PDA

View Full Version : Dolls House materials

DaveInOz
16th June 2003, 04:52 PM
I'm looking for help on sourcing materials for finishing a dolls house i.e. Mini wallpaper, brick paper, lighting etc. in Melbourne Metro, Western Suburbs or Sleepy Hollow. Further out if required (she's worth it)

I've seen Aussiedollshouses.com.au but I'm looking for others. (I specificaly want 1:6 but anything helps)

Wood Borer
17th June 2003, 09:48 AM
Dave,

I have an interest in dolls houses but it has never gotten beyond an interest. My dumb comments on this matter should be excused on the basis of ignorance.

Have you considered making your own wall paper or brick paper using a drawing package on a PC? (For example Coreldraw) and then print it out.

I could always knock up a sample for you in return for advice on making dolls houses.

Our grand daughter will be wanting one soon which will cause an avalanche effect with the nieces. Do you reckon that is sexist?

- Wood Borer

DaveInOz
17th June 2003, 12:04 PM
WB,

Ignorance or not, it better than I have thought of :)

My advice on making dolls houses .. so far it consists of reading books from the library (although these are all aimed at adult collectors not kid proof ones) and doubling their plans to 1:6 without doubling the material used, use best judgement there. Oh and it will be Mum or Nana that drives the requirments not the child, so make sure you know what they want.
It is more expensive than you think.
Bonus of 1:6 scale is you can get plastic furniture rather than hand crafted 1:12. (eg barbie bedroom suit with the lot approx. $30)
I'm happy to let you know what I find.

re: sexism, my son and daughter have communal toys, no his and hers, he invariably plays with his trains or trucks or workbench, she with her dolls. Both will also for preference play with whatever the other one is playing with.

Wood Borer
17th June 2003, 01:23 PM
Dave,

I look forward to having a grandson or a nephew but so far only girls! They are all fairly young and the only interest they show in woodwork is taking my wood scraps away - they think they are treasure and I certainly don't complain.

Thanks for the advice about the scaling and I note your point about adults specifying what they think the kids want.

Now back to the wall paper and bricks. I will try and knock up a brick wall for you and EMAIL it to you.

I don't have a lathe but I try to do good turns!

- Wood Borer

DaveInOz
17th June 2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks WB

banksiaman
24th June 2003, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure of scales, but if you try a shop that is heavily into model railways, they stock a wide variety of "building materials" - sheets printed in brick, corrugated iron, stone patterns etc.
If they were to the scale you were after, they might be more colourfast than a computer printout.

Just a thought...