PDA

View Full Version : GiutarFetish?

craigb
11th February 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm thinking of buying some GFS pickups from this mob.
Has anybody in Oz bought from them?

old_picker
11th February 2007, 04:24 PM
Ya I have.
I played usin dream 90's and dream 180's.a lot over the last year or so...
Also had set of brooklyns i had on big ole hollowbody but thought they were way too bright
I got a dream 180 [lead] an dream 90 [rythm] on my old thinline tele and i reckon it kicks major ?????. Jay's pickups are pretty nice for that end of the market but i wouldnt use em on a guitar i built. If i go to that amouht of trouble I want good name pickups at least seymour duncans which I have never been disappointed with. Not cheap but way better price than say bardons for a eg.at US$170.00 but about the test tele pickups around. You can get duncans for around US$60.00

What type of guitar?

craigb
11th February 2007, 04:59 PM
What type of guitar?

Epiphone Dot 335 (Chinese)

I was thinking of swapping out the pickups for some Vintage '59's.

The people over on the Epiphone Forums reckon it's worth it. :)

SD's would be nice I'm sure but would be getting up to around what I paid for the guitar for a set. :-

old_picker
11th February 2007, 06:51 PM
Well if you likes the guitar then its a keeper. what's wrong with putting in a decent pair of pickups? You can always put the crappy ones back when you offload it

Dont get me wrong the gfs pickups are pretty good and prolly all you need. At that price when you order em you can get a couple or three sets of different types. You can always sell what you dont use later

JupiterCreek
12th February 2007, 09:02 PM
I've been buying from them for the past couple of years and they've always been great to deal with. I've bought the Tele Deluxe pickups, the alnico Strat sets (top of the range and the ones below), heaps of the Tele Modern Vintage blade style bridge and neck pickups, heaps of the alnico Tele neck pickups, a couple of Dream 90's, a Mean 90 (did that change my crappy Epi LP Jr!!!!! made it a different guitar!), a few of their PAFs, some soapbar p(0's and a few of their blowout pickups and some of their hardware.

They also resell Wilkinson hardware, one of my favourites, but I've found a few cheaper suppliers, particularly the seller "bez-dez" on eBay.

craigb
12th February 2007, 09:47 PM
Well I've ordered a set of vintage '59's from them. I selected standar Air postage. Do you know how long it takes?

Including postage it was $114 for the pair. All the reviews I've read rate them pretty highly.

To buy the SD's in Oz, they seem to work out at arounfd the $150 mark each.

No doubt they are a better option but given my playing skill level (pretty bloody average - and that's on a good day :rolleyes: ) the price is a bit hard to justify.

I really like my Dot but I reckon I'll probably like her even more with some halfway decent pickups in her. :)

Cheers

JupiterCreek
12th February 2007, 11:24 PM
Shipping is usually between a week and 2 and a bit weeks. I placed my last order on the Wednesday night SA time and it arrived the following Friday, so 10 days all up. It's a good service.

contrebasse
13th February 2007, 10:15 AM
Someone please correct the typo in the header of this topic!!!! ... every time I come to this forum it rankles ...

silentC
13th February 2007, 10:21 AM
What is it about bass players?

contrebasse
13th February 2007, 01:18 PM
They know how to spel "fettisch", not like web developers ... :D

silentC
13th February 2007, 01:24 PM
(I see they haven't fixed the smiley problem)

:U

old_picker
13th February 2007, 04:38 PM
mm don get me onto bass players
snicker snicker :D:D

craigb
21st February 2007, 10:46 AM
Well the pickups turned up this morning, only 9 Days after I ordered them so a pretty prompt delivery really.

Now I've just got to install them. Never having done this kind of thing before, is there anything I need to be aware of, other than attaching fishing line to the pots to make it easier to re-install them?

I'm assuming that they'll be a straight swap for the stock Epi pickups.
The new GFS Vintage '59's have 2 wires plus the shield.

old_picker
21st February 2007, 06:50 PM
follow the wiring diagrams supplied
the colours will different on the wires
it seems pretty scary at 1st but once you do it a time or two its nothing

you be hoping for better sound
remember with new strings it will sound better so wait a while till the strings mellow out before you really know what you got

lets know how it goes

craigb
21st February 2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah thanks.

They don't come with a wiring diagram for a 335 but they do have one for a Les Paul. I guess I just follow that one?

I'll definitely post on how the experience went. The strings on it at the moment are fairly new D'Adarios (bit of a shame to cut their life short actually). I'll be replacing them with the same strings.

I plan to record some samples before and after the replacement job.
Should be an interesting exercise.

Cheers
Craig