PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

Rum Pig
10th February 2007, 11:04 PM
HI all
Just started woodturning and loving it. I have only had 5 lessons and already looking at buying my first lathe. I think I will be a pen addict and it is fairly safe to say that no one in my family will need to buy a pen again once I get my lathe. So far I have turned out 3 pens a honey-dipping thing a bowl (pic attached) and a vase and just stated a goblet. I love getting to work and reading this forum and can not wait till the day that I can post something helpful or impressive. Hope you like my simple bowl I was happy for my first attempt.:D:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th February 2007, 11:35 PM
Trust me, the lessons show. Even if you have only had 5. :2tsup:

From the shadow-line you look to have managed a fairly even thickness and I can't see any tooling marks. You either did a helluva lot of sanding or have used the tools correctly. (Either is acceptable, but one's a LOT quicker than t'other. :wink: ) You've managed a nice, usable form too. Good show, I'm looking forward to seeing your goblet!

BTW, it's usually a good idea to post the timber used and type of finish along with pix of your work. :D

Rum Pig
11th February 2007, 12:03 AM
The timber was Camphor Laurel and I think the finish was EEE. The sanding was minimal (I think anyway) I did have Great coaching from Ian. Thankyou for your kind comment.:B

TTIT
11th February 2007, 12:06 AM
As Skew said, impressive first bowl - goodonya! :U Lessons eh! - damned good idea - wish I had thought of that :shrug: but where the hell do you find a teacher in Humpty-doo - or a lathe for that matter??:roll: :; Welcome to the forum mate!

Rum Pig
11th February 2007, 12:24 AM
Humpty Doo is about 30min from Darwin. As for the lathe I will need to buy it down south and freight it up
How do you get the little pic under your name:rolleyes:??

Rum Pig
11th February 2007, 12:30 AM
found it.:D

rodent
11th February 2007, 01:46 AM
I agree with skew and ttit the lessons show . good form and clean lines should make a good bowl for the side table.

Gil Jones
11th February 2007, 05:34 AM
Very fine bowl! I like the rim treatment.

hughie
11th February 2007, 09:55 AM
All I can do is echo the previous comments. Also to agree with Gil on your treatment of the edge. A good edge treatment can save a bowl from mediocrity.

Look forward to your next piece :2tsup:

ss_11000
11th February 2007, 12:31 PM
top job, especially for a first effort.

OGYT
11th February 2007, 12:55 PM
First bowl is definately a keeper! Good on ya.
Welcome to the forum!.... from an outsider... :o)

BernieP
11th February 2007, 06:18 PM
G'Day R P

Great first bowl keep the pictures coming!

Cheers
Bernie

Speanwoody
11th February 2007, 09:24 PM
great work you must be well pleased, now you'll start spending the money on lathes and tools, its an evil addiction, only joking, enjoy it

Rum Pig
11th February 2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all your kind words :B you make want to go out and turn something right know but I have to be strong and wait till Saturday (that is when I have my lessons):woot:. Since you have been so kind I will get a photo of my vase for you to comment on (I do not mind if you give constructive criticism) sometime this week. :)

Cheers Justin

powderpost
11th February 2007, 10:11 PM
If your vase is as good as your first bowl, you are get the similar comments as for your excellent bowl. Well done. As for being kind, the comments were well justified.
Jim

Little Festo
12th February 2007, 12:08 AM
Hello Justin,

Really good effort, particularly for a first effort. Ian's a great teacher. I miss the dusty workshop, coffee, buiscuts and conversation. Is Robin and Christine still turning on a Saturday?? Please tell Ian Peter says hello.

Peter

Rum Pig
12th February 2007, 01:28 PM
HI Peter
You are right Ian is a great teacher. Robin & Christine are still turning up on Saturdays and turning out some nice stuff. I will let them know that you said HI.

Justin

shedman
14th February 2007, 04:00 PM
I too have just started turning and wish I could be as proud of my first attempt as you should be. I am only too aware that all my toolmarks are visible so obviously did not sand for long enough to cover the evidence of poor use of tools. Maybe a lesson would be a good idea.

Well done
Shedman