PDA

View Full Version : De-rusting an Unusual BBQ

pwaite
10th February 2007, 10:42 PM
During my time in Laos I acquired a cluster-bomb casing (about 5 ft long, 50kgs) for use as a wood/charcoal bbq. I had a stand made for it out of steel, and cooked many a happy meal on it (it is free from explosives). Now, this things was dropped from the heavens during the Vietnam War. Since then the rust has started to eat away at it, but its still solid. I'd like to stop the rust from completely destroying it - but also want to continue to be able to cook food on it.

Any suggestions on how I might proceed?

Cheers,

Paul

BobL
11th February 2007, 01:44 AM
During my time in Laos I acquired a cluster-bomb casing (about 5 ft long, 50kgs) for use as a wood/charcoal bbq. I had a stand made for it out of steel, and cooked many a happy meal on it (it is free from explosives). Now, this things was dropped from the heavens during the Vietnam War. Since then the rust has started to eat away at it, but its still solid. I'd like to stop the rust from completely destroying it - but also want to continue to be able to cook food on it.

Any suggestions on how I might proceed?

Cheers,

Paul

Look up rust conversion on this site to clean up the rust - there are 101 ways of doing it, and I woul then use something like potbelly (heat curing) black paint on. it.

Ausyuppy
11th February 2007, 04:57 PM
Paul,
There may be a local company where you are than can sandblast it for you. I cant imagine it would cost much. You would then need to speak to a commercial paint supplier to provide you with the correct primer, undercoat and top coat heat resistive paint.

Ive also seen discs you can buy for a 4" angle grinder which will scrub away rust. I have no idea what they are called, but they do exist.

Cheers
Steve

Bleedin Thumb
11th February 2007, 05:19 PM
How about a photo, I've never seen a Cluster Bomb Barbie.

scooter
11th February 2007, 09:13 PM
Some sort of rust converter stuff could be the go.

soundman
11th February 2007, 09:25 PM
If you have been lighting a fire in it, the best way to get the rust off it is to light another one in it.......a nice hot clean fire...... most of the rust will just fall off... the rest you should easily get off with a wire brush.

spray it up with galmet pot belly black...... dont leave ash in it and keep it clean and dry.

cheers

simso
13th February 2007, 06:19 PM
Get it sandbalsted, wont cost you more than 40 bucks, then just a good heat proof paint,

pwaite
17th February 2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've lent the thing to a mate for the time being as I've got to go to East Timor for a few months. Will get into the rust conversion on returning to Aus. Took some photos today of it in action (butterfly-ed leg of lamb (marinated in lemon, garlic, olive oil), an eye fillet, and truckload of snags) but haven't got a USB cable on me to transfer the piccies. Will do so next week.

pwaite
18th February 2007, 01:28 PM
Here are a few snaps of the bbq from Saturday. A rather nice souvenir I think :). I'm considering converting it to gas, and need to get me a hotplate.