PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for non native timber plantation

dadpad
13th February 2007, 02:29 PM
I have a client who wishes to set aside a small area (hectare or so) for imported timber trees.

The area is quite damp (in Australian terms) and is located within the 800mm plus rainfall zone of Victoria at the bottom of a slope. The area would be subject to frost and occasional snow.
I have suggested Black Walnut and Californian Redwood But am unsure if the soil depth will meet these trees requirements.

I will accept any suggestions of imported/non native trees to plant this area out to. Dont worry about whether your suggestion will fit the area I can research that. I just need some suggestions to start the ball rolling.

Gimme something to work with!

scottyk
13th February 2007, 03:59 PM
teak, Paulownia, Douglas Fir.

Bob Willson
13th February 2007, 04:53 PM
Why is he setting this area aside?

As a timber I can recommend African ebony. If his purpose is to make money then this will do it ..... eventually.

How about some American cherry too.

And birds eye maple

And purpleheart.

dadpad
13th February 2007, 08:07 PM
Why is he setting this area aside?
We are creating a shelterbelt farm. Many of the fenclines are planted out to 3/5 row shelterbelts of Aust native timber and understory species. as are underproductive areas. The target is 20% of the farm planted to timber/environmental species without affecting annual production weight from stock. I believe its do-able, up to 30% plantation cover has been done before in the western district but of course no-one will believe me until we prove it here.
This particular area is next to his front gate and we just felt we should do something a little different. We might actually end up with a mix of specialty native timber species ie redbox and imported deciduouse types.
Tropical and subtropical species (purple heart) are probably out unless we can find evidence that they will grow in foothill conditions.

Thanks for the suggestions cherry, maple, and ebony are possibles.

Clinton1
13th February 2007, 10:56 PM
I'm still baised towards Black Walnut (in a good way)... and was also going to suggest American Cherry.

bsrlee
13th February 2007, 11:13 PM
American Chestnut - nearly extinct in Nth America due to soil fungus attack - there is a US based Preservation/breeding society and I saw a report a few months ago of some being found in the wild but the new growth is being killed off after a year of so. Getting some cloned 'seedlings' without the blight could do some good - rare species propogated, nuts for sale until timber is harvested and currently rare timber being made available.

It used to occur in most forrested areas in the US, so Victoria should suit.

martrix
13th February 2007, 11:18 PM
Snakewood (Piratinera guianensis):C :; :roll:

Rocker
14th February 2007, 03:39 AM
American Red and White Oak. But I agree that Cherry and Black Walnut would also be very worthwhile.

Rocker