must take some nerve.

how did you chuck it? i am still learning and cant figure out how you did it?
Robert

TTIT
11th February 2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments - very much appreciated :2tsup:

how did you chuck it? i am still learning and cant figure out how you did it?I started with it screwed to a standard faceplate (as in pic 1) to shape the bottom. Because there was no solid wood on the base and not wanting to lose any thickness to a tenon, I glued a waste tenon from a previous project on the base (as in pic 1 also). I sized the tenon to suit my Vicmark step jaws (90mm) and held it by that to turn the top and hollow the bowl. With the top finished, I then reversed the piece onto a waste piece shaped to roughly fit inside the bowl and held the piece in place with the live-centre to turn away the tenon and finally removed the pip left where the centre was holding it by hand. Hope that made sense :shrug:

We do not have raw material that large.
You are real lucky down under.. I might visit you one day :UThat was the baby of 3 pieces - drop in and I'll find one for ya! You would be most welcome La Truc.:U

How many pairs of jocks did you bite in half? :D Remember the old movies where the hero was tied to a conveyor heading towards a huge blade swinging back and forth over the belt! - felt (and sounded) just like that :o - was sure it was gonna clip me ear before I got done with it!:B

Rum Pig
11th February 2007, 12:57 AM
That is the sort of work that got me into this addictive hobby. I can only dream of the day that I have the guts to try something like that:2tsup:

hughie
11th February 2007, 08:16 AM
Hey Vern,

With success like that you know you've made the right choice with the Stubby.

Very impressive piece of wood turning :2tsup:

tashammer
11th February 2007, 09:27 AM
Oh Vern,

well done. it looks like flames in the first pic when its mounted on the lathe. Wooden fire.

Little Festo
11th February 2007, 10:45 AM
Great job Vern - outstanding. Top points for daring too, must have been scarey at times.

Peter

thefixer
16th February 2007, 09:16 PM
What else can I say WOW