PDA

View Full Version : Never send a spindle gouge to do a roughing gouge's work

Tristan Croll
16th June 2003, 12:04 PM
Hi all,

Long time no post! Finally got some spare time to spend with the lathe on Sunday, and so decided to see what I could do with a rather large, rather square piece of black heart sassafras (thanks again, Kev!) that I'd been looking at for the last six months or so. Anyway, mounted it up, set the lathe on slow, and began the arduous task of rounding it down with my 3/8 spindle gouge (I don't currently own a roughing gouge). I also no longer own a 3/8 spindle gouge. A combination of hard, heavy timber, and me letting the gap between the toolrest and the workpiece get a bit too large (about an inch), and suddenly I found myself holding the handle of a tool snapped approximately halfway along the shaft, and with a profusely bleeding hole in the pad of my right middle finger, as well as a shallow slice in my left index finger. It would seem that there is is a reason why roughing gouges are so solid... :rolleyes: (Oh, I did finish it, by the way, and it turned out to be one of my better pieces, although still by no means perfect - a natural edged bowl about 20 cm diameter with an inset lid of cooba, which gave a really nice contrast).

Wood Borer
16th June 2003, 01:41 PM
How does the Blood Red stain look on the black heart sassafras?

- Wood Borer

Tristan Croll
16th June 2003, 02:08 PM
:eek: Very red. Thankfully, I only got it on the piece after it was finished with shellawax, so it wiped straight off (gotta love that stuff!).

Tristan Croll
17th June 2003, 09:56 AM
Anyway, here's a pic of the finished product. By no means perfect, but I'm reasonably happy with it, and since it's a birthday present, the recipient isn't allowed to complain! :D

Wood Borer
17th June 2003, 10:14 AM
Tristan,

Is this a plug for Shellawax? This photo proves Shellawax repels blood.

If you see Neil advertising this as a feature you should hit him for a sample as payment for the new marketing idea!

Your next step is to see if bits of bone from your hand affect the shellawax.

Your bowl looks really good apart from the lack of dovetail joints! I am not a turner but maybe one day .....

- Wood Borer

rsser
21st June 2003, 01:15 PM
Wouldn't a good size bowl gouge be a better option than a roughing gouge?

Ern

Tristan Croll
23rd June 2003, 09:59 AM
Yep, that's what I ended up finishing it with (quite a versatile tool, really).