PDA

View Full Version : Need to cut circles, should I get Triton Router or Spin Saw?

wixy
10th February 2007, 06:27 PM
I was in Bunnings today planning to buy a Triton 1400w router in order to cut circles for mounting speaker drivers, but they were out of stock.

Then I saw this spin saw kit which comes with a circle cutting attachment.

http://www.triton.com.au/product.php?id=35

Can anyone advise if this would work adequately for my purposes, i.e. cutting circles for speaker drivers.

Would this kit also adequately allow me to rout around the edges of the circle so that I can flush mount drivers?

kiwigeo
10th February 2007, 09:27 PM
Think I'd go for the 1400 watt router. More power than the spin saw and it takes 1/2" shank cutters.

Iain
11th February 2007, 08:26 AM
It would probably work but like KG said, I would go the 1400, more grunt and less effort, more versatile for other jobs too.
I have routers from 500w to 3hp and the smaller ones are inclined to protest on anything but the finest of work.
Even cutting small rebates in pine you can feel the small ones labouring, which means of course the job is going to take longer and a greater chance of kickback.

soundman
11th February 2007, 09:12 PM
Go the router...... the spin saw looks like a "fiddle machine".

There are so many things you can do with a router.
They cut speaker holes very effectivly.
They also allow you to do all sorts of other machining and joinery that can make speakers and related projects look like someone knew what they were doing.

I knew a bloke who use a router as the only power tool to build a whole rig of speaker cabinets.
These were not little Hi fi boxes either.
He even use it to cut up all the sheets.

cheers

wixy
11th February 2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up going to a different bunnings today and bought the Triton 1400w router. Cant wait to use it!