PDA

View Full Version : Work experience, Sydney

fts_sjk
11th February 2007, 09:00 PM
Hi.
I'm interested in learning how to build/repair guitars, but I have nowhere to start, but there is a work expereince program at my school, (Ryde Secondary college), and i thought that it would be a good oppurtunity to start to learn how to build/repair guitars.

is there any luthiers positioned in sydney that would take a year 10 student? I don't expect any hands on building/repairing. i'm happy to sit down and watch. Of course, i can sweep and vaccum.

The Work Experience program at Ryde Secondary College takes place from Monday the 28th of May 2007 to Friday the 1st of June 2007. A duration of 5 days.

bricks
11th February 2007, 09:08 PM
I dont go to school and i have a job but can i come too!

kiwigeo
11th February 2007, 09:36 PM
Get your fingers walking on the keyboard and search out Sydney luthiers and guitar shops that do repairs. Then get your fingers dialing and ring 'em up....

Gerard Gilet at Gilet Guitars might be a good person to talk to.....he should be in the Sydney phonebook.

Good luck.

rona
11th February 2007, 09:58 PM
fts sjk,
What you need to do is exactly what kiwigeo has stated above, go through the yellow pages, and if necessary some of the area phone books and make a few phone calls.If you have relations or friends in various parts of Sydney aim for those areas first otherwise you may have to obtain board in a motel or private residence for the week.
I would start looking as of tomorrow as this trade is very limited, and some other students may have similiar ideas. Your Careers teacher should also be of assistance, but be prepaired to write letters or make phone calls on your own,
I was a Careers teacher for fifteen years before I retired, as well as a woodwork and graphics teacher. I used to take 85 - 90 students per year to Melbourne for their work experience each year; fortunately we had access to a government hostel which catered for about 70 students, the others staying with relations.
OK, Good Luck and don't be dissapointed if you get a few no's in the early stages, keep trying.

Regards,
Ron.

JackG
11th February 2007, 10:06 PM
I would definitely give a try to Gerard Gillet he often seem to have some young and not so young persons building their own guitars or doing some work in his workshop.

He is really passionate about guitars and loves to share his knowledge.

Oh there is another guy that is pretty good too i think his name's Malibu and he makes archops :) (just kidding on this one)

Bleedin Thumb
11th February 2007, 10:24 PM
Making guitars ain't work.... get a real job ya bum!

fanlee
17th February 2007, 07:16 AM
Making guitars ain't work.... get a real job ya bum!

.....and a haircut....:D