PDA

View Full Version : 2m clear span workbench????

greenie512
10th February 2007, 09:08 PM
In the post below "Hole in the Head" nay Shed, I mention building a slightly tall work bench to span over my parked T/S. Dimensions would be approx as show below and about 1.15m high o/a.

If the T/S sit under this, there can not be any intermediate legs so I'm looking at roughly a 2m span so I thought I'd do this with a lattice of 70 x 30 mm wall studs (cheap and available at local H/W shop). Racking is also very likely but (1) this is going into the corner of the shed so I will fix two sides to the structure and (2) it's not really a workbench but an oversized shelf.

I will not be "working" on this surface but might park one or two small but heavy bits of gear like a 4 x 8" Disk/Belt sander. So thought I might? get away with a 6 mm MDF + 6 mm Masonite covering on the top of the lattice structure.

Still not sure about this - comments welcome.

Chris Parks
10th February 2007, 11:14 PM
Put 6mm MDF under it and you have a torsion box. It will never bend or move done that way. You will be able to put big loads on it with no deflection at all. I don't know if there are any advisory tables on building torsion boxes so sizing is up to the individual.

greenie512
11th February 2007, 09:18 AM
Mini - "Snap" - that was in the back of my head all the time. Then I must have lost the plot trying to be a "cheap-skate" by removing the underside layer. Thanks for reminding me what to do - I'm building a Torsion box.

Be really great if there was some form of table I could look at to check structural strength?