PDA

View Full Version : my 2nd goblet.

ss_11000
9th February 2007, 06:42 PM
hey guys

i finally got round to doing my second goblet. white cedar (i think) and eee/glow finish. the tennis ball should give an approx size.

i'm not to happy with how it turned out...the bowl is way to thick for my liking. also while turning the stem, quickly go touch it up ( spindle gouge) on the grinder and (do you recall the thread in which i was discussing it last month?) the chisel got into a worse spot. so i had to revert to one of my cheap and nasty cs chisels....not happy.

also there was meant to be a captive ring, but while sanding before parting it off, it snapped, and almost cut my finger:( . i guess that was just turned too thin. another thing( ( it seems i made a lot of mistakes, but i guess its all part of learning ), the base was meant to be bigger, but again a few catches from my stuffed up chisel and yeah, i had to keep turning it down.:(

so yeah, i still havent got the transition from base to stem right either but i'm working on it.

but i guess theres a bright side to buggering up a chisel...i get to buy a new one....hamlet 3/8'':U . and the shape of the old one will be very usefull for turning some things.

any other criticisms????if so they'll be much appreciated.

cheers....

ps, the pic of the chisel doesnt really show how the chisel is buggered. its blue right around the cutting edge and is kinda pointed... its fixable but yeah, i still want/need a new one.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2007, 07:57 PM
There's nothing wrong with that thickness, Stirlo.

If anyone asks, just say that it's for quaffing mead. And we all know how overenthusiastic we get when quaffing mead, right? I mean there's naught more annoying than banging two thin-walled cups together in an drunken toast over the latest round of pillage, burning and looting, only to have them shatter like egg-shells and spill their contents down your sleeve... what a waste. :no: :no:

Here's to a good quaffing cup!

:cheers:

[singing: "Quaff, quaff, quaff, quaff, Glod!" (Sorry... damn dwarves keep sneaking in... Now where was I? Oh, yes...) "Quaff, quaff, quaff, quaff..." (I love these auld drinking songs! :D)]

Wayne Blanch
9th February 2007, 09:08 PM
Hey Stirlo,
What Skew said! (I have been known to quaff some mead but my experience with pillaging burning and looting is limited.:D )

Certainly is a nice bit of wood and the finish you have achieved is really good. Well done!:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
9th February 2007, 09:18 PM
Nice goblet Stirlo

BernieP
9th February 2007, 10:44 PM
G'Day Stirlo

Very nice goblet

Cheers
Bernie

Caveman
10th February 2007, 12:20 AM
G'day Stirlo - nice one, looks good to me - nice piece of wood too.
Have never gotten round to turning a goblet yet so your way ahead of me there.
Still practicing bowls!

TTIT
10th February 2007, 12:45 AM
Stop bein' so hard on yourself Stirlo - there's still plenty more trees left and if anyone on this forum has got enough years left in 'em to practice, it's you.!:; Not being an experienced mead quaffer myself, I'd take Skew's word for it that the goblet would suit the task fine! Good stuff lad :U

rodent
10th February 2007, 02:35 AM
A working mans goblet not for the faint of heart but for the mead of the gods . ? when we going out pillaging again skew

La truciolara
10th February 2007, 02:53 AM
For a second go at it you performed quite well.
I am not overly enthusiastic about captive rings. I think it'sfun to turn the first 10, but then...
For your thirf go, when you have your prefered gouge again, try to turn a thiner leg as well... it will dratically change the overall impression.
And don't be afraid to do it, you can, without any problem go down to 2 mm. Of course you will have to use a 3 points steady (home made, with strings of course)

Gil Jones
10th February 2007, 05:56 AM
Fine work on your goblet, Stirlo!!
Save it, and as you gain experience you will see how your abilities are growing.

OGYT
10th February 2007, 11:17 AM
Ya done good, Stirlo. Many cases, thick is good. Just ask Skew.
Beautiful timber, too. Well done, young'un. Keep at it.
Sure would like to see a steady made with strings...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th February 2007, 01:33 PM
Sure would like to see a steady made with strings...

'Tis just an ordinary steady that uses a cat's cradle of string instead of rollers. :) For really slender turning, like trembleurs, it is the way to go.

Ackershully, until I recently made my roller steady, I used string steadies for everything. :-

ss_11000
10th February 2007, 01:34 PM
thanx for the comments guys.

Gil Jones
10th February 2007, 01:50 PM
Al, look in your email for the string steady-rest file.

La truciolara
11th February 2007, 06:33 AM
Good idead Gil. I should have thought about it myself... :(

hughie
11th February 2007, 10:05 AM
Stirlo,

Dont worry too much about first efforts. We all have had em and many far worse I would venture to say.

The best part of this forum is huge experience thats freely available to all.Your every effort is always better than the last, look forward to your next project.

Rum Pig
11th February 2007, 05:14 PM
It looks good to me except for the base, if it was full of rum I would be guaranteed to knock it over<!--[if !vml]-->:doh:. As a very new beginner this may be silly question but if I do not ask I will not learn. Could you turn the base down to just a stem and then turn a new base out of something like ebony.:?:?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th February 2007, 11:03 PM
As a very new beginner this may be silly question but if I do not ask I will not learn. Could you turn the base down to just a stem and then turn a new base out of something like ebony.:?:?

Yes. I've broken some of my bases beyond repair (usually from turning too thin) and so have done exactly that for a fix. :)