PDA

View Full Version : Scroll chuck purchase

set
14th June 2003, 02:48 PM
I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance.
I am currently looking at buying a scroll chuck and have narowed it down to two, a Vicmarc VM100 or a Super Nova. As I have never owned a chuck I am finding it hard to determine which is the better chuck. The Super Nova appears to have a greater range of accessories but I have also heard good things about the Vicmarc. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Sir Stinkalot
14th June 2003, 04:33 PM
I have a super nova chuck and have found it to be very good with the limited work that i have tried. Unfortunately you have just missed out on the may special where it was selling for $140. Oh well lets just see what June brings.

q9
14th June 2003, 06:31 PM
I have a vicmarc vm120. Nearly bought a SN, but well, didn't.

Either way, it holds wood!

Wayne Davy
14th June 2003, 10:58 PM
I noticed that Gary Pye Woodturning Supplies in Qld have lots of Chucks on sale including the Vicmarc and Nova.

http://www.gpw.au.com/

John Saxton
16th June 2003, 12:10 AM
Hi, there are advocates for both which highlight the good and bad points so.......if you do a search in the woodturning forum using CHUCKS as a search string then you'll find heaps of info from turners both long in the business and those like yourself who are just crankin' up!

Both chucks have been used on lathes for quite a while now ...I use 3 nova scroll chucks only because I got them factory direct and cheap on a visit to NZ many years ago one with left hand thread insert for outboard turning, one for finishing the bottoms of bowls with Cole Jaws and one for everyday use and not having used the Vic-Mark I cannot comment on it ...but I am more than happy with the Nova from a personal perspective.

Cheers:) good luck with your choice.

q9
16th June 2003, 01:36 AM
I don't think there is much in it really, either would be a good chuck and definately better than no chuck. So my advice would be to shop around and see who gives you the best price on either.

rsser
22nd June 2003, 08:21 AM
See

http://www.gpw.au.com/

for a special on Nova chucks. Also discounts on Vicmarc. Ends June 30,

Cheers,

Ern