PDA

View Full Version : Tool racks

buzzy bee
12th February 2007, 04:08 AM
Hi

Anyone got any idea of good ways to store tools, I have a few cabinets and simple racks but am running out of wall space, I don't want them just in a box.

I thought instead of having Curtains in my workshop to have wooden shutters, ply wood on batton frame maybe and then when they are closed I have a expanse of ply to store more tools, then just open them or make the hinges lift off, so I can get full access to the window if needed!

What does everyone think, and clever ideas for me to try?

Cheers

Dave

jaspr
12th February 2007, 08:43 PM
I think your idea of using the inside of window shutters is a clever solution. I've seen people use the backs of doors for tool storage.

A couple of other thoughts -

* do you have any bench space without cupboards or drawers under? You could build a cabinet full of shallow drawers for tools.

* I don't have on myself, but I also like the idea of shallow wall cabinets that have multiple hinged panels within - with brackets for holding tools on both sides. This way you can double your hanging space.

* do you have exposed roofing frames that can have shelves between them? No good for tools, but you can use this space to store timber and odds and sods that otherwise get in the way - freeing up more floor space for benches/cabinets.

I currently store most of my hand tools on a plywood panel with dowel hangers. It's avery inefficient way of storing tools, as it takes up a lot of wall space. I'm going with drawers. I'm building a module to fit under my work bench.

cheers
jas

BobL
12th February 2007, 09:05 PM
Seen these vertical drawers? (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=313135&postcount=37).

There are a lot more tools in these draws now. I need new photos.

Cheers

Wild Dingo
14th February 2007, 03:13 AM
Yes Bob you do... and some more detail if you dont mind ol son cause I reckon those draws would be a damned sight better than the usual ones :2tsup:

Andy Mac
14th February 2007, 09:43 AM
I like those drawers, Bob. :2tsup: Hanging stuff on both sides of a board works well, very space-efficient.
I've done that in my main tool cabinet (I think I posted some shots somewhere), and also in my file cabinet, which effectively has 5 tool hanging panels overlapping within 250mm. See here:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=21864&highlight=filing+cabinet
There was also a simple version in a Shopnotes mag some time back, using pegboard. The main thing to remember when overlapping rack/boards like this, is to put your most used tools to the front!:-
Look forward to seeing what you come up with, Dave.

Cheers,

joe greiner
15th February 2007, 12:04 AM
Speaking of filing cabinets, I have a couple real filing cabinets. Garage sales, max. US$10 per drawer. Great for small power tools: Circular saw, Belt sanders, Right-angle grinder with accessories (cutoff wheels, cup brush, Lancelot,etc.), Scroll saw in its own drawer laid sideways on scrap piece of carpet. Also some supplies such as wheels/casters, odd-ball hinges, and similar hardware. For fasteners, I made a shelf set from wire fencing mesh to hold substantial jars (not the baby-food toys). Best jars are plastic as they don't shatter when they fall on the concrete; for glass jars, wrap completely with transparent packing tape - still shatter, but stay intact. At previous home, the set hung on a door, now mounted on wall of shop.

Multiple hinged panels can be simple frames faced with pegboard both sides, and stacked like book pages, provided that hinge rail is quite robust. If space permits, protrude from wall like the huge catalog assemblies used by auto parts dealers.

Joe

BobL
15th February 2007, 08:29 AM
Yes Bob you do... and some more detail if you dont mind ol son cause I reckon those draws would be a damned sight better than the usual ones :2tsup:

OK - have to go away for a few days, I'll do it when I get back.